• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Your Answers:

1) could take from 6 to 16 months depnding on your case number if its low or high and other factors also such as field office processing times
2) For one person total cost about 2000 depnding how much you pay for medical exams as it varies from doctor to another, all other fees are same for one perosn.

FIRSTLY CONGRATS!!!... & secondly I just have a couple quick and important Q's : )

1. If you get all your forms & payments together quickly - what is the quickest time do you think you could go through the whole AOS process? So from time of notification that you have been a DV 2011 selectee to when you actually get your green card?... would it be 9-10 months or even a year to do this all?

2. What is the ALL UP AOS cost to go through this process - Including all application fees, medical, biometrics etc.? I don't need a breakdown but how much have you paid all up just to get a Green Card?

Thx Natalie : )

Yes a B1 can apply for Aos Given that you are eligible through family, marriage or other ways. But having a B1 itself doesnt not make you eligible to Adjust your status.

Thanks so much for the reply, what i meant to say was if one has a B1 and is in the states , and you find out that you won the DV lottery, can one apply for AOS, in order to get the GC while in the states?

If you have a B1 and you were in the states and won the DV lottery, then yes you can adjust your status and get the GC.

BUT becareful...you can only do that while you are in "status". meaning that if you won the DV lottery while in the states and lets say your B1 visa has a 6 month max stay limit, then you would have to make sure that there is enough time for your DV number to be current and that you sent your AOS application within that time frame.

If for instance your visa allow to stay for a period of 6 months and you won DV lottery but your number will become current in 9 months then you cant stay and do AOS because that 3 month extra period will be considered violating your B1 requirement and at that point you will be considered out of status and you will lose any right for getting a GC.

So the best solution in such cases is going back to your home country and do the consular processing through the consulate.

Thanks so much for the reply, what i meant to say was if one has a B1 and is in the states , and you find out that you won the DV lottery, can one apply for AOS, in order to get the GC while in the states?

If you have a B1 and you were in the states and won the DV lottery, then yes you can adjust your status and get the GC.

BUT becareful...you can only do that while you are in "status". meaning that if you won the DV lottery while in the states and lets say your B1 visa has a 6 month max stay limit, then you would have to make sure that there is enough time for your DV number to be current and that you sent your AOS application within that time frame.

If for instance your visa allow to stay for a period of 6 months and you won DV lottery but your number will become current in 9 months then you cant stay and do AOS because that 3 month extra period will be considered violating your B1 requirement and at that point you will be considered out of status and you will lose any right for getting a GC.

So the best solution in such cases is going back to your home country and do the consular processing through the consulate.

Thanks so much,I thought as much but the things is I am on a B1 visa , but i am doing clinical training hence when my 6months is up, i can leave and re-enter the US in a day or max a week due to supporting letter given to me. Hence given the scenario you explained, would my leaving and coming back in jeopardize the AOS process lets say for instance i become current in 9 months? ..........And also i cant go back to do CP due to my clinical training

Whats your case number??

Thanks so much,I thought as much but the things is I am on a B1 visa , but i am doing clinical training hence when my 6months is up, i can leave and re-enter the US in a day or max a week due to supporting letter given to me. Hence given the scenario you explained, would my leaving and coming back in jeopardize the AOS process lets say for instance i become current in 9 months? ..........And also i cant go back to do CP due to my clinical training

thx as44xxx... and how do you know if your case number is low or high? - is that based on what day you made an entry into the DV lottery or by what number you have been pulled out in the random selection of the lottery and then sent the first NL?

When is your interview month for the green card - I see you've done the medical back in December 2010 as your last step...

thx as44xxx... and how do you know if your case number is low or high? - is that based on what day you made an entry into the DV lottery or by what number you have been pulled out in the random selection of the lottery and then sent the first NL?

When is your interview month for the green card - I see you've done the medical back in December 2010 as your last step...

September

I really dont know what the case numbers are based on or whats the math behind it..I think it is totally random and indepndent of when you submitted your DV entry. Anyways how they assign case numbers is not our concern. What we care about is that once you are selected and you get the 1NL or for coming DV years you will have to check online to know your case number.

once you know your number you then look at prior years visa bulletin to determine roughly when to expect your number to be current and also based on that you will know if your number is low or high.

Numbers starting from 1K to 25K are considered low depending on the region. anything higher will most likely be high but for the 4 years almost all numbers became current.

Hi all,

we had an interview almost 2 weeks ago. Interview went easy, mostly yes/no questions from I-485. The officer told us at the beginning that she is not familiar with details of DV cases and she would need to double check eligibility requirements after the interview. So before we left she told us that everything looks ok and she only need to check a few things to be sure that it's a proper DV case. She also told that she will check if the visa number is available and we can expect our GC within 14 days if she wouldn't find any "red flags" in our file later on (she also mentioned that given all the documents the probability that there will be problems is negligible).

We were very excited after the interview. Now it's almost 14 days and nothing changed, our case status is still "Initial Review". I called USCIS and was told that they can't help now and suggested to call after July 5th when they will be able to submit service request to FO regarding our case.

KCC sent our file on May 5th and the file was on the table on the day of the interview, so shouldn't be related to that. Does anybody know if I can do anything now? Is there a way to find officer's phone number and contact FO directly?

thanks

Why don't you make an infopass? It might help.

Hi all,

we had an interview almost 2 weeks ago. Interview went easy, mostly yes/no questions from I-485. The officer told us at the beginning that she is not familiar with details of DV cases and she would need to double check eligibility requirements after the interview. So before we left she told us that everything looks ok and she only need to check a few things to be sure that it's a proper DV case. She also told that she will check if the visa number is available and we can expect our GC within 14 days if she wouldn't find any "red flags" in our file later on (she also mentioned that given all the documents the probability that there will be problems is negligible).

We were very excited after the interview. Now it's almost 14 days and nothing changed, our case status is still "Initial Review". I called USCIS and was told that they can't help now and suggested to call after July 5th when they will be able to submit service request to FO regarding our case.

KCC sent our file on May 5th and the file was on the table on the day of the interview, so shouldn't be related to that. Does anybody know if I can do anything now? Is there a way to find officer's phone number and contact FO directly?

thanks

Hey feel, - thanks a lot for asking.
I kind of was playing passive and all my effort were to walk to the mailbox and look for the IL...
I will call KCC tomorrow to see if my file was requested. I think that can be a good sign if it was. I ask the other people that have received the IL at my FO to check if their file was requested...
I'm kind of hesitant from calling USCIS as so far sounds like they are worthless in providing meaningful information over the phone...
I'm afraid to get disappointed...but maybe I should call them.
I mean the only hope is for them to tell me that they did send me the IL...(in that case it was lost....)
Otherwise they would probably tell me to wait 4 months...
I wonder if I should mention that I know of other people that applied for AOS at the same time, same FO, same month that we are current like me (for ex, Karen) and received their IL

Hey Yoni123,
Any updates on your case? Did you follow-up with USCIS by calling or Infopass?

Last edited by a moderator: