during interview, the IO had a big file on me, what's in it?

danny1968

during interview, the IO had a big file on me, what's in it? they were all in a big folder, about half inch thick... I estimate maybe 40 to 50 pieces of paper... some looked really old. I was guessing that it was all the documents that they've had on me since I got me greencard many years ago. I didn't ask the IO, because the interview was going very fast and I was out with the green slip in less than 8 minutes.(according to the stopwatch on my watch)

during interview, the IO had a big file on me, what's in it? they were all in a big folder, about half inch thick... I estimate maybe 40 to 50 pieces of paper... some looked really old. I was guessing that it was all the documents that they've had on me since I got me greencard many years ago. I didn't ask the IO, because the interview was going very fast and I was out with the green slip in less than 8 minutes.(according to the stopwatch on my watch)

Don't worry, it's all the files that "Homeland Security" has on you since they've been wiretapping your home. I hope there's nothing naughty you've been up to the last few months.

All kidding aside, the file contains all your immigration documents since you came to US and applied for your GC.

Don't worry, it's all the files that "Homeland Security" has on you since they've been wiretapping your home. I hope there's nothing naughty you've been up to the last few months.

All kidding aside, the file contains all your immigration documents since you came to US and applied for your GC.

I have been a very good boy, as a greencard holder....!

Now that I am a full US citizen, the naughty stuff can begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

danny
you should have seen mine. when i saw it my heart dropped,hahaha i almost asked what on earth did i do to get a file like that.
did not say anything, but yeah there was a lot of documents. if i had to guess, over 100 pages. if the IO was sitting behind the pile i could have not seen her upper body nor head, NOR hair.
:)

I recommend the Bunny Ranch outside Las Vegas. Gluck!

okay, I meant other naughty stuff..... Bunny Ranch may be a naughty
place, but it is a copmletely legal place.(in Nevada anyway) :D

I must resist urge to start a new thread called:
"What naughty stuff can you do now, as a newly naturalized US citizen?
(something naughty that you couldn't/wouldn't do as a greencard resident)
:D :D :D

If y'all are interested in seeing what's in your file, submit a FOIPA request. It doesn't cost a thing and you will get your entire A-file on a CD. I can tell you that my A-file was 210 pages without my N-400 material as I submitted a FOIPA request 2 years ago. I'm glad I did too, because my lawyer way back told me he had lost my birth certificate and I found (from FOIPA) that he had submitted the original to USCIS and they kept it in my file. I've just requested USCIS to give me back the original. I can't ask my government to send me one, as my country no longer exists - or has a functional government. So something good came out of the FOIPA request.

Last edited by a moderator:
If y'all are interested in seeing what's in your file, submit a FOIPA request. It doesn't cost a thing and you will get your entire A-file on a CD. I can tell you that my A-file was 210 pages without my N-400 material as I submitted a FOIPA request 2 years ago. I'm glad I did too, because my lawyer way back told me he had lost my birth certificate and I found (from FOIPA) that he had submitted the original to USCIS and they kept it in my file. I've just requested USCIS to give me back the original. I can't ask my government to send me one, as my country no longer exists - or has a functional government. So something good came out of the FOIPA request.

LolaLi,

I thought when you send "FOIPA" request, they send you a letter saying "No records found". Do they send you a CD? :confused:

How do you make this request where they send you the CD with all details?

If y'all are interested in seeing what's in your file, submit a FOIPA request. It doesn't cost a thing and you will get your entire A-file on a CD. .......

LolaLi,

Could you tell us how to go about submitting such a request? Is it on the USCIS website?

also, on the CD, do they have all the documents in JPEG or PDF files or something?

Thanks for your help! :)

The form has a question for "type of request", including two separate choices for "Freedom of Information Act" and "Privacy Act". Which one should be selected if requesting the A-file?

The form has a question for "type of request", including two separate choices for "Freedom of Information Act" and "Privacy Act". Which one should be selected if requesting the A-file?

Select FOIA to receive your case files. PA is to request that your information is not shared with others (unless required by law).

Last edited by a moderator:
LolaLi,

Could you tell us how to go about submitting such a request? Is it on the USCIS website?

also, on the CD, do they have all the documents in JPEG or PDF files or something?

Thanks for your help! :)

Just fill out the form BobSmyth pointed you to. You have two options for getting your documents: paper-based or on CD (in PDF format). The paper-based route may incur charges after the first 25-50 copies I believe, so better to stick with the CD format.

You should get the form notarized and also include a copy of your driver license. Like you said, wait a few months for them to send your A-file back and then submit the form to the National Records Center or NRC. This is where all files are kept and archived.

LolaLi,

I thought when you send "FOIPA" request, they send you a letter saying "No records found". Do they send you a CD? :confused:

How do you make this request where they send you the CD with all details?

Hi CrossHairs,

I think you are confusing the FOIPA with FBI rather than the one directly to USCIS. Under the Privacy Act, all government agencies must be transparent with the information they hold about individuals (to a certain degree). Therefore, you can file a FOIPA request to virtually any government agency/office that may have information on you. Just follow the link Bobsymth provided.

Select FOIA to receive your case files. PA is to request that your information is not shared with others (unless required by law).

No - that is not true. The Freedom of Information Act or FOIA is actually for all "public" or non-sensitive information and can be requested by anyone. For example, I could request to see certain files that pertain to you that would not compromise your privacy and security. A good example may be landing records or naturalization records from the 1900s, such as ship manifest, etc. Or it may be a report USCIS has put together that isn't sensitive or confidential.

The Privacy Act does two things:
1) With certain exceptions, the Privacy Act of 1974 permits persons (U.S. citizens or permanent resident aliens) to gain access to information pertaining to themselves in Federal agency records, to have a copy made of all or any part thereof,to correct or amend such records, and to permit individuals to make requests concerning what records pertaining to themselves are collected, maintained, used or disseminated.
2) The Act also prohibits disclosure of any person's records without their written consent, except under certain circumstances as prescribed by the Privacy Act.

So to answer Jack's question, you would file under the Privacy Act as you are looking to get access to your own information - which is not sealed to you.