Domestic Violence related interview experience

Relaxed

JohnnyCash,

I'm very happy and relaxed to hear this. My criminal judge never mentioned about immigration/alien stuff in the proceedings. I have watched that video more than 20 times alone and with attorneys.

My current criminal attorney is trying to get my case vacated on the same basis that the judge is required to inform me verbally, which he didn't do. My attorney even showed/read the statute to me.

I will keep this thread updated as there is progress in my case.

But can I still be denied US citizenship and for how long?

Thanks.

A criminal case could be vacated and an immigration judge wouldn't deport an alien despite of any kind of conviction on a deportable offense IF criminal judge failed to inform the alien about the immigration consequences at the time of accepting/approving a plea deal.

Obtaining US citizenship should be the last thing in your mind given that you are standing on the verge of being deported for good. If your domestic violence case gets vacated, you have nothing to worry about your citizenship chances...if not then forget about anything and rather try to put your energy in protecting yourself from deportation. Obtaining US citizenship and protecting from deportation are two different matters in your case. Your priority should be preventing yourself from deportation than caring about obtaining citizenship right now. You can always re-apply for the citizenship so long you are allowed to live here....

My case. Can you advise me on this?

I got my residence card on April/05 through a us citizen but on January/06 I was accused of family violence. Six month later I got a dismissal order after I attended a six month Anger Management class and singed a Differed Prosecution for one year that has already passed, not a Differed Adjudication. I only paid $20 to get out from jail 8 hour later. My public lawyer told me that I was found not guilty. No conviction. He said that I am able to expunge my record. I had no probation or community service. I just renewed my conditional green card and immigration did not tell me nothing. I got my 10 years card. My question is: Am I able to apply for citizenship now, or do I have to wait 5 years to apply? It has been only 2 and a half years since the problem. What Moral Character really means? If you were found not guilty, does it mean you don't have good Moral Character because of the wrongfull act?

No contest

I pleaded "No Contest". No Trial.

The result was "with-held Adjudication" with 26 weeks of Anger Management Classes and probabtion for a year which was early terminated after the classes were completed.

DId you plead guilty or "no contest" ? Was there a trial?

sorry it was question to Lopez

I pleaded "No Contest". No Trial.

The result was "with-held Adjudication" with 26 weeks of Anger Management Classes and probabtion for a year which was early terminated after the classes were completed.

To ganjik

sorry it was question to Lopez

No I did not hava a trial. I never saw a judge to give a plea. After I finish the anger managment class, my case was dissmis. My lawyer told me that because the judge found me not guilty, I have no conviction. Just the arrest showa up on my criminal record but he told me that I can exponge my record.

not sure

U are safe from deportation ! as for citizenship, it might be possible, this will be a chance game and will depend on what is written in police report, your story, your attorney, your interiewing immigration officer etc.

Anyway in 5 years from end of probation you should be in good shape for USC.

No I did not hava a trial. I never saw a judge to give a plea. After I finish the anger managment class, my case was dissmis. My lawyer told me that because the judge found me not guilty, I have no conviction. Just the arrest showa up on my criminal record but he told me that I can exponge my record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good

keep me posted pls on how your case gets settled.

Immigration office replied that my interview as been canceled as per my request and will advise of any further action taken on the case, including any rescheduling interview information, under a separate notice.

Hi Lopez,
Based on what you have written then you have nothing to worry about. I was also arrested for cheating, my case never got to trial/no plea/court appearance, I have received my oath letter.
Pretrial/Differed prosecution/ pre prosecution with no admission of guilt is not a conviction for immigration purposes.
Make sure you go to interview with all record; court record showing dismissal, arrest record e.t.c, it makes interview smooth
Good luck

Hi Elliot4004

Hi Lopez,
Based on what you have written then you have nothing to worry about. I was also arrested for cheating, my case never got to trial/no plea/court appearance, I have received my oath letter.
Pretrial/Differed prosecution/ pre prosecution with no admission of guilt is not a conviction for immigration purposes.
Make sure you go to interview with all record; court record showing dismissal, arrest record e.t.c, it makes interview smooth
Good luck

