• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Does 50,000 DV Visa Entiled Only for Principal Applicants or Include Family Members?

ruehyinn

Registered Users (C)
Initially I thought the 50,000 DV visa allocated is only for principal applicants only. However after reading the following link (DV-2003 analysis):-

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1466.html

I realized that 50,000 DV visa is shared among the family members of the principal applicants...

Take Asia for example in DV - 2003 (these are those that obtain the visa)

Principal Applicants - 2999
All Reported Applicants - 6174

Is my understanding correct?

Initially I thought the 50,000 DV visa allocated is only for principal applicants only. However after reading the following link (DV-2003 analysis):-

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1466.html

I realized that 50,000 DV visa is shared among the family members of the principal applicants...

Take Asia for example in DV - 2003 (these are those that obtain the visa)

Principal Applicants - 2999
All Reported Applicants - 6174

Is my understanding correct?

includes family members

It includes family members, but the numbers in a region are not consecutive. The gaps between the case numbers are larger than the number of family members.
Asia has been current around August lately, so everybody has good chances!

They include family members.
203(c)

(E) Distribution of visas. -

(i) No visas for natives of high-admission states.- The percentage of visas made available under this paragraph to natives of a high- admission state is 0.

(ii) For low-admission states in low-admission regions. - Subject to clauses (iv) and (v), the percentage of visas made available under this paragraph to natives (other than natives of a high-admission state) in a low-admission region is the product of-

(I) the percentage determined under subparagraph (C), and

(II) the population ratio for that region determined under subparagraph (D)(ii).

(iii) For low-admission states in high-admission regions. - Subject to clauses (iv) and (v), the percentage of visas made available under this paragraph to natives (other than natives of a high-admission state) in a high-admission region is the product of -

(I) 100 percent minus the percentage determined under subparagraph (C), and

(II) the population ratio for that region determined under subparagraph (D)(iii).

(iv) Redistribution of unused visa numbers. - If the Secretary of State estimates that the number of immigrant visas to be issued to natives in any region for a fiscal year under this paragraph is less than the number of immigrant visas made available to such natives under this paragraph for the fiscal year, subject to clause (v), the excess visa numbers shall be made available to natives (other than natives of a high-admission state) of the other regions in proportion to the percentages otherwis e specified in clauses (ii) and (iii).

(v) Limitation on visas for natives of a single foreign state. - The percentage of visas made available under this paragraph to natives of any single foreign state for any fiscal year shall not exceed 7 percent

(d) Treatment of Family Members. - A spouse or child as defined in subparagraph (A), (B), (C), (D), or (E) of section 101(b)(1) shall, if not otherwise entitled to an immigrant status and the immediate issuance of a visa under subsection (a), (b), or (c), be entitled to the same status, and the same order of consideration provided in the respective subsection, if accompanying or following to join, the spouse or parent.

(E) gives limitations. So, (E) applies to family members as well

raevsky: the english is too deep that i don't understand :). But i think to make things clear, one of this day, I shall call up KCC to find out.

It includes family members, but the numbers in a region are not consecutive. The gaps between the case numbers are larger than the number of family members.
Asia has been current around August lately, so everybody has good chances!

pharunde2: So you are saying the number is not continuous? Is it like 14,000 then the next number is 15,000?

Yes, it is very likely that the CNs are not continuous. For example, this year in Asia there are 14k people selected, but CN goes to more than 30k. Also, all cut-off numbers listed in the Visa Bulletin end in x000 or x500 (most of them) or x00 or x50 (I'm wondering how they do it).
The same is true about other regions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see...

Anyway, all that we discussed here are just speculations. Let's just hope all of us have the opportunity to get the green card :)