Does I-140 has validity date ?

sf_ba_guy

Registered Users (C)
Currently my case is in I140/485 pending state and more information about my case can be found at

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=158761

The question i have here is, i have an approved I-140 for me which was filed by my previous employer. This was approved in 2001. Afterthat the company was folded down and i coudnt file 485 with them.

In the event that my current 485 is halted because of layoff, can i still go ahead and file NEW 485 for myself using the previously approved I-140 ? Is this possible ? Can the I-140 be used even after 4 years of its approval ?

Please advise.

New EVL..

Assuming that i transfer my H1 to a new company and the job title also similar.
Im not sure what approval notice you are referring to, but the EVL will be
issued by the (NEW) company.

My question was if you an approved I-140 from your previous employer and the company no longer exists then how can you get the I-140 approval notice as I-140 being employer petition?

Yes you can take the EVL from the new employer. But you will be filing for I-485 based on the I-140 approved for another employer who is not existing. Do you see my point??

Have Copies

Hathwar,

Though I-140 is employer petition, i have a copy of my approval notice which i got it 3 years ago. I believe that when you apply for I-485, you will send only copies of I-140 not the original approval notice. Gurus, please confirm this.

My point is,
I-140 approval means i have a approved immigration visa number.
Can i use that to file a I-485 by myself ?

sf_ba_guy said:
Hathwar,

Though I-140 is employer petition, i have a copy of my approval notice which i got it 3 years ago. I believe that when you apply for I-485, you will send only copies of I-140 not the original approval notice. Gurus, please confirm this.

My point is,
I-140 approval means i have a approved immigration visa number.
Can i use that to file a I-485 by myself ?
--- I agree with "hathwar" your employer who filed I-140 for you and got approved no more in busisness and yyou cant file I-485 based on that I-140, even if you hace copy of I-140 approval. if you file it is fraud as the company is closed and I-485 is filed for future permanent job with the petitioner who got I-140 approved and you should have the INTENT to work permanently with the employer when you file I-485 and in your case employer closed the shop how you can show the Intent to work with him???. FYI if company is closed I-140 can be automaticaly cancelled by USCIS. my advice dont play the game with USCIS.