Does a foreclosure of a home affect US citizenship?

Pavan_N

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to foreclose home due to bad market condition. I bought home in high market and becoming very tough to pay the mortgage. So I am thinking to foreclose it. I have a job but not much or no savings after the mortgage payment. Does a foreclosure affect US citizenship in future? I got GC recently.

Anyone in MB got citizenship after foreclosure please post your experience.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Pavan

I am planning to foreclose home due to bad market condition. I bought home in high market and becoming very tough to pay the mortgage. So I am thinking to foreclose it. I have a job but not much or no savings after the mortgage payment. Does a foreclosure affect US citizenship in future? I got GC recently.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Pavan
It doesn't have any effect on your future chances for naturalization unless of course you have some lawsuit against you for mortgage fraud.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Pavan

You financial status is your own business. Foreclosure, bankruptcy, credit ratings doesn't affect N-400 unless there is a criminal charge associated with it.

Only other potential issue might be is if you owe any back taxes

But you still must pay tax for that home, because tax lien is N400 denial for sure. Bad credit because of IRS problems too.

If you go into foreclosure on your mortgage . The mortgage company will sue you , obviously your name will come back as a "HIT" with namecheck which will take forever for you to get out of . After the case is done with { may be in months},the court will prabably find you liable , you will have to pay court cost and neccessary fines which will probably delay your N-400 application.

Wait till after your citizenship before messing yourself up.

my 2 cents.

None sense. Civil matters are of no relevence when its comes to your immigration status or name check. I am involved in many law suits (as a defendent) most of which are still pending. I applied for naturalization at the end of September and have my oath ceremony this coming Friday.

Your decision to give the house back to the bank should be purely based on what makes financial sense to you. Your N400 application shoud have no barring on the forclosure decision.