DUI Folks ..Log your concerns here

dui???

hey guys!!

I was pulled over by a police and my breath test is lower than the legal blood alcohol limit, and the police did not give me any ticket, and he asked me to contact my friend to bring me home.
Now I am planning for a marriage trip to China for 3 weeks, since I will need to go to the embassy to get a new visa stamp, I am quite concern about this issue although I was not being given a ticket or arrested.
I am concern there will be a ticket come in mail later, or any record for drunk driving so that my visa application will be denied when I was under the background check.
Could you please give me some suggestions?

Many Many Many thanks!!

I was arrested on a DUI charge the other day & released and am still awaiting an outcome on the same. I'm getting a lawyer involved to try and see how he/she can help me through the process.

Background - This is my first ever ticket/arrest/misdemeanor/etc. Never been stopped for any violations prior and have a clean driving history. Blew a .13 BAC and was arrested. Initially was pulled over for doing 80 in 45 driving zone. From everything everyone has told me so far, I should be looking at minimal charges if at all.

Now I'm worried about what implications this may have on my immigration?
- I was planning on getting my H1b visa stamped in Canada (after recent H1B transfer). Hear that I might be denied entry because of a DWI!
- Can I get my visa stamped in Mexico? Or does it have to be back in India?

Thanks and please do respond!!
- Restless -

Hi Shinoda,
Yes you will not be able to travel to Canada..So that option is out.
Second you cannot travel outside USA unless your case is completed. Yeah it sounds painful, but that is the truth. Get your case over, get all the documents required (Mentioned in the Thread in the past), and only then get out of the country.
All the Best!!

I was arrested on a DUI charge the other day & released and am still awaiting an outcome on the same. I'm getting a lawyer involved to try and see how he/she can help me through the process.

Background - This is my first ever ticket/arrest/misdemeanor/etc. Never been stopped for any violations prior and have a clean driving history. Blew a .13 BAC and was arrested. Initially was pulled over for doing 80 in 45 driving zone. From everything everyone has told me so far, I should be looking at minimal charges if at all.

Now I'm worried about what implications this may have on my immigration?
- I was planning on getting my H1b visa stamped in Canada (after recent H1B transfer). Hear that I might be denied entry because of a DWI!
- Can I get my visa stamped in Mexico? Or does it have to be back in India?

Thanks and please do respond!!
- Restless -

Thanks milindis for your reply! I've got a pretty good lawyer and he says he'll do his best to get the case dismissed, but Charlotte has a 0 tolerance policy on DUIs, so we'll see.

I'll keep all of you updated on how my trial goes.

As a Canadian I know for sure how tough CIC is with DUI/DWI. You can rule that option out. Good luck with your case!!!

My story

Hey folks,

Since this thread helped me a lot with my case I want to share my story.

I got arrested for DWI in NC Dec 2006 with BAC of .11. I had no accident, speeding or any other traffic violation. My lawyer plead guilty and I had to pay a 100 $ fine plus 115 $ court costs. My license is suspended for 12 months and I had to do a 24 h community service which I did back in Germany (yes, that is possible). Now I applied for a J1 Visa. On the 18th of March this year I had my interview at the US consulate in Frankfurt, Germany. Of course I ticked yes at the arrest and conviction question. But I have to tell that I was not fingerprinted since the machine was broken that night. So I was full of hope that they ignore it like another person here in the forum who was in the same situation (DUI, not fingerprinted). I went to the counter and I was asked a couple of questions. At the end he asked what happened with the police. I explained him he asked me for additional papers. Fortunately I had everything with me: court papers, police report, report of the clerk of court and papers of my lawyer. He told me that it will take between 4 and 6 weeks and that I have to go to the panel physician. He gave me the address. Right after the interview I went to the panel physician in Frankfurt where you don't need an appointment. Attention, you need an additional pass photo here. Everything was ok.
Today I received a call from the person who interviewed me at the consulate that my visa is issued and that I will receive within the next days. So it took them from the 18th of March till the 1st of April. I have to mention that there were two public holidays in between. So all in all just 7 work days passed. I guess I will receive the letter in 3 days.
So I guess there is still hope for everybody here. Just make sure you bring all your papers and make an appointment with the panel physician before. I wanted to do one in advance as well but they told me that it is not necessary. And try not to drink anything around 2 - 4 weeks before the blood test at the doctor depending on your drinking habits. Maybe you can let check your gamma value before at your doctor or local hospital to know how good your blood is.

Good luck everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Arrested/Fingerprinted Aug 5 2007 for DUI (0.07/0.07) in CA, Visa-F1/OPT
2. Started on H1 from October 2007
3. November End Case Settled
Plead for Wet Reckless​
Fines + 12 hrs classes + 2 years probation​

I am now planning to visit India(Delhi) some time this year and have my H1-B stamping.
#1. What paper work do i need ?
#2. Can it still(Wet Reckless Conviction)be done in Canada/Mexico ?
#3. If India, how long will it take with the new rules etc ?
#4. I wasn't comfortable telling my folks back about it, so how long does the Dr's examination/result take place ? And is it near the embassy ? Do i need to schedule separate days cause I haven't been back for a while, so would def need assistance from my folks to take me to places. AND if the examination can be done in the US i would much prefer to do that.

Thanks.

Dui : F1

Hey,

I had a DUI in Nov 2006. Case was resolved in NOV 2007. I was on F1 when i got it.

