• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Does higher case number mean your less likely to get GC?

I'm confused with the case numbers high and low and how it links to aos or cp. Help me :confused:

loveamerica,
let me try to explain ...
every month the nvc publishes the visa bulletin (check here) http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html
the number published for that region (africa, asia, etc) is the cut off number. if your number is lower than the cut off then you are current - which means that a visa number is available for you. so if your number is high this means that you will have to wait longer for a visa number to be available. and with the dv there is a deadline of sept where the program ends. so the chances get slimmer if your number is too high and when you are nearing the end of the fiscal year in sept.
with aos the process takes longer, as you can see in many people's signatures. interviews may or may not be on the same month that you are current. doing cp, according to people who have done it, your interview is on the same month when you become current.
hope it helps.

Ok, thanks for the info! But I'm confused for why there are two months, are these the months for when you recieve/sent the letters for the winner?

Sorry to be so clueless about it!

Ok, thanks for the info! But I'm confused for why there are two months, are these the months for when you recieve/sent the letters for the winner?

Sorry to be so clueless about it!

for example, june's bulletin will list the cut off for june and advanced notification for july. in july's bulletin you will be able to see august's cut offs. this simply gives people some heads up to prepare for whatever they need to do.

Hi leongsces , do you think Asia will be current for August? my case around 28xxx and I am doing cp

Hi leongsces , do you think Asia will be current for August? my case around 28xxx and I am doing cp

firo1234
my guess is that you and i will be current in august. how high it will go in august ... is anyone's guess. i thought i will be current in july but the increment was so small from june to july. but also bearing in mind that the end of september is approaching, they may make all regions current in august so that as many people as possible will have time to be processed and uscis and the embassies will also have time to process the applications. it's all just my guess. we will have to wait and see.

i suggest you prepare everything now and be ready to submit.

firo1234
my guess is that you and i will be current in august. how high it will go in august ... is anyone's guess. i thought i will be current in july but the increment was so small from june to july. but also bearing in mind that the end of september is approaching, they may make all regions current in august so that as many people as possible will have time to be processed and uscis and the embassies will also have time to process the applications. it's all just my guess. we will have to wait and see.

i suggest you prepare everything now and be ready to submit.

Hi leongsce,

I read in your signature that you filed AOS intent in June last year. I'm not sure if you would know this, or whether it applies to your case, but I'm wondering, when you file an AOS intent can you also apply for work authorization in the US (for example you're an F1 student and want to apply for work authorization), or can you only apply for work authorization when you start adjusting the process, that is, when your number is current?

Thanks.

Hi leongsce,

I read in your signature that you filed AOS intent in June last year. I'm not sure if you would know this, or whether it applies to your case, but I'm wondering, when you file an AOS intent can you also apply for work authorization in the US (for example you're an F1 student and want to apply for work authorization), or can you only apply for work authorization when you start adjusting the process, that is, when your number is current?

Thanks.

ik20
i know that if the ead (i765) is filed together with the i485 you don't need to pay a fee. but if you file it separately it incurs a $340 fee. there is a section in the i765 instructions that covers f1 students, there are various categories, one of which may apply to your case and accordingly you need to fill out your eligibility in question 16 of the form.
basically, the 2 differences are ...
1. you hold f1 status and want to file i765 for authorisation to work in the US, before you decide to adjust your status.
2. you are adjusting your f1 status to permanent residency (i485) and filing form i765 to get authorisation to work before your case is approved.

in my case, when i submitted the ds122, ds230 to kcc, i indicated that i intend to adjust status. kcc then acknowledges that and sent me a confirmation letter to state that my case has been transferred to uscis. you will receive that letter if you have informed kcc that you want to adjust status.

hope that helped. let me know if you have more questions.

good luck.

Hi leongsce, and to all

I'm an international student, and plan to graduate in Sept.-Nov., 2011.
I belong to a super high case number in DV 2011 among ASIA 4XXXX.

Regarding of your idea, I'm about to bear in mind that my chance is going to be zero definitely.
Even I intent BCIS, I'm still not sure my case will be through in the manner of time (either DV deadline or out of I-20 status).

Some said I can file my case since July 2011 (90 days before 30 Sept.), others said USCIS might discard it (that means foul) since visa bulletin never become current yet.
Or even visa become current on Sept. 2011, my case eventually might be out of time frame of processing the case though.

Please suggest me.
Thank you so much.

