DS 156 Pt 15 Home address???

chintamani1

Registered Users (C)
:confused: In Form Ds-156:-
Q.15:- Home Address:-
Do we write our US address or permanent Indian Address???

In Form Ds-157:-
Q.8:- Full name and address of contact person or organisation in the US:-
do i need to write employers name
Q.9:- List all countries u have entered in the last 10 years:-
I have visited India twice for 2 weeks, Do i need to mention that ? Also would i need to include US as i am here from 2001
Q.18:- Have u made specific travel arrangements:-
What do i mention in this?

Gurus Please Help !!!!

A1. US home address
2. yes, employer's name can be filled in. Not applicable is also valid.
3. List except India/US (assuming youhave an Indian passport)
4. Not applicable

I was told by many friends who've applied for H-1Bs as well as my company's immigration lawyer (one of the best in the nation) that DS156 pt15 HAS to be your permnanent address in your home country.

Reason being with H-1B (for example) you have to show that you have significant ties to your home country because you are a TEMPORARY worker. If your home address is US as well, they can deny the VISA.

That's why there's a separate area further down for your address in USA.

IF you read other posts in trackers you will find out that Q.15 needs to be US home address and revalidation office in US will return ur app if its not US address..And for FYI, H1 is a dual intent , so u dont need to provide ties to ur home country. How come ur lawyer does not know abt this.

Hi,
Good to know the clarification regarding DS-156 and DS-157.
In addition it will be highly appreciated If anyone in this forum can help me on the following items of DS-156 and DS-157. The reason I am asking these questions to find out the correct answers to avoid any rejection due to incorrect information. I did post these questions earlier but except one I did not get answers for others. So someone who already submited/stamped please reply.

Q-22. When do you intend to Arrive in US?
As I am already in US shall I leave blank????
And after get the form printed shall I mention that 'Already in US'. Please
advise.

Q-29. Have you ever been in the US.?
Please suggest in details. Date part is most confusing.
Date : Should I mention the date on which I entered first time in US?
For How long : Should I say ... 'Till Date.'

Q-30. Have you ever been issued a US Visa?
Should be YES and then what should be in the DATE field? As this is
my 7th year extension I have already extended 2 times and stamped
for my 1st extension. I did not stamped my last one. So should it
be the 'issue date' of the last visa stamping on my passport???

Thanks in advance.
oajnabi

22 - you approach is fine.
29, 30 - might help to have an attachment listing all the visits and all the visas issued. and refer this attachment.

oajnabi said:
Thanks for your reply alren. So did you do the same thing for Q22?
When I did revalidation, there was no on-line filling and printing. So I did write as I mentioned.

Q15 very confused

Here is the summary,
An Australian citizen who has stayed in the US for last 4 years visits India and apply for H4 visa.

What should be filled in Q15 -- Home address.

is it the US address (in fact property deed has H4 visa seeker name)?
is it the local address where the application is filed?
or is it an address in applicant's country, in this case Australia?

As of now there is no residential address in Australia for us. Parents live in Bangalore.

Please suggest what would be the right information to provide in those columns.

thanks

smxhan said:
IF you read other posts in trackers you will find out that Q.15 needs to be US home address and revalidation office in US will return ur app if its not US address..And for FYI, H1 is a dual intent , so u dont need to provide ties to ur home country. How come ur lawyer does not know abt this.

You do what you want to do, my roomate has been in the US for 15 years and for home address on DS-156 he always has put his home address in his homecountry (Burma). He just went to a US Consulate to get his H1B visa revalidated and had NO issues.

To each his own. For my last H-1B revalidation, I also put my homecountry address in home address and where it specifically asks for the US address, the US address.

I am talking abt mentioning US address only in cases where one is sending for Revalidation here within US and not at a consulate abroad.

I am sure abt when u send it here u have to mention US address otherwise they reject ur application .And this I am saying based on looking at others experiences on the St Louis revalidation tracker of previous months.

tnadkarni said:
You do what you want to do, my roomate has been in the US for 15 years and for home address on DS-156 he always has put his home address in his homecountry (Burma). He just went to a US Consulate to get his H1B visa revalidated and had NO issues.

To each his own. For my last H-1B revalidation, I also put my homecountry address in home address and where it specifically asks for the US address, the US address.
I don't think it matters, unless you are providing obvisouly fradulent information.

alren said:
I don't think it matters, unless you are providing obvisouly fradulent information.

I agree. It just makes more sense to me to put your homecountry address because as an H-1B worker (dual intent or not) your true permanent address is the one in your homecountry. Also this address in my homecountry is clearly listed on all my passports, and previous applications.

I spoke to my lawyer again about this and although H-1B is dual intent, your permanent address as a temporary visa holder is the one in your home country. Hence why you have to notify USCIS of address changes in the US because this is your "US address".

On top of all this there is a specific area on DS-156 for the US address...

tnadakarni.....

I agree that it should be the address in home country. What will be for my situation? I can't use my Indian address since I have an Australian passport. In Australia I don't have any property or residential address or relatives. Using a friend's address will be fraud. Any idea???

rajudm said:
I agree that it should be the address in home country. What will be for my situation? I can't use my Indian address since I have an Australian passport. In Australia I don't have any property or residential address or relatives. Using a friend's address will be fraud. Any idea???

I would use your Indian address anyway...I don't know if it has to be an address in the country that issued you the passport but just an address outside of the US. I'm not a lawyer so I would consult one but that's what I would do.

Thanks for the reply. It is really helpful. I bought Money order to pay the revalidation fees. There is a address field to fill up. Do we need to fillup that? if 'Yes', what address we should use.
Thanks in advance for the reply.