during interview, the IO had a big file on me, what's in it?

this is interesting and valuable information. i did not know that we could order such a CD and that too without any charges in these days. We will wait till our citizenship process completes and then request it.

No - that is not true. The Freedom of Information Act or FOIA is actually for all "public" or non-sensitive information and can be requested by anyone. For example, I could request to see certain files that pertain to you that would not compromise your privacy and security. A good example may be landing records or naturalization records from the 1900s, such as ship manifest, etc. Or it may be a report USCIS has put together that isn't sensitive or confidential.

The Privacy Act does two things:
1) With certain exceptions, the Privacy Act of 1974 permits persons (U.S. citizens or permanent resident aliens) to gain access to information pertaining to themselves in Federal agency records, to have a copy made of all or any part thereof,to correct or amend such records, and to permit individuals to make requests concerning what records pertaining to themselves are collected, maintained, used or disseminated.
2) The Act also prohibits disclosure of any person's records without their written consent, except under certain circumstances as prescribed by the Privacy Act.

So to answer Jack's question, you would file under the Privacy Act as you are looking to get access to your own information - which is not sealed to you.

Hey, how much time did it take for you to get that CD?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=34139c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

LolaLi and Bobsmyth,
1. Do you specifically write in the Cover Letter saying you need a CD? Where do you indicate you need a CD (in the application form? I dont see one? or in the letter you write to them)?

2. Also, I assume you need to mail to:
4. Mail requests for USCIS records to the National Records Center, FOIA/PA Office, P. O. Box 648010, Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-8010.

What are these? Are they something else? Bit confusing what exactly the difference between nonexistence of a record and the above is? If you can explain, I appreciate it.

Mail requests for human resources information to: Customs and Border Protection, Burlington Human Resources Office, 70 Kimball Avenue, South Burlington, VT 05403-6813.

Certifications: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record involves an agency decision. Requests for this service should be addressed to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, ATTN: Records Services Branch, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., 4th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20529.

Last edited by a moderator: