DUI/DWI and Citizenship

gcuser1

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I got my GC in Feb 2005. I got a misdemeanor DUI right after the GC i.e in Mar 2005. I have paid fines, community service and completed 3 year Probation(in Sep 2008).
Question is, Can I apply for the Citizenship? How do they look the 5 year period for the good Moral Character? Is it from date of arrest or from the end date of Probation?

Thanks in advance.

GCUSER

It is better for you to wait until Sept 2013 and then apply for citizenship. That would give you a clear 5-year period of 'good behavior', and enhance the case for granting citizenship.

When I went in for my interview which was on January 11th the officer preferred to see 10 years since no arrest. I had been arrested but I don't have a criminal record. Unfortunately they couldn't approve me right away though.

Sorry to hear about that.

Usually it is 5 years from the date you have served out the term of probation (not from the date of the ticket or conviction). I am surprised that the officer mentioned 10 years - that seems a bit too much considering you do not have a criminal record.

However, wait at least until 2013, make sure you do not get into any more trouble, and apply again.

Good luck.

Immigration law, regarding foreign citizens, is related to nationality law, which governs the legal status of people, in matters such as citizenship. Immigration laws vary from country to country, as well as according to the political climate of the times, as sentiments may sway from the widely inclusive to the deeply exclusive of new immigrants.

Immigration law regarding the citizens of a country is regulated by international law. The United Nations International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights[1] mandates that all country|countries allow entry to its own citizens.