Drugs and naturalization

I thought marihuana is legal in CA. I'm not sure if you need to be over 18 years or older need to have a medical condition . Wasn't paying attention to the news , but heard something about pot bring legal in CA . I didn't like pot anyway , made me paranoyed .

I thought marihuana is legal in CA. I'm not sure if you need to be over 18 years or older need to have a medical condition . Wasn't paying attention to the news , but heard something about pot bring legal in CA .

CA state law has some provisions for legal use or MJ, but it's still illegal across America under Federal law.

ugh I still havent gotten in contact with a consultant because she is so busy...

for now, ill bump this thread for more information

ugh I still havent gotten in contact with a consultant because she is so busy...

for now, ill bump this thread for more information

What additional information are you looking for? Like many other young people, you experimented with weed in your teens. You were never caught by the authorities; therefore, no record of you smoking weed exists. Based on your original post, you are a law-abiding, model citizen. Why in the world would you even bring this up, at the interview or otherwise???

If you're a proponent for the truth, make sure you mention every time your parents punished you as a child. :rolleyes:

Numerous members have already answered your question. It just seems that the answers are not what you want to hear.

smallsteps dude, DO NOT mention this on your N400 app. Why are you unnecessarily potentially shooting yourself in the foot to disclose this? It's one thing if you had been arrested/cited for an offense and there was a record of it. You say you never have been and so if I was in your shoes, I would keep my mouth shut and not mention it in the N400 app. End of story.

Dear all,

thanks for replying.
I get what your saying when you say dont tell them.. i really do understand that
but the thing is, I want to join the military after I earn my citizenship and for that, I will admit my use.

Its because lots of people have been saying that sooner or later, they will find out and I really do not want that to happen.

after I talk to some consultants, Ill report back. any tips? i never hired a lawyer before

Why do you need a lawyer? If you're determined to answer YES on the N-400, then just answer YES and attach a sheet with a short explanation. I'm sure the IO will not give it a second thought during the interview since you were never arrested.

Why do you need a lawyer? If you're determined to answer YES on the N-400, then just answer YES and attach a sheet with a short explanation. I'm sure the IO will not give it a second thought during the interview since you were never arrested.

im thinking of getting one because the people above said to get one, so im just following their advice.
+ I might as well get their opinion on things..

ive been searching around for cases like mine and all of them are worse(such as selling) and theve all been deported. Im not sure what that means for me though

Dude, IMHO, you are really asking for trouble to answer that question with yes. Rule of thumb when dealing with the USCIS is DO NOT volunteer info unnecessarily. You do not have a record for anything and so this is not needed. Repeat after me: DO NOT answer yes. Separate the military application idea from the citizenship one, they are two different processes.

Dude, IMHO, you are really asking for trouble to answer that question with yes. Rule of thumb when dealing with the USCIS is DO NOT volunteer info unnecessarily. You do not have a record for anything and so this is not needed. Repeat after me: DO NOT answer yes. Separate the military application idea from the citizenship one, they are two different processes.

but what im afraid of is... what if the military looks at my citizenship record (after i tell them of my use) and it says that I checked the "NO" box?

Separate the military application idea from the citizenship one, they are two different processes.

Not entirely separate. If he ends up in a position that requires security clearance, it is likely that the military would dig up his naturalization application to see if there are any discrepancies between that and what he told the military (among the other numerous things they'll look at during the security clearance process). Answering YES on one application and NO on the other could lead to big problems.

but what im afraid of is... what if the military looks at my citizenship record (after i tell them of my use) and it says that I checked the "NO" box?

And why would you disclose it to the military??? This isn't the FBI/CIA, and you won't be given a lie detector test. The weed is long out of your system and will not show up on a drug test. Please....listen to your common sense.

Dear all,

thanks for replying.
I get what your saying when you say dont tell them.. i really do understand that
but the thing is, I want to join the military after I earn my citizenship and for that, I will admit my use.

Its because lots of people have been saying that sooner or later, they will find out and I really do not want that to happen.

after I talk to some consultants, Ill report back. any tips? i never hired a lawyer before

At MEPS they are going to ask you at least 3 times to be honest with them if you ever smoked weed before .. If your answer is YES you will be DQ . My recruter told me not to say a thing about it . Unless your per test will be positive to drugs use , I strongly suggest not to bring it up , forget about it and stay away from drugs from now on . Don't smoke it before MEPS , do not smoke pot at all . With that ,, honesty ,, obsession you are not going to be able military .