Dual US-Pakistani citizen, do I really need a NICOP, can't I use passport?

nomii

Registered Users (C)
I have both US and Pakistani passport (currently don't have NICOP), and currently in US.

I want to visit Pakistan - and called LA & Chicago embassies - both suggested getting a NICOP. The Chicago embassy even suggested to get a Pakistani visa.

Is this really needed? Like dozens of time before, can't I simply use my Pakistani passport? The Pakistani passport control don't even need to know that I am a US citizen on entry. Will they cause issues when I try to exit?

Are the embassies just saying this to get the NICOP/visa fee from me?

I looked up online and clearly the consulates require you to get it. There are 2 issues if you do not get and try to use your original passport.

1) you will be breaking the law even you can get away
2) you won't be able to fly to the US without a US travel document directly

You have to abide the laws of all the countries you are citizen of IMO so getting it seems to be the only way.

Thanks. Can you please link me to where it says I must get it? Or where it says that it is against the law to use your Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan.

I do have a valid US travel document - my valid US passport. So that shouldn't be an issue?

This is the source. You can judge better than I the authenticity of the consulate page.

http://www.embassyofpakistanusa.org/nicopmain.php

A (NICOP)National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis is meant for all Pakistani citizens and Dual Nationality holders in the United States. It is now a mandatory requirement for all Pakistanis working/residing abroad and Pakistanis holding dual nationality. NICOP offers unique privileges and facilities to its holder. This card is obligatory for all members of the family, including children under the age of 18 years.

I do have a valid US travel document - my valid US passport. So that shouldn't be an issue?

The point is that they will see in the exit control that you are a dual citizen. Therefore they can question whether you have the card or not.

I see, thanks!

It looks like then when I used to travel to Pk using my Pk passport (when I used to have a green card), even that was against the rules! Because I was indeed living/working abroad. Clearly they weren't enforcing this at exit control, since I wasn't even aware of this requirement and no one ever brought it up in my bi-annual visits to Pk over past 10 years.

Anyone who reads this thread, can you please post your experiences.

You are welcome. The language implies that this is only for dual citizens though. So GC holders could be exempt.

By all means you can use both your pasports on your trip.

(1) At check in at a US airport for your Pakistan bound flight, show your Pakistani passport. If the airline searches for an I-94 or wants to see your GC, show them your US passport.
(2) Enter Pakistan using your Pakistani passport
(3) At check in at a Pakistani airport for your US bound flight, show your US passport.
(4) At Pakistani exit control, show your Pakistani passport
(5) Enter the US using your US passport

I want to visit Pakistan - and called LA & Chicago embassies - both suggested getting a NICOP. The Chicago embassy even suggested to get a Pakistani visa.

Is this really needed? Like dozens of time before, can't I simply use my Pakistani passport?

Care to explain what law the OP will be breaking? Both the US and Pakistan allow their citizens to hold other passports and use them. The OP will not be breaking any laws if he uses both his passports during his trip to Pakistan and returning back to the US!!!

1) you will be breaking the law even you can get away

No such requirement. You can visit Pakistan using your Pakistani passport even if you do not have a NICOP.

Clearly they weren't enforcing this at exit control, since I wasn't even aware of this requirement and no one ever brought it up in my bi-annual visits to Pk over past 10 years.

No such requirement. You can visit Pakistan using your Pakistani passport even if you do not have a NICOP.

Thanks Triple-Citizen! I assume you have first-hand (or reliable account) of someone doing this recently correct :). As we very well know, for Pakistan, on-the-ground recent accounts are more reliable than whatever the embassies say.

Me = US, Canadian and Pakistani citizen
Dad = US, Canadian and Pakistani citizen
Mom = US, Canadian and Pakistani citizen
Bro = British, Canadian and Pakistani citizen

We have all used Pakistani passports to enter Pakistan while holding non-Pakistani passports and never had an issue since no laws were being broken.

In fact once I flew, ORD --> YYZ --> DXB --> KHI and within 24 hours used 3 different passports passing 4 different countries and stayed on the good side of law throughout :)

I assume you have first-hand (or reliable account) of someone doing this recently correct :)

Care to explain what law the OP will be breaking? Both the US and Pakistan allow their citizens to hold other passports and use them. The OP will not be breaking any laws if he uses both his passports during his trip to Pakistan and returning back to the US!!!

Since you are Pakistani you know better than I read on the webpage but it seems like you are circumventing the law with the 5 steps you posted. The consulate clearly states:
"It is now a mandatory requirement for all Pakistanis working/residing abroad and Pakistanis holding dual nationality."

Since it says now maybe it's pretty recent.

Yes, dual citizens need a NICOP in order to get a fresh Pakistani passport. However this is not the issue here nor is that the question posted by the OP. He wanted to know if he, as a dual citizen, can use his Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan. The answer is yes, he can. That has absolutely no connection to holding a NICOP or not. Now when the OP's current Pakistani passport expires, he will first need to get a NICOP before he can renew his Pakistani passport. I hope that clears it up.

"It is now a mandatory requirement for all Pakistanis working/residing abroad and Pakistanis holding dual nationality."

Yes, dual citizens need a NICOP in order to get a fresh Pakistani passport. However this is not the issue here nor is that the question posted by the OP. He wanted to know if he, as a dual citizen, can use his Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan. The answer is yes, he can. That has absolutely no connection to holding a NICOP or not. Now when the OP's current Pakistani passport expires, he will first need to get a NICOP before he can renew his Pakistani passport. I hope that clears it up.

It does, thanks. I didn't know this was only a requirement for the passport.

I have both US and Pakistani passport (currently don't have NICOP), and currently in US.

Is this really needed? Like dozens of time before, can't I simply use my Pakistani passport? The Pakistani passport control don't even need to know that I am a US citizen on entry. Will they cause issues when I try to exit?

Are the embassies just saying this to get the NICOP/visa fee from me?

Hi there, any update about your post, were you able to travel without visa?

I am in the same boat as you, planning to travel in urgency, no Visa/NICOP, but have a valid Pakistani and US passport.

Should I get a Pakistani visa or can travel like this? Any help, guidance or recent experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understand, then should I be following your instructions below?:

(1) At check in at a US airport for your Pakistan bound flight, show your Pakistani passport. If the airline searches for an I-94 or wants to see your GC, show them your US passport.
(2) Enter Pakistan using your Pakistani passport
(3) At check in at a Pakistani airport for your US bound flight, show your US passport.
(4) At Pakistani exit control, show your Pakistani passport
(5) Enter the US using your US passport

My ONLY question here is, people in Pakistan or US, will they ask me for Visa on my US passport or no?

Thanks for your response and reply.

Please forgive my ignorance, how should I answer them?

Any help or tip or recent experience would be greatly appreciated.

If an airline agent in the US asks why you do not have a Pakistani visa in your US passport, tell him/her that you will enter Pakistan using your Pakistani passport.

If anyone in Pakistan asks you why there is no Pakistani visa in your US passport, tell him/her that you entered Pakistan on your Pakistani passport.

Please forgive my ignorance, how should I answer them?