• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2009 Visa Numbers are Over?

DV09-cmb

Registered Users (C)
I know its a scary possibility, but how can one know how many visas from the original 55k are given out and how many are left ?

It seems that none of the past years they have issued all 55k.

Can those of you who will have interviews in the coming days try ask your visa officers about this? and post here if you get any info.

Also, it is obvious that the program is over if all 55k numbers are exhausted before 09/30, and for any given COUNTRY if the issued number cross over the 7% mark of total 55k (3850?)

My Q is, will it also be over for a given REGION if 50% of the originally notified people are issued with visas?

any info?

On what info do you base your opinion about not all the 55 K visa being issued?

I've actually seen that data myself. There is a really interesting website where you can get loads of info about immigration statistics from previous years.
http://www.dhs.gov/files/statistics/publications/yearbook.shtm

Under the "Data Tables" you can download excel spread sheets with all the details about how many of each sort of visa were issued, where they were from etc. I've spent a bit of time digging through them myself out of curiosity.

In 2008 there were 41761 visas issued under the DV programme. I can't remember the exact amounts in previous years, but the data going right back to the start of the DV programme is available for anybody interested.

To the OP: I suspect that unless somebody knows somebody working for KCC there will be no way for any of us to find this out. I don't think we will know how many visas were issued this year until after its closed and they release the stats for 2009.

Statistics

Not able to post links so put a www before first dot

.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/lpr_fr_2008.pdf

Legal Permanent resident Flow by Major category of admission: Fiscal years 2006 to 2008

Diversity programs:

2008:
41,761 3.8 %

2007:
42,127 4.0 %

2006:
44,471 3.5 %

% is of all visas issued each year

I just got curious and checked how many DV visas were issued back to 2000 (rounded off, obviously):

2008 - 42000
2007 - 42000
2006 - 44000
2005 - 46000
2004 - 50000
2003 - 46000
2002 - 43000
2001 - 42000
2000 - 51000

I just got curious and checked how many DV visas were issued back to 2000 (rounded off, obviously):

2008 - 42000
2007 - 42000
2006 - 44000
2005 - 46000
2004 - 50000
2003 - 46000
2002 - 43000
2001 - 42000
2000 - 51000

Ah, so these people doesn't want to issue all the visas? Why are they holding onto the rest?

To the OP: I suspect that unless somebody knows somebody working for KCC there will be no way for any of us to find this out. I don't think we will know how many visas were issued this year until after its closed and they release the stats for 2009.

The data is interesting, thanks.
But the greatest unknown is this....these numbers 'may be' just those which were issued and actually entered US. There may be a small number who has given up after receiving visas, which after 6 months ( and if not entered US) get revoked. So the actual number issued may be slightly higher.

And what is happening to those 5000 out of the 55k they reserve for some South American countries?

Last edited by a moderator:
Europeans

Can someone explain whether actually this year the European DV visa chatter in forums is 'low' 'cos ppl there are not interested to move to US due to the economic downturn?

But the greatest unknown is this....these numbers 'may be' just those which were issued and actually entered US. There may be a small number who has given up after receiving visas, which after 6 months ( and if not entered US) get revoked. So the actual number issued may be slightly higher.

And what is happening to those 5000 out of the 55k they reserve for some South American countries?

I think the stats is about visas issued not those that entered the US.

Ah, so these people doesn't want to issue all the visas? Why are they holding onto the rest?

Interesting question. I just assumed that it was purely a timing issue - that they didn't get through all of them by the end of Sept. But there is really no way to know why they don't issue all of them.

That's possible. It's not 100% clear whether they are counting visas issued or visas activated, but I can't believe the number of people getting visas issued but not actually going to the US is very high. By the time you have your visa issued you are within 6 months of knowing whether or not you plan to go for sure and you have spent quite a lot of money on medical exams and visa fees. Sure a few will drop out for various reasons after that, but it can't really be very large numbers by the time it gets to that stage.

I think the 5000 NACARA Diversity Visas must be included in the stats, unless they don't call them Diversity Visas for some reason. Even if they are not counted though, for the last few years there has still been several thousand less than the 50000 available to everybody else so it doesn't really make a difference. They have not used them all up no matter which way you count them.

It strange somehow. After all 100000 1st NL:s were sent and you could think that of those people you could select well qualified 50000. They must be very strict when choosing selectees.

I think there are people who do not qualify, even if they won. I mean they do not have the studies or qualification necessary, or they filled their application wrong, or they forgot to fill something (like a child from a previous marriage), things like that that might disqualify them.
And also there are people who do not want to leave anymore their home countries because maybe they are afraid, or their situation got better...

Visa availability

Are the interviews still going on strong or are the Visa numbers dwindling down?

any hope for ppl having interviews in Sept ?

when did visa numbers finished up last year?

any idea or............ things are literally just 'up in da air' ?

I think that many people never realized the cost that are involved after you win the lotery and how much waiting time there is after winning. On top of that it is something else to dream about moving to the USA than in reality doing so and IMO people already over here know for sure that they want to be here, all others unless they have visited more than once only have a vision of what to expect and reality can be different and scary once reality kick's in.

For people with kids the cost's are even higher so you have to be completely sure before you really jump into this adventure.

It strange somehow. After all 100000 1st NL:s were sent and you could think that of those people you could select well qualified 50000. They must be very strict when choosing selectees.

Also not all 100,000 will send their letters back