Dummy question: is wifes receipt# same as husband\'s?

Meg

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,
My lawyer doesn\'t want to give us the receipt or case number(very frustrate, don\'t know what is going on for our case). I was wondering if husband and wife only have one receipt (same receipt #)? But different A#?
Thanks!
Meg

No Title

I have been reading about these punk lawyers who refuse to give information to their clients (not giving the EAC numbers to Meg, for instance).

What kind of lawyers are these? Are they not *agents* for the applicant? What is their locus standi in refusing information to their clients, especially if it is the CLIENT\'s data!!!??? Looking at it logically, this should be illegal. But that would be looking at it logically...

Bewildered and befuddled,

KP.

No Title

No it is not. Your wife will have a seperate Receipt number and Alien number. At least my wife does.

No Title

My lawyer too has refused to give my details, saying INS has directed them not to give out such information.

May be we work for the same company and have the same lawyer?

No Title

Thanks for the info.
One of reason lawyer doesn\'t want to give us I485 receipt is he can get more money (I guess). In order to visit our country, we applied for AP and EAD which he charged us for $150 per case (not include the application fee), so totally $600, for filling out some forms that idiot can do. From this board (very great), I learn that I can find out my receipt# once receive EAD, hope I can receive soon.
Meg

No Title

Your spouse will have a different Receipt # and A # than yours. They are two separate applications for I-485.
Also the receipt # on your EAD application is different from that on your I-485 application.
My wife and I applied for I-485, EAD and AP together and each of us got 4 receipt numbers. One for each - I-485, EAD, AP and A# for me and a different set of 4 receipt numbers for my wife.

The lawyer should give you the receipts (or at least copies of I-485, EAD, AP). If you travel abroad, you need to show the original I-485 receipt notice (if asked) to immigration authorities while re-entering the US along with your passport, H1 visa or AP.
Get the 485 receipts from your lawyer ASAP.