Driving to Canada - border crossing questions

MasterArcht

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I'd greatly appreciate it if those of you who have experience with driving from USA to Canada could answer. My wife (USC) and I (Greencard holder) plan to drive to Ontario from New York. What kind of questions are people asked on the border crossing? Would we need to fill out any forms, declaring how long we plan to stay in Canada? Is there a time limit to staying in Canada for US citizens and greencard holders?

I am also wondering which border crossing point is best (convenient and not much hassle) to cross into Ontario or Quebec?

Hi, I'd greatly appreciate it if those of you who have experience with driving from USA to Canada could answer. My wife (USC) and I (Greencard holder) plan to drive to Ontario from New York. What kind of questions are people asked on the border crossing? Would we need to fill out any forms, declaring how long we plan to stay in Canada? Is there a time limit to staying in Canada for US citizens and greencard holders?

I am also wondering which border crossing point is best (convenient and not much hassle) to cross into Ontario or Quebec?

No forms to fill - just normal questions like how long do you plan to stay and the purpose of visit, etc... Nothing unusual. The limit of stay for both of you is 6 months unless stamped otherwise on your passport.

Thank you for the info. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which border crossing point into Ontario from New York state is the most convenient, fastest and hassle-free?

do a google search...niagara falls is crazy busy during the day...better late night i guess...

How about the Thousand Island Bridge - Lansdowne, ON / Alexandria Bay, NY crossing? Is that a good one as well?

That should be less busy as well. Best point of crossing depends on your point of origin in NY and your eventual destination in ON.

Do we also need to declare anything in terms of finances? Is it advisable and allowed to carry significant cash and checks if we are going to stay for a couple of weeks in Canada?

Finance, again

Hi guys, how much cash or financial funds is it advisable to bring into Canada? Do they ask questions about this at all?

Passport Stamp

One more question: do they stamp your passport on the Canadian border? If they do not, can I ask them to stamp it for purposes of validation of entry?