• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Does higher case number mean your less likely to get GC?

By the way question, maybe for others confused too.

What does all current mean? For example if a region becomes all current in say August. Does this mean anybody with any case number for a region that becomes all current can apply?

yes

I have a high case number, 2011AS00033xxx, and I am trying to decide whether to go with AOS or CP or just not proceed with the application. I currently have an F1 visa and from what I understand from reading through multiple discussion threads, in case I get rejected or they run out of visas before I can get interviewed, I won't be able to (or have minimal chance) to renew my F1 visa. If this happens through consular processing, I guess that means I am stuck in my home country. But what would happen if I chose to do AOS and somehow I got denied or they run out visas before my interview? Would I have to leave the US? Or would I be able to continue studying but unable to re-enter if I leave the US? I have a clean record so I don't expect any problems but the combination of my case number being too high and this issue of F1 renewal has been bugging me. I have about 2 yrs left in my PhD and it would be a shame to lose my F1 status at this point. Considering many of my friends with PhD degrees have gone on to get a greencard quite easily through their employers, I am trying to decide if this whole thing is worth the risk. If I had a low case number, I would have been less worried about these things, but alas, 33xxx for Asia seems quite high.

toyakumar,
don't give up!
just give it a shot.
as far as i know, i know someone in the state dept, who told me that the fact that you have participated and won the lottery does not affect your application for a visa. it is a lottery and not a immigrant petition.
but in your case you should have time. as long as you are of legal status, ie, your f1 hasn't expired and you get adjusted by sept 2011 ... you will be fine. if you don't, you still are on legal f1 status. they will only cancel your f1 visa after you get your gc.
don't give up now!

Thanks leongsce and LoveAmerica for the encouragement! I might take your advice on consulting an immigration lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello;
I am Egyptian. I went to the Visa Bullitens. and in the Africa category, I noticed they put Except Egypt, Ethiopia and Nigeria and they put 3 cut offs which are much lower (almost half) of the cut off of the rest of Africa. Does any one here has any explanation for this?????
Thanx in advance

Excuses me. But how do u decide high case number or low? I'm confused. Mine case number is 2011AS00007Xxx..is it high or low?

Hello Kimbible;
According to the bulliten, ur case number is very low. You are lucky. Thus number should be current in November or December 2011.

Is he doing the AOS at the time ? I got a super high case number, 2011AS000429XX.
So I think when when can we file AOS if the main key here. Hope all regions become current in July 2011.

Anyone know what decide " ALL regions become current?" Thanks

Hi Stingmusic,
the reason for this countries have smaller case number is all because they have many winers compared to the other Africa nations and by their rule no country gets no more than 7% of the total visa in one fisical year.

Hi, Stingmusic,

Thanks for giving me the answer...
I actually own it once 8 yrs ago, which i don't remember the case number, but well.. i didn't heard anything after i sent first NL out.. so wish me good luck this time ... :p

Hello Kimbible; I hope this time is totally different. U have to follow the bulliten and if u found a delay in the second NL, u should call KCC with ur birth date, Case number and full name ready for inquiring about the date of ur interview.
GOOD BETTER BEST LUCK

Hi leongsce, and to all

I'm an international student, and plan to graduate in Sept.-Nov., 2011.
I belong to a super high case number in DV 2011 among ASIA 4XXXX.

Regarding of your idea, I'm about to bear in mind that my chance is going to be zero definitely.
Even I intent BCIS, I'm still not sure my case will be through in the manner of time (either DV deadline or out of I-20 status).

Some said I can file my case since July 2011 (90 days before 30 Sept.), others said USCIS might discard it (that means foul) since visa bulletin never become current yet.
Or even visa become current on Sept. 2011, my case eventually might be out of time frame of processing the case though.

Please suggest me.
Thank you so much.

