• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010, but I'm student

dimos

Registered Users (C)
Hy everyone!!! I've got a small, but confusing question.
I won DV-2010. I'm gonna send the forms back to KCC, so now I'm filling out them...
So, my situation is next:
I'm still studing in the university, graduation date: July 2010.
There are many questions that I don't know how to better answer them..

- DSP-122
#6.a. Education - it asks to check the highest level COMPLITED.
Should I check High School diploma or University degree, or something else?

#6.b. Same thing, do I have to write down my university name and put "PRESENT" into the box TO (date).? and also degree, N/A, or BS?

-DS230.Part I

#12 - Present Ocupation. Do I have to put in here "STUDENT", (and maybe also write my Gradution Date, or something else)?

#33 - List below all educ. institutions attened. Same question...

These are very confusing questions for me... Don't wanna screw something up... I appreciate your help a lot!!!! Thank you very much!!!

I've got a small, but confusing question.
So what is the question?

- DSP-122
#6.a. Education - it asks to check the highest level COMPLITED.
Should I check High School diploma or University degree, or something else?
Simply check the highest level, that's it. You know better what your highest level is, don't you? Anyways, high school diploma is enough.

#6.b. Same thing, do I have to write down my university name and put "PRESENT" into the box TO (date).? and also degree, N/A, or BS?
Yes, put your university, "present," and the last box can be "BS (in progress)." This is how I did it, and it worked.

-DS230.Part I
#12 - Present Ocupation. Do I have to put in here "STUDENT", (and maybe also write my Gradution Date, or something else)?
Put STUDENT; you are not asked about any dates here, so why bother? The rule of thumb is not to tell what you are not asked for.

#33 - List below all educ. institutions attened. Same question...
What question?

Hi, dimos,

I'm also a student and I graduate in 2010. I have only written about my compleated education and haven't mentioned my university. I'm also working so at Present Ocupation I have written what my job ocupation is.

Now I'm looking for options to continue my study in USA as I want to learn more.

Good luck with your application.

Everything that you can fill out you need to. Q 33, you have to fill out the name of the schools attened and what years and addresses. The space is limited so print small or write on additional paper.

Highest completed level is High School if you are still in College.

Later on you need to privide proof of having funds or being sponsored. They will understand that a student doesn't have savings but you need a sponsor in the USA or parents who are willing to put an amount aside and sign as a sponsor on I-134. The can be sued if you file for a soc. security claim.
Google the form and questions and make sure you can fill it out or have some one, otherwise it will be hard to get approved.

Everything that you can fill out you need to. Q 33, you have to fill out the name of the schools attened and what years and addresses. The space is limited so print small or write on additional paper.

Highest completed level is High School if you are still in College.

Later on you need to privide proof of having funds or being sponsored. They will understand that a student doesn't have savings but you need a sponsor in the USA or parents who are willing to put an amount aside and sign as a sponsor on I-134. The can be sued if you file for a soc. security claim.
Google the form and questions and make sure you can fill it out or have some one, otherwise it will be hard to get approved.

Yeah, it makes sense... I'm just worried that if they see that I have only high school degree they will not invite me for the interview... if I make it to the interview I will have all chances of getting the GC. I have more than $10k savings, I have a sponsor in USA and also I was doing an internship in States in 2007 + I work in my field here in my home coutry... I was just wondering if there is any place in the form where I can write that I'm still in the college and I'm gonna graduate before moving to US...

Yeah, it makes sense... I'm just worried that if they see that I have only high school degree they will not invite me for the interview... if I make it to the interview I will have all chances of getting the GC. I have more than $10k savings, I have a sponsor in USA and also I was doing an internship in States in 2007 + I work in my field here in my home coutry... I was just wondering if there is any place in the form where I can write that I'm still in the college and I'm gonna graduate before moving to US...

Yes there is a place....# 6 High School Diploma (cross this one)
College, no degree (cross this one as well and write next to it"current student")

Underneath fill out all school, past and present.

So what is the question?

Simply check the highest level, that's it. You know better what your highest level is, don't you? Anyways, high school diploma is enough.

Yes, put your university, "present," and the last box can be "BS (in progress)." This is how I did it, and it worked.

