Dual/triple citizenship question

benzstar

Registered Users (C)
Any idea if a person holding 2 nationalities already (Israeli and German) and a Green card, might have any problem getting the US citizenship?

thanks

I don't think that should be a issue.

On a side note, I thought that Germany doesn't allow dual-nationality.

dual/triple

Germany allows dual cit., st least with Israel. i believe also with the US. My concern is mostly on the US side

benzstar said:
Any idea if a person holding 2 nationalities already (Israeli and German) and a Green card, might have any problem getting the US citizenship?

thanks

Notwithstanding any other issues with your citizenship application/eligibility, this should potentially have no bearing on getting your US citizenship.

YMMV

benzstar said:

thanks
My Mother has French and israeli citizenship, when she got her US citizenship, the officer told her to discard the other citizenships, she told him, that she can not give up the israeli one, he told her "I am telling you to discard them", and that was the end of it.

they can't really enforce anything, as long as u exit the US and enter it with US passport, they are fine.

In the oath you renounce you previous citizenship but it other countries do not always recognize it and it doesn't seem to be enforced by the US government.

I lost my Bangladeshi citizenship when I was naturalized. However, all I have to do is fill out a small form and citizenship will be re-instated by the Bangladeshi government without me having to take an oath or swear allegiance.

I remember reading somewhere that the US does NOT recognize any dual citizenship. But at the same time does not require you to renounce any of your existing citizenships.
Therefore the burden of either approving or not approving dual citizenship falls on the other country in question.
For example, US could not care less if you carried an Indian passport or not, but India would care to know if you did get American citizenship because you are then assumed to have renounced Indian citizenship. Therefore it is India who is coming up with a dual citizenship option.

Of course I could be totally off-base here! :rolleyes:

The U.S. government only recognizes your U.S. citizenship as long as you are on U.S. soil. Outside the U.S., they don't care how many foreign passports you have. There is one exception: those who seek job related security clearance from the U.S. government, they may ask the applicant to officially renounce his other citizenship(s) to avoid foreign preference.

On a related note:

I understand a US citizen has to always enter the US on US passport. However, if they're a "dual" citizen and possess a passport of another country and they're travelling from the US to that country, the airline will ask you for a visa if you show them your US passport on exit. Is it ok to show them the foreign passport at the point of exit ? Will this cause an issue ?

Thanks !

ca_applicant said:
On a related note:

I understand a US citizen has to always enter the US on US passport. However, if they're a "dual" citizen and possess a passport of another country and they're travelling from the US to that country, the airline will ask you for a visa if you show them your US passport on exit. Is it ok to show them the foreign passport at the point of exit ? Will this cause an issue ?

Thanks !
Airline companies don't work for the U.S. government. You need to show your foreign passport/travel document to airline staff when you check in. But never show your foreign passport to U.S. government official.

Last edited by a moderator:
NJGoose said:
Airline companies don't work for the U.S. government. You need to show your foreign passport/travel document to airline staff when you check in. But never show your foreign passport to U.S. government official.

Thanks for the response. The intent of my question really was to see if the airline companies provide the visa/citizenship info they've collected back to the immigration department. Based on your response I take the answer to be No.

ca_applicant said:
Thanks for the response. The intent of my question really was to see if the airline companies provide the visa/citizenship info they've collected back to the immigration department. Based on your response I take the answer to be No.
Airline companies want to ensure that a passenger is admissible at destination, otherwise they have to fly the passenger back and may face penalty. The information is not shared with CIS and CIS is not interested in knowing how many foreign passports you have.

I was wondering: If you change your name at naturalization, and your American passport shows your new name...what happens with the old passport with the old name?
Are you allowed to have two names, one in the US Passport and another one in your old country passport?

ca_applicant said:
Airline or Airport official collect your information which is requested by US government.
I had to fill out the form upon departure, and that form stated it is the requirement from the US regulation. Some airport i did not need it, but I guess it is electronically collected.

Hi Benzstar!

I do not think the U.S. side really cares. Even though Germany amended its citizenship law (Staatsangehoerigkeitsrecht) a few years ago, one still looses its German citizenship. The exception: if the applicant has applied and was granted the preservation of German citizenship (Beibehaltungsgenehmigung). This needs to be done BEFORE submitting N-400.

I did not do that and I will gladly renounce my German citizenship come June 20, 2006.

Cheers!
Legal

GotPR? said:
Airline or Airport official collect your information which is requested by US government.
I had to fill out the form upon departure, and that form stated it is the requirement from the US regulation. Some airport i did not need it, but I guess it is electronically collected.
CIS authorizes airline companies to check visa validity to ensure that the traveller has proper visa or travel document to be admitted at destination. They are not interested to know if you have foreign passports.

:)

still here and following the thread. Just wanted to thank you all for your great comments. I'm getting educated!
Any more comments will be very much appreciated.

NJGoose said:
CIS authorizes airline companies to check visa validity to ensure that the traveller has proper visa or travel document to be admitted at destination. They are not interested to know if you have foreign passports.
It was like that BEFORE 9/11, but nowaday, all the incomming flight to the US has to submit manifest to the US authority. Without detailed information such as passport info, such manifest is useless.

GotPR? said:
It was like that BEFORE 9/11, but nowaday, all the incomming flight to the US has to submit manifest to the US authority. Without detailed information such as passport info, such manifest is useless.
This is off topic. Every U.S. citizen departing from or arriving at an U.S. port of entry needs to have his U.S. passport checked. U.S. Customs wants to see only your U.S. passport. Don't show your foreign passport(s) to U.S. official at port of entry.