05/10/2010: rcvd NL1
05/11/2010: sent back to KCC (DSP-122 (AOS) + bar code + return label + 2 photos)
05/12/2010: KCC rcvd my return (notified by UPS)

hi crna,
sorry to have taken so long to reply. ... your post was buried under the many other new posts.
i have posted my opinion to ftkhiong's post whose cn is like yours ... in the 4xxxx range. pls read those posts.
what i think is that everyone will get a chance... what is important is that you must be completely prepared when u submit your i485 ... leave no room for delay. since you will only graduate sept next year ... u shd give it a shot.
you'll never know when uscis will make all regions current. this year is kinda late. also the debate is still on about when to submit your i485. some say when current, or 60 or 90 or oct 1.
there's no harm in filing on jul2011 .... if they return yr package just submit it again.

have hope and just do it!
good luck.

Thank you sooo much for your suggestion, Stingmusic. That was exactly the question i was just about to ask !!!! ^_^.. I would do so and keep posting my progression online. One more question to ask, Do i really need the bring the graduation certification of elementary school and junior high school during interview or show them to USCIS?

Thank you sooo much for your suggestion, Stingmusic. That was exactly the question i was just about to ask !!!! ^_^.. I would do so and keep posting my progression online. One more question to ask, Do i really need the bring the graduation certification of elementary school and junior high school during interview or show them to USCIS?

No just High School diploma. A High School diploma is all you need.

A High School diploma is proof you graduated from High School and have achieved around 12 years of education.

Well Kimbible;
This is a tough question to which I don't have an answer. I think u need to start from high school certificate and more recent (college). Being an old man of 45 years. I don't even have such papers> You are licky u still have them :)
from where r u by the way????

To LoveAmerica and Stingmusic,

Thank you soo much for all your suggestion, but the thing is I didn't go to the Senior high school ( 10th ~ 12th grade) after Junior High school, Instead i went to Junior College of business, which was a five-yr program. After that, I went to University and Medical school. Completed my medical school few yrs ago and passed the 3 steps of medical board exam last yr. But I don't know if my Junior College degree would be equal to the senior high school degree though..so which certification should i bring during interview?

One more question, Should i file for I-485 before I go to interview? and if i don't have a job by then ( well..hopefully i do, im waiting for my H1B to start my medical residency ), do i need to file for any other documents? Sorry i got sooo many question, this is the first time i handle this all just by myself .....

and to Stingmusic, I am from Taiwan. ^__^

Thank you guys...^__^

To LoveAmerica and Stingmusic,

Thank you soo much for all your suggestion, but the thing is I didn't go to the Senior high school ( 10th ~ 12th grade) after Junior High school, Instead i went to Junior College of business, which was a five-yr program. After that, I went to University and Medical school. Completed my medical school few yrs ago and passed the 3 steps of medical board exam last yr. But I don't know if my Junior College degree would be equal to the senior high school degree though..so which certification should i bring during interview?

One more question, Should i file for I-485 before I go to interview? and if i don't have a job by then ( well..hopefully i do, im waiting for my H1B to start my medical residency ), do i need to file for any other documents? Sorry i got sooo many question, this is the first time i handle this all just by myself .....

and to Stingmusic, I am from Taiwan. ^__^

Thank you guys...^__^

kimbible,
you don't have to worry about qualifying for the dv ... you are a med school grad. you will be doing your residency. this is more than they require.
will you get your h1b, for sure, for your medical residency? isn't it mandatory that you are required to complete your residency in one of the teaching hospitals here before you can practice? if the answers are yes, then you don't have any issues at all. you will still maintain legal status once you have your h1b.
you have a low cn, so prepare your i485 and get ready to submit once you see your number current. bring ALL your degrees and education certs to the interview.

Well from what I seen you need a high school diploma OR proof you have done 12 years of study, though you pretty much over done the prequists since your in medical school along with years of being in a junior college before. Plus their pretty stupid if their going to decline a medical student over a silly high school diploma ^_^ dont worry about a thing!

is this case number too high? 2011EU00027XXX? is it possible i may not get a chance for interview? if yes, when should i expect to be scheduled for interview?