Dual Citizenship Travel

aibniadm

Registered Users (C)
I got my US Citizenship last week and applied for the passport at the same time. I am traveling to my country of origin in December. My country allows dual citizenship and although it may not be wise to travel with two passports, I do not have time to get a visa. Is it possible to use both the passports to travel? Would there be a problem if I do not have any foreign entry/exit stamps on my US passport when I come back?

Yes you may use both passports to travel. The only thing to remember is that when you enter USA, you have to use your US Passport...elsewhere it does not matter what you use. There is no exit stamp you get when you leave USA. The entry stamp you may or may not get. The exit/entry stamps for foreign countries do not have to match - who cares?

You just have to enter and leave US with the US passport. You can enter and leave your native country by the previous passport.

The comments above seem in line with my understanding of the issues. In addition, I'd like to add the following:

- traveling to a country for which you hold citizenship is best done using that country's passport, since thats really how they expect their citizens to enter the country. Also, there wouldn't really be any benefit of traveling on a US passport because you will still be treated as a citizen of the host country in any situation where you might desire some sort of benefit or protection as a citizen of the United States. (e.g. you couldn't claim exemption from national service requirements simply because you also hold a US passport.)

- travel to a 3rd-party country (as a non citizen) should normally be undertaken on your US passport as doing so provides you with whatever rights, privileges and protection the US State Department normally extends to its citizens. If you don't use your US passport, you may find yourself out of luck in the event your need emergency repatriation to the US.

- finally, regular use of your US passport when traveling, lets the US govt know you consider yourself a US citizen before any other citizenships which you may hold. This may not count for much, but you never know when you might need the US govt on your side...

Hi,
I have been travelling with two passports (Canadian and Pakistani) for a number of years now. I always carry both on me. I have yet to encounter any issues with my dual citizenship. I applied for my US passport (3rd citizenship) today. Once I acquire that, I intend to travel with all three on me. As long as I abide by the entry/exit requirements of all three countries, I am confident I will not have any issues.
Regards,
S K Ghori
skg@vex.net
http://www.vex.net/~skg/

**NOTE**
I underwent the immigration process in both Canada and the US. I hold Pakistani, Canadian and US citizenship.

**DISCLAIMER**
I am neither a lawyer nor an immigration consultant. My comments should NEVER be considered as legal or professional advice as they are not meant to be such.

aibniadm said:
I got my US Citizenship last week and applied for the passport at the same time. I am traveling to my country of origin in December. My country allows dual citizenship and although it may not be wise to travel with two passports, I do not have time to get a visa. Is it possible to use both the passports to travel? Would there be a problem if I do not have any foreign entry/exit stamps on my US passport when I come back?

Thanks everyone, that really helped me out a lot. Just two more specific questions. When I leave my native country, should I insist that they put the exit stamp on the US passport? I am sure that they would not allow that and insist on stamping their issues passport even for the exit. I am just worried that the DHS officer at the US entry point would ask why I traveled on a foreign passport when I had the US passport. Also should I show my native country passport to the airline agent while leaving US or both?
I may sound paranoid but I just do not want to take any chance right after finally getting the citizenship after a very long wait.

Hi,
DHS does not care what passport you use outside the US. All they want is for you to leave and enter the US on a US passport. Simple as that. Whenever you encounter a US official, identify yourself as a US citizen only.

aibniadm said:
Thanks everyone, that really helped me out a lot. Just two more specific questions. When I leave my native country, should I insist that they put the exit stamp on the US passport? I am sure that they would not allow that and insist on stamping their issues passport even for the exit. I am just worried that the DHS officer at the US entry point would ask why I traveled on a foreign passport when I had the US passport. Also should I show my native country passport to the airline agent while leaving US or both?
I may sound paranoid but I just do not want to take any chance right after finally getting the citizenship after a very long wait.

I wouldn't show more than one passport to an immigration officer unless I was challenged by him/her to do so. That's way to much information for that person to think about. Keep it simple.

Here's what the state department has to say about dual nationality and, specifically, using a foreign passport for travel (in bold, penultimate paragraph)

Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

aibniadm said:

I traveled outside several times using my U.S. Passport, not once have the officers looked at the visa pages of my passport. In fact, they never put an entry stamp on my passport. They put the "admitted" stamp on the "declaration" form. Other people may have had different encounters, but that's been my experience so far.