Driver's license after GC valid for just one year

S_Reddy

Registered Users (C)
We went to one of DMV centers yesterday to renew my Wife's drivers license. They issued for only 1 year. Customer service represent told that even for GC Holders they issue for only 1 year,maybe they might change the rule in future.

This is so weird she had her license last time for 4 years without problem and now they issued for 1 year.

This is in Atlanta Georgia.

Anyone in similar situation.

I have 5 licences in my wallet - once you are on EAD, they issue it only for a year until you get your GC. (I am in New Jersey BTW)

I have been getting yearly licence for last 5 years

I'm in Fl and I am renewing my licences every year for last 5 year.

That's so weird. You guys are now permanent residents and they said this? My drivers license renewal is this come August, and I expect to get a 4-year (this is PA here). Post this in the After GC forum, there may be someone who hears about this.

We went to one of DMV centers yesterday to renew my Wife's drivers license. They issued for only 1 year. Customer service represent told that even for GC Holders they issue for only 1 year,maybe they might change the rule in future.

This is so weird she had her license last time for 4 years without problem and now they issued for 1 year.

This does not seem to be right at all. They should issue atleast five years. Does she have any vision issues which may have suggested them to renew every year so they can check the vision. You cna probably validate this info in another city or county office. That rule just seems to be very weird and not right. You can ask for the documentation of rule (Freedom of Information Act) either a printed copy or a website url where you can find this.

Also, if your wife did not apply for SSN, may be they will issue for one year. In PA, non-US citizens manual I saw this note Expiration date of Driverse License for GC holders.
"If a letter from SSA indicated that SSA did not make a decision yet, issue a one year PA Driverse Licence or PA Learner Permit".

Check GA website for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that's kind of weird, but we did ask couple of times that are you sure the rule is for GC Holders and she said yes. She also said the rule doesnt make sense to her and might change in future.

Also this rule was started a month ago.

My wife already has SSN and she applied long time back when she was on EAD. She updated SSN info when she renewed last time.

This is so weird that after Getting GC also there is so relax.

Even if we get citizenship they might say only born Citizens will get 5 years renewal.

They can say what they want. Any judge would laugh that out of court.
But who is going to go to court because they get a 1-year license instead of 4 years or more?

Even the GC=1 year would probably get thrown out in court, as it is most likely an uninformed decision by an inexperienced clerk. But who is going to challenge it in court?

I know that's kind of weird, but we did ask couple of times that are you sure the rule is for GC Holders and she said yes. She also said the rule doesnt make sense to her and might change in future.

Also this rule was started a month ago.

My wife already has SSN and she applied long time back when she was on EAD. She updated SSN info when she renewed last time.

This is so weird that after Getting GC also there is so relax.

Even if we get citizenship they might say only born Citizens will get 5 years renewal.

Why are you surprised ? In Michigan they said that legal temporary residents
can not even apply for driver license http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127--183894--,00.html.

Just imagine you are foreign worker/student and have to use bus only to get to work and public transportation is not developed in US.

I can assume that soon they may say kind of like only born Citizens will get 5 years renewal.

BTW: why are you not surprised that only born Citizen can become US president ?

All i am saying is why do Green card holders have restriction on Drivers license for 1 Year as the purpose of GC is to stay permanantly in US.

I am not sure if DMV offices have right instructions to do this or they are completly unaware of rules and regulations.

I just renew my license last week and I got it for 4 year valid till feb 2012. I am on H1. In Michigan the new changes applies to new applicant only for renewal new policy will be coming soon.

I still think, u should write to DMV Director or somebody in your state and get hard copy of the rule. If I get one year during my renewal I am going to ask for the Rule copy. I am GC holder now and my Driverse license renewal is in September 09.

All i am saying is why do Green card holders have restriction on Drivers license for 1 Year as the purpose of GC is to stay permanantly in US.

I am not sure if DMV offices have right instructions to do this or they are completly unaware of rules and regulations.

The 1-year rule even for GC holders appears to be total crap. You should write to the DMV and get an official statement in writing.

There is no such rule in New Hampshire at least. I got my driver's license extended to 2011, but that's because I started this yearly renewal a couple of years ago and got my GC a few months ago. They didn't even charge me for renewal this time (or the last time), since I had paid the full amount 2 years ago. That's probably why I got the current renewal only till 2011, instead of 2013, so that I could make full use of my $50 application fee paid 2 years ago. Very friendly and sensible people up here at the DMV in Concord, NH, I must say.