05/10/2010: rcvd NL1
05/11/2010: sent back to KCC (DSP-122 (AOS) + bar code + return label + 2 photos)
05/12/2010: KCC rcvd my return (notified by UPS)

Last edited by a moderator:
ik20
i know that if the ead (i765) is filed together with the i485 you don't need to pay a fee. but if you file it separately it incurs a $340 fee. there is a section in the i765 instructions that covers f1 students, there are various categories, one of which may apply to your case and accordingly you need to fill out your eligibility in question 16 of the form.
basically, the 2 differences are ...
1. you hold f1 status and want to file i765 for authorisation to work in the US, before you decide to adjust your status.
2. you are adjusting your f1 status to permanent residency (i485) and filing form i765 to get authorisation to work before your case is approved.

in my case, when i submitted the ds122, ds230 to kcc, i indicated that i intend to adjust status. kcc then acknowledges that and sent me a confirmation letter to state that my case has been transferred to uscis. you will receive that letter if you have informed kcc that you want to adjust status.

hope that helped. let me know if you have more questions.

good luck.

Thanks for the answer! Based on the visa bulletin, it seems like your number will become current in August. Please share your AOS experience with USCIS and how long it takes to finish the whole AOS process. A friend of mine from EU won DV-2011 and has a high case number, and wants to find out how long it will take her to adjust, and whether she will make it before September 30th, 2011.

By the way, do you know anyone who has had a high case number and successfully completed AOS process before DV expired?

Thanks for the answer! Based on the visa bulletin, it seems like your number will become current in August. Please share your AOS experience with USCIS and how long it takes to finish the whole AOS process. A friend of mine from EU won DV-2011 and has a high case number, and wants to find out how long it will take her to adjust, and whether she will make it before September 30th, 2011.

By the way, do you know anyone who has had a high case number and successfully completed AOS process before DV expired?

ik20,
if you check the dv2009 aos thread ... around page 60+ onwards .... you can see the signatures of the 2009 winners and some of them are high cn's. what i can tell from their signatures is that they made it. the important thing is to prepare yourself well and send in early, don't invite any room for them to request for more info - that slows things down.

ik20,
if you check the dv2009 aos thread ... around page 60+ onwards .... you can see the signatures of the 2009 winners and some of them are high cn's. what i can tell from their signatures is that they made it. the important thing is to prepare yourself well and send in early, don't invite any room for them to request for more info - that slows things down.

Great! I'll check the thread. Thanks for the response.

For Asia for all past years the high case numbers get lucky to be current in the last 2 months, but as a hight case number I think we need to prepare documents very well so that we don't get more delay, hope I get current for august, I am so excited and tired of waiting hope I get my chance soon

I have a high case number, 2011AS00033xxx, and I am trying to decide whether to go with AOS or CP or just not proceed with the application. I currently have an F1 visa and from what I understand from reading through multiple discussion threads, in case I get rejected or they run out of visas before I can get interviewed, I won't be able to (or have minimal chance) to renew my F1 visa. If this happens through consular processing, I guess that means I am stuck in my home country. But what would happen if I chose to do AOS and somehow I got denied or they run out visas before my interview? Would I have to leave the US? Or would I be able to continue studying but unable to re-enter if I leave the US? I have a clean record so I don't expect any problems but the combination of my case number being too high and this issue of F1 renewal has been bugging me. I have about 2 yrs left in my PhD and it would be a shame to lose my F1 status at this point. Considering many of my friends with PhD degrees have gone on to get a greencard quite easily through their employers, I am trying to decide if this whole thing is worth the risk. If I had a low case number, I would have been less worried about these things, but alas, 33xxx for Asia seems quite high.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a high case number, 2011AS00033xxx, and I am trying to decide whether to go with AOS or CP or just not proceed with the application. I currently have an F1 visa and from what I understand from reading through multiple discussion threads, in case I get rejected or they run out of visas before I can get interviewed, I won't be able to (or have minimal chance) to renew my F1 visa. If this happens through consular processing, I guess that means I am stuck in my home country. But what would happen if I chose to do AOS and somehow I got denied or they run out visas before my interview? Would I have to leave the US? Or would I be able to continue studying but unable to re-enter if I leave the US? I have a clean record so I don't expect any problems but the combination of my case number being too high and this issue of F1 renewal has been bugging me. I have about 2 yrs left in my PhD and it would be a shame to lose my F1 status at this point. Considering many of my friends with PhD degrees have gone on to get a greencard quite easily through their employers, I am trying to decide if this whole thing is worth the risk. If I had a low case number, I would have been less worried about these things, but alas, 33xxx for Asia seems quite high.

I heard its less risky to do cp... but maybe you should get an immigraton lawyer for this type of situation. Good luck on what happens! Hope all things go well soon.

I don't know about AOS but in CP many guys with hight case numbers from Asia they get throught the interview and now they have green card, the last years guys with numbers 35xxx make it, so its up to you but I think in cp you can do it even if you have such a high case number, good luck

By the way question, maybe for others confused too.

What does all current mean? For example if a region becomes all current in say August. Does this mean anybody with any case number for a region that becomes all current can apply?

current mean that all region will have there chance for interview, it means if Asia current for August that mean all high case numbers will have there chance in that month, because I know guys with high cases up to 35000 in Asia they get current in July 2009, and he have his interview in the 7th so I hope thats help. good luck