Dual US-Pakistani citizen, do I really need a NICOP, can't I use passport?

Recent experience with travelling without NICOP - Oct 2013

Hi,

I traveled from London to Pakistan with a Pakistani and British passport, and did not have to show a NICOP upon entry at Lahore back in October 2013. My brother recently went from the US and the Pakistani consulate in Chicago insisted that he get a visa and that it was a requirement, and he did so before traveling. I have to ask him if they checked the visa or the NICOP when he arrived in Lahore.

Last year in Mar 2013, me and my family all traveled on our dual passports without NICOPs.

But overall its clear from my experience and others that dual passport holders are traveling quite frequently without NICOP and there are no issues - but in a place like Pakistan that could very well be due to inconsistent checking or enforcement of policies.

I will be checking this again this week since there is upcoming travel and will post an update.

By all means you can use both your pasports on your trip.

(1) At check in at a US airport for your Pakistan bound flight, show your Pakistani passport. If the airline searches for an I-94 or wants to see your GC, show them your US passport.
(2) Enter Pakistan using your Pakistani passport
(3) At check in at a Pakistani airport for your US bound flight, show your US passport.
(4) At Pakistani exit control, show your Pakistani passport
(5) Enter the US using your US passport

I have US and Pakistani Valid Passport. Don't have pakistani visa or NICOP. I already booked the ticket but i m worried about
Pakistani visa. Can i travel to pakistani in this scenario ? If yes what passport i will use while going to Pakistan and what passport
i will use while coming back to US. Pease advice and share your exeperiences. I will be very thankful to you.

Thanks
Aamir

Hi there, any update about your post, were you able to travel without visa?

I am in the same boat as you, planning to travel in urgency, no Visa/NICOP, but have a valid Pakistani and US passport.

Should I get a Pakistani visa or can travel like this? Any help, guidance or recent experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have US and Pakistani Valid Passport. Don't have pakistani visa or NICOP. I already booked the ticket but i m worried about
Pakistani visa. Can i travel to pakistani in this scenario ? If yes what passport i will use while going to Pakistan and what passport
i will use while coming back to US. Pease advice and share your exeperiences. I will be very thankful to you.

Thanks
Aamir

Thanks
Aamir

Thanks
Aamir

I have gone through the all the posts in this thread. I've the same question, can I travel to Pakistan using my valid Pakistani passport and come back on my US passport or do I need a visa on my US passport? I called embassy and they say, you need a visa. Any recent experiences?
Thanks.

Guys I had a same confusion, as I am travelling next week. So I emailed our embassy here.

I just received a response from Consulate General of Pakistan Houston. Saying "If your Pakistani passport is valid you can certainly travel to Pakistan".

You should be able to use Pakistan passport to enter Pakistan and US to enter US. Even though the Pakistan embassy might tell otherwise.
You shouldn't face any issues with this approach regardless of having a NICOP or not. I am planning on using Pak and US passport for traveling.
Pak cant deny entry since you are Pak citizen and US cant deny entry because you are US citizen. Several people have dual citizens and dont have any problems using dual passports.
Umerkhan-
Did your trip go successfully?

I doubt you can enter with CNIC because its not an acceptable document for entrance into Pakistan. Inside Pakistan, it works well.
I would either call the embassy and find out, and at the same time apply for NICOP. Legally when you are residing outside Pakistan you are supposed to have NICOP and not a CNIC.

Yes you can do that.

I am a dual US/Pakistani national, and I have with me in hand both valid passports but no NICOP mind you.

I am planning to enter US from Dubai (Where I am currently residing) on my US passport and then I am planning to enter Pakistan on my way back from the US.

I have read on the internet and have understood that most dual citizens would follow the way you have suggested, but in regards to US airports, bearing in mind they don't have exit immigration, would it be acceptable if I check in with my US passport for Pakistan bound flight and show them my Pakistani passport if they ask for visa, and on arrival to Pakistan, I use my Pakistani passport.

If the above route seems acceptable to you, then should I book my ticket for Pakistan bound flight from the US on my Amercan passport rather than Pakistani Passport.

I have read on the internet and have understood that most dual citizens would follow the way you have suggested, but in regards to US airports, bearing in mind they don't have exit immigration, would it be acceptable if I check in with my US passport for Pakistan bound flight and show them my Pakistani passport if they ask for visa, and on arrival to Pakistan, I use my Pakistani passport.

If the above route seems acceptable to you, then should I book my ticket for Pakistan bound flight from the US on my Amercan passport rather than Pakistani Passport.

Yes
Book flight using the US passport, carry both passports while traveling.

Hello everyone, thank you for wisdom and insight. I am happen to be in same situation, 2 passports (US & Pak) and no NICOP card. Just want to confirm if it still okay to enter Pak with the Pak valid passport without having a need to have NICOP card.

My second question is related to my previous experience at ISB Pak airport. . Last time I visited Pak, it was in 2012 and I remember having two lines at ISB airport, one for 'blue' passport and other for 'green'. At that time, I only had green passport, so I chose green line. Is it the still situation? If yes, what line you had chosen if you have both passports and have recently visited Pak? My guess is 'green' but want to double check. Thank you for wisdom and sharing your honest experiences.

Hello everyone, thank you for wisdom and insight. I am happen to be in same situation, 2 passports (US & Pak) and no NICOP card. Just want to confirm if it still okay to enter Pak with the Pak valid passport without having a need to have NICOP card.

My second question is related to my previous experience at ISB Pak airport. . Last time I visited Pak, it was in 2012 and I remember having two lines at ISB airport, one for 'blue' passport and other for 'green'. At that time, I only had green passport, so I chose green line. Is it the still situation? If yes, what line you had chosen if you have both passports and have recently visited Pak? My guess is 'green' but want to double check. Thank you for wisdom and sharing your honest experiences.
I am in same situation, have to travel as soon as i get passport, can we apply NICOPE while we are in pakistan and come back with that nicope,? Because i heard we can apply nicope while we are in pakistan

I am in same situation, have to travel as soon as i get passport, can we apply NICOPE while we are in pakistan and come back with that nicope,? Because i heard we can apply nicope while we are in pakistan
Just got response from pakistani consulate from chicago, yes we can travel on pakistani passport without NICOP and visa on that