• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Don't know the child's current name while filling DS-260

Anne88

Hello, I don't keep in contact with one of my adult children, so in my DS-260 I'll provide their name in "children" section as it appears on birth certificate. If they've changed it due to marriage, or legally changed the name, but I didn't know about it and didn't include their new name in the form, would DS-260 get denied? Would I get notified that they've changed their name, or what their current name is?

No, you will not be notified by the US government for the purpose of your immigration process that the child has changed their name. The child is responsible for keeping you informed, if they wish to.

List the name based on what is on their birth certificate. The only issue that could surface is if you decide to sponsor the child years down the road. Assuming the child already changed their name, you may need to prove the child with the new name is the same as the other or name, or need to explain why the new name wasn’t listed on the DS260 form you submitted.

Wait, if you don’t keep in contact, did you submit name and photo on the eDV? As required for all children under 21?

Yes, because I have their current photo, I just don't know what they're up to. If their current name changed before I submitted their name from the birth certificate on the eDV, could this affect my application? They wouldn't be going to the US with me, and wouldn't fill their own DS-260

Yes, because I have their current photo, I just don't know what they're up to. If their current name changed before I submitted their name from the birth certificate on the eDV, could this affect my application? They wouldn't be going to the US with me, and wouldn't fill their own DS-260

I already answered your question regarding the possibility of your child changing their name and you not being aware of their new name.

I was asking about DS-260 before, and then I've asked about eDV, but I suppose it doesn't make a difference then. Thank you for the reply!