Let me ask you something. On the deffered prosecution I signed, it said I have to go to the anger management classes which I finished. I also signed that paper saying that I was guilty of the charges against me. It said that if I get in troubles within a year, I will give up my right to a trial and will be found guilty of the charges. The one year has already passed and no ploblems at all. My court appointed lawyer told me that the deffered prosecution agreement will be stay at the county prosecuter lawyer and will be not be filed with the court clerk. Do you think the FBI has that agreement? What did yours say? Did you signed accepting culpability as well?. I never gave a plea in front of a jugde. Just the deffered prosecution.
I was cheated by the my court appointed lawyer because he told me nobody will see that agreement and it will not bring any problems at all. But any way, the court documents say that I was found not guilty by the judge. What do you think. Is it the same experience you have?

Hello lopez1je,
Since you signed an agreement that you where guilty then you were convicted for immigration purposes. Also Pls consult an immigration lawyer immediately. If you haven't file for citizenship then do not file, see a LAWYER first.
Also what do you have on your court record, what does your court record says? Immigration go with court record

Immigration decision on a Domestic Violence Case

Thanks a lot to all for your inputs and suggestions.

After two re-schedules for the Citizenship interview and consulting to more than a dozen immigration attorneys, I decided to face the immigration officers. Upon the suggestions of immigration attorneys, I have filed the motion to vacate my old domestic violence case in the local criminal county court. My initial criminal attorney who filed the motion to vacate was experienced but lazy, hence he filed the motion but didn't follow up and my file was sitting in the clerk office for two months. When I found out that he didn't have any vested interest (since all the money for the case was taken on day one) I had to hire another criminal attorney to take over the case. My second criminal attorney is working on the case but it's like starting from scratch to get an appointment with criminal court judge. So it will take another two months to get the hearing.

In the mean time, since my citizenship interview was already re-scheduled twice, my immigration attorney suggested to go for the interview where we can request immigration officer to delay in making the decision on my citizenship file till the motion to vacate was finalized in the criminal court.

So I did go to the interview recently. The immigration officer was a lady. She went through my file as per the normal process. I had given all the documents about my domestic violence incident. I passed the English and History test with ease and was given N-652 (Naturalization Interview Results) with a check mark on "Decision cannot yet be made about your application". File had to be reviewed by another officer.

Yesterday, I received the letter from the Immigration office stating that I'm ineligible for naturalization as I have failed to establish the requisite good moral character for the five year period immediately preceding the filing application in Feb 2008, because I was arrested for battery-domestic violence in Sept-2003 and was convicted in Dec-2003. I was sentenced to probation for one year with early termination, to complete a twenty six weeks Domestic Batterers Program and ordered to pay fine. I successfully completed the Domestic Batterers program in about 6 months and my probation was terminated early, after about 6.5 months into probation.

This conviction occurred within the statutory period, which an applicant must prove good moral character. Since I committed an unlawful act that adversely reflects upon my moral character, my application for Naturalization is denied. If I desire, I can request a review hearing pursuant to section 336(a) with in 30 days of the day of notice with a fee of $605.00 with the application.

Now I have questions for the informed and knowledgeable.

Q1. Am I am still in trouble from immigration point of view, meaning that I can still be deported?

Q2: Can I now travel freely in and out of the US?

Thanks in advance.

Just my opinion:

Q1: I would say Yes. Nothing changed in your situation. If they didnt go after you this time this doesnt mean they wouldnt in future.

Q2: You can not. Until your case is vacated. There will be always a risk that you could get detained at POE due to your arrest and then they will find out that your were convicted. And your conviction is deportable.

Ganjik,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm in the process of getting the case vacated. I had a date with the judge about my case in few weeks but now it has been postponed as the judge want's to have vacation time on my hearing date. The date has been moved another 6 weeks now.

Thanks.

Just my opinion:

Q1: I would say Yes. Nothing changed in your situation. If they didnt go after you this time this doesnt mean they wouldnt in future.

Q2: You can not. Until your case is vacated. There will be always a risk that you could get detained at POE due to your arrest and then they will find out that your were convicted. And your conviction is deportable.

So you were arrested , but never convicted correct? And the police department is refusing to release your arrest record?