Does anyone know where I can find the INS document about asylee can work unconditiona

for Gilbert

Dear Gilbert! you had been a great help on this forum. thanks

Can you provide some documentational proof that an Asylee can apply for government student loans such as FAFSA etc.
Plz forward some link from some website which we can print out and show the prospective school that asylees can apply for government loans..my cousin had trouble convincing school.

thanks a lot

cider_or

Originally posted by cider_or
My SS says "valid only with INS authorization" I would like to change it to clean SS, Please can someone provide me with this policy change so i can take it with me to SS office to prove it?

thanks a lot

Check also discusion: "Refugee/asylee: this might be a good new for you" I created more than a year ago when I first posted about this topic, and have brought it back for you.

For Lazerthegreat.
I applied for FAFSA a while back (I didn't finish the process). and they told me I have to sign for Military Draft, so I think we are eligible for governemt Loan, otherwise they would ve tell me I am not eligible.
hope this help.

eligibility for loans

Originally posted by Lazerthegreat
Dear Gilbert! you had been a great help on this forum. thanks

Can you provide some documentational proof that an Asylee can apply for government student loans such as FAFSA etc.
Plz forward some link from some website which we can print out and show the prospective school that asylees can apply for government loans..my cousin had trouble convincing school.

thanks a lot

This Department of Education Page explains it well

After sending in the FAFSA form, the applicant will receive a letter from the Department of Education confirming (among other things) that INS records indicate that he/she is eligible for financial aid. The school gets a copy of that letter and it will be the best proof in the world.

VERY IMPORTANT

Men 18 to 26 MUST register for the draft regardless of their interest in FAFSA.

FAILURE TO REGISTER WILL DISQUALIFY YOU FROM CITIZENSHIP IN THE FUTURE.

Originally posted by cider_or
For Lazerthegreat.
I applied for FAFSA a while back (I didn't finish the process). and they told me I have to sign for Military Draft, so I think we are eligible for governemt Loan, otherwise they would ve tell me I am not eligible.
hope this help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unrestricted SSN

cider_or,

I don't know if you are still planning on changing your SSN card to non-restrictive. I went to the SSA office last week to change mine from restrictive to non-restrictive, and today I received my new unrestrictive SSN card.

I strongly recommend that you bring the policy change article with you because I had to argue with the customer representive at the SSA office even with the article. I told the customer representative that I called the SSA 1-800 number (I did actually call the number) and someone told me to come in the local SSA office to get a new SSN card. I then said you must be kidding me that I am not entitled for a new un-restrictive card. I then ask the customer representative to read the article carefully. After 5 minutes of arguement, she finally agreed to issue a new SSN card to me.

Good luck.

Cchong,

Thank you for the message. It is sad that policies made at the national level sometimes are not well understood by field people who actually have to implement them. We just have to be persistent (even sometimes obnoxious) in order to assert our rights in the face of ignorance.

The message is that do not get frustrated even if someone at first says that we are not eligible for something (like the nonsense that asylees cannot get credit cards). Do not give up because we know we are right.

Thanks cchong, I haven't got a chance to go yet, but I appreciate your input, so I will call SS 800 number to be prepared.
what is the SS 800 number by the way?
Thanks again

cider_or,

You actually don't need to call SSA. You can just go to your local SSA office to apply for a non-restrictive SSN card. (Remember to bring a copy of the policy changed article with you.)

If you really want to call the SSA office before you go, you can check out the below URL for phone number (It depends on where you live):
http://www.ssa.gov/regions/regional.html

Just don't take 'no' as an answer becuase most of us on this board know that the staff does not know what he/she talking about if the answer come back to you is no. Remember, you can always ask to talk to his/her supervisor (Don't be rude, it will not do you any good). I think you should be fine.

Good luck.

You know Cchong, I have a unique case, I was granted in August 1998, I was never given or had my I-94 stamped for Employment authorization, I never received a Notice of Action (I think because I moved twice). during my moving I misplaced the Judge letter granting me the asylum, So I had to contact the Immigration court where I was granted and they send me a copy of the letter. That's all I have plus of course EAD that I am renewing every year. Now will it be possible to have my SS changed to unrestricted with what I have?
after I filed my I-485, I was hoping I will get something in a mail , never did, I start getting worried now, so I contacted the Nebraska office, I ve talk to an officer, I gave him my Alien number, he looked up my case, he said "we maild you a receipt on Dec 6th", now I start getting some releif. but yeah . I don't know if I should continue to inquire about my case or not? to all others if you read my message, tell me if I should be worried or everything will be alright.
thanks

Cider_or,

As long as your status shows as an Ayslee in the INS's Database (computer system) I don't see there is any problem for you to get a non-restrictive SSN card. I believe that you have an A# (it shows on your EAD card), you can always call the 1-800 voice mail system at teh Nebraska office to find out your current status. You should wait until the INS office is closed when you call.

If you look at one of the first URL I sent you earlier, you can see that the document is a steps-by-steps processes for the SSA office to verify your status with INS. I strongly recommend you to call the INS 1-800 number before you go to the SSA office so that you can know your actual status on the INS computer system.

BTW, my I-94 does not say "Authorised to work" either (I got granted as an Ayslee in May 2002). Again, one of the documents (the two URLs) I sent you mentioned that it is not neccessary to have the "Authorised to Work" legend shows on the I-94.

Gook Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i always check my case through the INS 800 numbers, it says I have between soemthing between 320 and 480 days.
thanks

My I-94 does not say "Authorised to work" either (I got granted as an Ayslee in December 1997). It says "asylum granted indefinitely according to..." What receipt, you say they sent you on December (last year?)

INS officer told me they sent me a receipt on Dec 6th 1999, but I never received one.
Tomochka, have you heard anything yet, looks like there is 1 year difference betwwen your case and mine?

I got derivative asylum status from my father and endered US in 1996. On my I-94, it says

ASYLUM STATUS GRANTED PURSUANT
TO SESTION 208(c) THE IMMIGRATION
AND NATIONALITY ACT
VALID TO MAR 19 1997
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED

I went to social security office and tried to get the unrestricted card. The officer told me that my asylum status expired and couldn't issue me the card. She also queried SAVE online system to check my status. The system didn't say I was granted asylum status either.

Does this really mean my asylum status expired? Please advise.

Thanks.

No, it does not. Just people you were talking to are not competent, It happened often - INS cases are very complicated, so not everybody can give you right answer. Keep looking for right person. Try to call INS phone for free consultation what to do
1-800-375-5283 or to some national immigr. organization as HIAS 800-4427-714, they can answer, help, make apptmnt - free or not expensive,
I am sure you have your status. After traveling abroad, I have got
cimilar mark in my i-94
asylum status expires on...
i had call to customs imm.officers in the airport I came to, they told me it was just regular mark they put into I-94 after arrivel, it does not effect my status, given for indefinite period.
Try to find out more info.

I think my case is very unique. The ss officer did sent a letter to INS for a secondary verification because my asylum status is not found in SAVE system. Here is what they responded me in the mail.

We cannot give you a Social Security card because:

The Immigration and Naturalization Service office has advised us that the documents you submitted regarding your alien status has expired. Please visit your nearest Immigration office any day except Wednesday with your passport and visa in reference to your status.

Should I just try another ss office or go to INS office to have my status update in the system first?