Does USCIS keep record of all entries and exits?

needsolution

Registered Users (C)
Does USCIS keep record of all entries and exits? For example when you apply for naturalization, how do they determine that you are telling the truth for the dates that you were in the US.?

think that is what they call BCIS checks, where they call for records

needsolution said:
Does USCIS keep record of all entries and exits? For example when you apply for naturalization, how do they determine that you are telling the truth for the dates that you were in the US.?

nowwhat2005 said:
they don't appear to do a whole lot to to keep track of your exits and entries if you drive. His passport was stamped only once when he enters US over a dozen trips.

What makes you think that a passport stamp is the only record of a border crossing?

JoeF said:
The airlines have to submit passenger manifests to them.

I assume that the passenger manifests have names and maybe some other simple information, but how can they have your A#, and how can that be connected to your immigration status? A lot of people have the same name. I have never had to produce my GC to an airline ticket counter when leaving the country.

The last time I entered the U.S. was in July 2005 at the Chicago O'Hare airport after about 4 weeks in Europe. The immigration officer in Chicago definitely did check his computer for the record of my departure. He told me so himself. As I understood from this transaction, my departure record contained my passport number but maybe not my A-number. The officer in Chicago was rather upset that my passport was not machine-readable and that he had to type the passport info in the computer manually. He also said that it was lucky for me that he did find a record of my departure in their system as otherwise I would have had to undergo some kind of a lengthy additional procedure.

I also do remember that at the time of departure from the U.S. the airline clerk did enter my passport info in his computer. I also showed him my green card but he only briefly looked at it and gave it back to me without recording any info from it.

Are all aliens subject to National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS) rules? or only certain nationalities ?

JoeF said:
As for not having to produce the GC, I sort of doubt that. They look in the passport for an I-94, and if they don't find one, they ask for something else, e.g., a GC. At least that's what they ask me everytime.

When I traveled to the UK in the summer, I was not asked for my GC by the airline personnel. Also, they only glanced at my (Canadian) passport; they did not swipe it. And they certainly didn't look at it long enough to get my DOB and enter it into a computer...

Upon return, of course, the airline at Heathrow looked at my GC.

hi i have driven quite a number of times between canada and US.

always i have just given my green card on both entries.(canada as well as US)
they always ask how long did u stay when crossing to US. abd how long are u going to stay while crossing Canada.

but sometimes i see the US agent looks into ur GC and smiles and asks custom related question and gives it back - these times ur entry is not recorded
but other times he does soemthing in the computer - not scanning though
so what do they do - do they take the A# form greencard and enter it or what

also in canadian side do they have the same thing; i see the guy lookin into my green card and seeing somehting in his computer- i dont think they scan
so dont know how they collect the info
any ideas?

Vancouver-Seatle land crossing - GC scan?

Please share your RECENT experience coming back to US on GC by car.
Do they scan/enter A# from your GC? Or just look at your GC?

I will be landing in Canada and returning on GC in a week. Canada immigration visa is machine-readable, as well as my passport (I guess that's what Canada will scan).

Would I get a "document mismatch alert" if my GC gets scanned by US officer?
(I would like to avoid giving explanations at US POE about Canada PR visa/status in my passport)

bob94102 said:
Please share your RECENT experience coming back to US on GC by car.
Do they scan/enter A# from your GC? Or just look at your GC?

I will be landing in Canada and returning on GC in a week. Canada immigration visa is machine-readable, as well as my passport (I guess that's what Canada will scan).

Would I get a "document mismatch alert" if my GC gets scanned by US officer?
(I would like to avoid giving explanations at US POE about Canada PR visa/status in my passport)

I have to say that you are really playing with fire. "Landing in Canada" is exactly the sort of thing that could get your GC status revoked. I don't know how the Canadian immigration laws treat this situation, but obtaining a permanent resident status in another country could be viewed by USCIS as evidence of abandoning your GC status here.

Now, you may or may not get lucky at the border this time since for the moment it appears that the entry/exit tracking system works rather haphazardly. But even if you manage to get back in the U.S. OK now, you will still have the underlying legal problem. And, at some later point, when you travel abroad again and then try to re-enter the U.S. (whether by land or by air), the same issue may come back to bite you.