• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 Country of Eligibility Question

hsyte773

Registered Users (C)
hello all!
i have a question regarding my country of eligibility for the dv-2010.

i was born in japan, lived there for a while but have a german passport. i look german, both my parents are german, i was just born in japan... now the question is which country do i use for the dv2010.. its not a problem since both japan and germany are eligible.. but i enter my birthplace and then it says the country of eligibility should usually be the same.. (there are two cases where it is not the same, but i am a third case with is unmentionend.)

please help me out.. what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

That should answer your question

WHAT DO THE TERMS “ELIGIBILITY”, "NATIVE" AND “CHARGEABILITY' MEAN?

ARE THERE ANY SITUATIONS IN WHICH PERSONS WHO WERE NOT BORN IN
A QUALIFYING COUNTRY MAY APPLY?
Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. Your
country of eligibility is not related to where you live. “Native” ordinarily means
someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual's current country of
residence or nationality. For immigration purposes “native” can also mean someone who
is entitled to be “charged” to a country other than the one in which he/she was born under
the provisions of Section 202(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. For example, if
you were born in a country that is not eligible for this year’s DV program, you may claim
chargeability to the country where your derivative spouse was born, but you will not be
issued a DV-1 unless your spouse is also eligible for and issued a DV-2, and both of you
must enter the United States together with the diversity visas. In a similar manner, a
minor dependent child can be “charged” to a parent’s country of birth.
Finally, if you were born in a country not eligible to participate in this year’s DV
program, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as
neither parent was a resident of the ineligible country at the time of the your birth. In
general, people are not considered residents of a country in which they were not born or
legally naturalized if they are only visiting the country, studying in the country
temporarily, or stationed temporarily in the country for business or professional reasons
on behalf of a company or government from a country other than the country in which the
applicant was born. If you claim alternate chargeability, you must indicate such
information on the E-DV electronic online entry form, question #6. Please be aware that
listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e. one to which you cannot
establish a valid claim) may disqualify your entry.

Man, can you read?
Please be aware that
listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e. one to which you cannot
establish a valid claim) may disqualify your entry.

i may? what if i use germany?

I am not sure what you want us to tell you. You were born in Japan, Japan is eligibile, so what is the problem. If you should win you can choose to have your interview in any country that you reside.

when i was born, my japanese birth certificate was transferred into a german one.. so i had german citizenship right away... my birth certificate is german, so i will select germany. what u think med?

You have no choice but to select Japan since the two exceptions mentioned in the instructions only apply if you were born in an ineligible country (which is not the case with you).

Is it that difficult to follow instructions ???

Use Japan as your country eligibility. It is easier to proof this because you already have a Japan Birth Certificate.

I'm in a similar boat like you, my country of birth is different than my country of Citizenship. My parents lived as non-resident/non-Citizen in Germany when I was born. Since Germany doesn't recognized Citizenship through the land of birth, I have Indonesian Citizenship like my parents.

I pick "Germany" as my country of eligibility because I can easily proof my eligibility by showing my German Birth Certificate, Abstammungsurkunde.

when i was born, my japanese birth certificate was transferred into a german one..
What do you mean? Do you have a birth certificate? Does it state you were born in Japan? Or does it miraculousely state now you were born in Germany (probably, letters could have changed their shapes from Japanese to Latin alphabet)?

Take out your birth Certficate and see what does it say there? Is your German birth certificate just a mere translation from the Japanese one or is it an actual birth certificate.

There are several types of Birth Cerificate from Germany. You will need either an Abstammungsurkunde or internationale geburtsurkunde. These are the only two that can be used for the interview.

I had my German birth certificate translated to Indonesian too but its just a mere translation that is used to register my name in the local Indonesian civil registry. It doesn't change my country of birth. So, if you want to claim Germany as country of eligibility, make sure you have the right birth certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for reference, it's only the place of birth that matters, not the country of citizenship or whether you have acquired the citizenship of the country where you were born.

German birth certificates can be obtained (upon request) for any children of German citizens born abroad, but that does not mean that those people can also claim Germany as their country of eligibility.

(By the way, I think the original poster did not even mention that his parents were non-residents at the time of his birth.)

its like this: for americans the birthplace is important point to determine citizenship. but for germans its the bloodline, so this means what citizenship your parents are.. so it doesn't matter where i was born, i am german because both my parents are german. thats why i have a german birth certificate, even though i was born in japan.
this is a very complicated situation, still donjt know if i should pick japan or germany..?