Put STUDENT; you are not asked about any dates here, so why bother? The rule of thumb is not to tell what you are not asked for.

What question?

Thank you! This is very helpful!
Have you already been interviewed?
How was it?

Hi, dimos,

I'm also a student and I graduate in 2010. I have only written about my compleated education and haven't mentioned my university. I'm also working so at Present Ocupation I have written what my job ocupation is.

Now I'm looking for options to continue my study in USA as I want to learn more.

Good luck with your application.

So I'm not the only student here :) That's great! Where r u from? what's your CN?

I basically did the same as this and just had a successful interview last week. The only thing I did differently was where masematn wrote "BS (in progress)", I wrote "N/A (PhD in progress)".

As long as you meet the minimum requirements (i.e. a high school diploma) then whether you get an interview or not only depends on your case number, not on your higher education.

The only thing I did differently was where masematn wrote "BS (in progress)", I wrote "N/A (PhD in progress)".
In fact, the exact phrase I used in my form was "PhD in progress." :) I wrote "BS" as an example for the forum member who had a question. Out of curiosity, why did you put N/A? Isn't PhD the same degree as others?

In fact, the exact phrase I used in my form was "PhD in progress." :) I wrote "BS" as an example for the forum member who had a question. Out of curiosity, why did you put N/A? Isn't PhD the same degree as others?

I put the N/A on form DSP-122 because the question was "DEGREE(S) OR CERTIFICATE(S) RECEIVED", so I decided that as I hadn't received it yet, it wasn't applicable.

In fact on form DS-230 I just put "PhD in progress" without the N/A as that question was just "DEGREE OR DIPLOMA", it didn't mention anything about being received yet.

I know it was pedantic to differentiate the two answers and I'm now sure it wouldn't have made any difference at all, but that's what I did at the time :D

I put the N/A on form DSP-122 because the question was "DEGREE(S) OR CERTIFICATE(S) RECEIVED", so I decided that as I hadn't received it yet, it wasn't applicable.
That makes sense! Even with "in progress" it is still out of place when you look at it strictly. Good for both of us that KCC folks are not so strict - as both our forms were accepted... Good luck with your move!

That makes sense! Even with "in progress" it is still out of place when you look at it strictly. Good for both of us that KCC folks are not so strict - as both our forms were accepted... Good luck with your move!

Thanks masematn. I still have quite a lot to get done before my move, but I'm looking forward to it :)

Now that I've been through the system I can look back and see that the KCC and consulate folk are very sensible and accommodating. I don't think I needed to be as concerned about precisely how I answered the questions as I thought I did at the time. I had actually made a mistake on my DS-230 which I didn't realise until the week before my interview, but I told the consulate and it was no problem at all. They understand that people make mistakes and were happy to correct it.

So I'm not the only student here :) That's great! Where r u from? what's your CN?
Sorry for the late replay - I had some problems with my ISP.
I'm from Bulgaria. My CN is 2010EU00016XXX;
I'm about to finish my bachelor degree as Electronic Engineer soon. I'll be the first engineer form my family :D

MY friend is a student too and in College in the USA. She filled out High School degree and also crossed College as present student. The requirement is clear, you need succesfully have finished High School and have proof of funds or sponsor.

Sorry for the late replay - I had some problems with my ISP.
I'm from Bulgaria. My CN is 2010EU00016XXX;
I'm about to finish my bachelor degree as Electronic Engineer soon. I'll be the first engineer form my family :D

Cool! Congratulations! Your family should be proud of you!
Your number is kinda good, mine is not so... My CN is 27XXX, which is kinda F***ED UP, but atleast it's good that I got it, chances are pretty high anyway...
I'm kinda engineer myself, not electronical though... Besides university I'm working for Versata doing Java development in Financial Sector... Hopefully they will gimme job offer in States, it would double my chances of getting GC...

Anyhow, all best to you, I do hope that we'll get those GCs ;) I need it soooooo much :D

I work as a software developer too. :D
It's a bit hard to work and study but I've got used to it. The company I work for is big but not international so no job for me :rolleyes:

Good luck fellow programmer!