Dress Code?

jasonb

Registered Users (C)
All,
Any idea if there is a customary dress code for N-400 interview? Will a typical dress slacks and dress shirt do? Ties are not mandatory, are they?

cheers!

I would recommend business casual to business formal. Dress slacks and dress shirt is fine. Some interviewees wear suits, but if you are are not used to it, I would not recommend it. Wear a suit if you have one and are comfortable with it. No need to go out and buy one. Ties are also optional.

My IO was wearing a tie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not read anywhere that a dress code is needed for the N-400 Interview. But just like any other interview, you want to dress to impress.

Just any Clean good looking Clothes , at my interview i saw some People dress like if they going to the Farm . i My self had regular cloths on me pants and shirt . idont remember seen any with suit..

I have not read anywhere that a dress code is needed for the N-400 Interview. But just like any other interview, you want to dress to impress.

The interview letter or yellow letter actually says something like "wear appropriate apparels"

I agree with prithis and others. No need to go out of your way to dress with suit and tie if that's something you're not used to. Business casual is plenty fine in my humble opinion. There is no part of the interview that has to do with clothing, they cannot deny you for wearing jeans as far as I know. However, they might refuse to interview you if you show up in your underware.

I know one lady who wore jeans and tshirt for n400 interview and she passed the interview. Now you can imagine what dress code you might need

The more shaky your case is, the more important what you wear is. If you have a criminal record and/or a history of extended travel outside the US during the past 5 years, subjective impressions can determine your fate, so in that event I would suggest dressing as if you're going to a job interview or half a notch down from that (e.g. shirt and tie but no jacket, or an office-worthy blouse and skirt if you're a woman).