I am still on F1 now, working on full time CPT. My F1 expired Jan 2008 and I need to travel to China this May as part of my Job. Choice of going to india and getting visa done now is ruled out.

How are the chances of getting F1 renewal done in Matamoros Mexico ?

Urgent help and suggestions needed on this. My Visa date is on April 24th ..

Thanks in advance.

Naveen

I had a DWI 4 yrs ago. so 3.5 yrs after DWI, i applied for naturalization. i submited a complete file (with original documents from court as requested by N-400 guidelines), i've paid all my taxes, and am a good citizen... so i got my interview/citizenship done.

it took about 6 months from date of application submission to fingerprint to interview/oath. its all not true that you need a lawyer and good moral charecter and bla bla bla - just go apply. whats the worst that can happen? nothing.

I had a DWI 4 yrs ago. so 3.5 yrs after DWI, i applied for naturalization. i submited a complete file (with original documents from court as requested by N-400 guidelines), i've paid all my taxes, and am a good citizen... so i got my interview/citizenship done.

it took about 6 months from date of application submission to fingerprint to interview/oath. its all not true that you need a lawyer and good moral charecter and bla bla bla - just go apply. whats the worst that can happen? nothing.

were you fingerprinted at the time of your arrest?and from what state are you?just curious here since i thought there's a 5yr for good moral character....thanks

All,

It was really informative reading this.
I too have a problem,I was in US on business Visa in July 2007 and then in Sept 2007.
During my second visit ,i got DUI BAC 0.18 no accident,I was ticketed,fingerprinted.

My case was in waukegan court IL.I plead guilty gave fine of around $3000 and completed classes and all formalities then and there.
Later i returned to India in Dec Now my company is applying for my L1 ,I want to know what should i mentioned in DS 156 form about arrest.
What would be the impact in my L1 and secondly I havent disclosed DUI to my office.
Please advice.

It's not worth it - Plz dont drink and drive

Got DUI in Nov of 2007 in NJ along with 3 other tickets. Before that my drivers history was clean. Blew a 0.16.
I have pleaded guilty today.

total damagage = 8 months of tension + 7 months loss of Drivers License + $5000(attorney) + $4000(court costs) + $6000(insurance).

Now i have to hire a taxi to go to work which might cost me around $800/$1000 per month.

My advise,
If you are caught driver and driving and if the stop is legal, then there is no case to fight. Don't shed money on attorney as it will only get worse.

Just plead guilty or take the court appointed attorney.

"We immigrants always tend to forget that we are in a foreign country. Laws here are ruthless. Be careful unless you are a millionaire and you don't know how to spend your money and time?

I got my lesson, hope you guys will too...

were you fingerprinted at the time of your arrest?and from what state are you?just curious here since i thought there's a 5yr for good moral character....thanks

As far as I know, there was a decision of the US Supreme Court decision back in 2004 that stated that DUI is not a crime of moral turpitude under the law of most states of the US. Therefore, as long as you have paid all the fines and completed your classes/probation you can receive your citizenship.

Has anyone who successfully got a US visa after a DUI (with the line that says CLASS hit does not make you eligible under INA Act etc) ever traveled to another country (e.g. Canada, Europe etc) with that visa? Does that line on the visa trigger any questions from the immigration officers in these other countries?

Dui and finding new jobs

Guys,

I was arrested for Dui in Dec '2006, was charged with gross misdemenor , had to serve 7 days home arrest and 3 yrs probation. My question is does it any way effect your employement if you are looking for new jobs on IT side either permenant or contract positions. I know there will be criminal background checks with some companies but want to know how tough is it to find new job after dui.If any body out there had changed their jobs after dui can pass on any information on this would be helpfull.

Thanks
Kumar

DUI and travel abroad

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread and wanted to post a question.
I got my GC on 2/2008 and on 3/23/2008 I was pulled over and charged for a DUI. I blew 0.15. I pleaded CWOF in Massachussets which is the equivalent of no contest. This was my first arrest ever for anything and I was sent to do AA meetings and 16 weeks of Driver Alcohol Education classes, which I am almost done with. I was also put on probation for 1 year and my probation will be done in April 2009. My question is: I want to travel to South America at the end of 2009. By then my probation will be over and my case will be dismissed. Will I have any trouble at the point of entry? I know that a DUI in Mass is a misdemeanor and it stays on your record for ever. Has anyone had any trouble coming back with 1 DUI on their record. What happens at the airport when coming back? I appreciate any replies on this matter.
Thanks,

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread and wanted to post a question.
I got my GC on 2/2008 and on 3/23/2008 I was pulled over and charged for a DUI. I blew 0.15. I pleaded CWOF in Massachussets which is the equivalent of no contest. This was my first arrest ever for anything and I was sent to do AA meetings and 16 weeks of Driver Alcohol Education classes, which I am almost done with. I was also put on probation for 1 year and my probation will be done in April 2009. My question is: I want to travel to South America at the end of 2009. By then my probation will be over and my case will be dismissed. Will I have any trouble at the point of entry? I know that a DUI in Mass is a misdemeanor and it stays on your record for ever. Has anyone had any trouble coming back with 1 DUI on their record. What happens at the airport when coming back? I appreciate any replies on this matter.
Thanks,

I don't think you'll have any problems if your GC is still valid