• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

dv 2008 marriage question

luboss

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My case number is 5xxx. When I was applying for the green card lottery I was single. But now my status changed and I am married. I am gonna sent the forms together with my wife. Do I need to attach a marriage certificate when sending a first mail to KCC? Do they need certified one? Or I just need to put date of our wedding? We are currently in USA on J1 visa, but we are going to apply through CP. Is it better to do it from here or from my home country? I am from Slovakia. Please help me someone because I don't know what to do.

I hope you got married before you received NL. Even if it was before the postal date on the envelope of NL it is great. Otherwise you will have to be answering some questions and convincing the consular officer that the marriage was not related to green card. Please read the following topic very carefully.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=246544

If I were you I would send the forms and marriage certificate along with a letter informing your current marial status..

Hi,

My case number is 5xxx. When I was applying for the green card lottery I was single. But now my status changed and I am married. I am gonna sent the forms together with my wife. Do I need to attach a marriage certificate when sending a first mail to KCC? Do they need certified one? Or I just need to put date of our wedding? We are currently in USA on J1 visa, but we are going to apply through CP. Is it better to do it from here or from my home country? I am from Slovakia. Please help me someone because I don't know what to do.

I got married after i recieved NL. But me and my girlfriend are already 3 years together, so we were planning to do so anyway. We have pictures to prove. Is it gonna be a problem? What kind of letter should I write to KCC?

1- Then you have to be very carefull. Collect any material that could be evidence to prove your relationship with her started before NL. For example, hotel reservations where you stayed together, travel itineraries you had, any document showing that you have been living together for the time earlier than NL. Indicating same permanent address on ID's or official documents in US can be good proof, etc etc. Take all these documents to CP.

2- Write an official letter and attach the marriage certificate, send them all to KCC with forms (do not forget to fill the form DS 230 Part I and DS 230 part II for your wife).

Good luck..

I got married after i recieved NL. But me and my girlfriend are already 3 years together, so we were planning to do so anyway. We have pictures to prove. Is it gonna be a problem? What kind of letter should I write to KCC?

Thank you dragoman so much. Your answers are very helpful to me. I would like to ask something else. How doest this official letter should look like. Marriage certificate is not enough? We have to wait for marriage certificate for 3 weeks. Should I wait or should I send the forms now. Does it matter how fast I do it? Thank you so much!!!

BTW, why do you prefer CP..? It might be risky in your case..If I were you I would go to AOS, because your number is appropriate to do this. I think others here who have more expereince and knowledge than me will also confirm me..good luck..!

Last edited by a moderator:
Then dont send marriage certificate now, just official letter addressed to KCC saying that you marital status changed and you got married, during interview you could provide all documents etc. By this letter you will be able to create a record on your new case that will really help you at the interview . Good luck again..

Thank you dragoman so much. Your answers are very helpful to me. I would like to ask something else. How doest this official letter should look like. Marriage certificate is not enough? We have to wait for marriage certificate for 3 weeks. Should I wait or should I send the forms now. Does it matter how fast I do it? Thank you so much!!!

Why do you think that CP is risky in my case? Isn't it easier than AOS? Can I write that official letter just by myself or does it need to be certified by somebody? Thank you again. You are a big help for me!

Because you got married after NL. I have learned here from older topics, many winners from East Europe were 'disqualified and banned to enter to US' after the consular officer realized that the marriage was related to GC lottery. Your case might be different ofcourse, but if you go to CP and have an interview there in Bratislava, it will be harder to convince consular officer, because he/she might have prejudice at the beginning. That is my point..all the best.

Why do you think that CP is risky in my case? Isn't it easier than AOS? Can I write that official letter just by myself or does it need to be certified by somebody? Thank you again. You are a big help for me!

you have to attach a copy of a marriage certificate. Wait for it and then send the documents in.

To LucyMO
Hi thank you for reply! Did you have the same problem? The marriage certificate is coming in 3 weeks. Isn't it too late? What do you think. And what do you think is better - to do the process here in US or go home? What is easier? Thank you very much

no, I didn't have the same problem. But it says in the instructions to provide copies of either a marriage certificates or birth certificates, if your situation changed since the application.

Your number is pretty low, so if it becomes current while you are still in the US and in legal status, you could do AOS.

Are you subject to HRR?

To LucyMO

What is HRR? We don't mind to go back to our country. But I was told that CP could by a little bit risky in my case. What do you think? I called a layer and he told me that in my country I can get it faster. Thank you for your help!