Documents submitted with N-400(LPR-5Yrs) and Document asked at interview - Recent ACTUAL Experience

OmGV

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Thanks for responding. I know there are document checklist threads with a sticky, I am requesting recent actual experiences, for a straightforward LPR 5 years

Documents with Application

GC
DL
Passport
Photos
Application
Check

Documents for Interview

GC
DL
Passport
Photos
Interview Letter

Anything else was asked. No traffic tickets over 500, no travel after GC greater than 6 months. Straightforward.

Thank again for your response.

You don't need passport or DL with N-400 application. I sent GC copy, application, fees, photos. For interview I took GC, passports, interview letter, DL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

Thanks for responding. I know there are document checklist threads with a sticky, I am requesting recent actual experiences, for a straightforward LPR 5 years.

The Sticky is the cumulation of the experiences from many contributors over years, and I would follow that list as much as I can if I were you. Bottomline is that you'll never know what would come up in the interview, so just not to try outsmart the Sticky or make assumptions based on " recent, actual" experiences. Goodd luck on your interview.

Yes, you don't need to send copy of passport or Driver's License with N-400. Other than that for a straightforward 5 year case it's usually enough to show to the interview with Driver License, passport, and Green Card (it's also good to go with a couple of passport photos in case there was some problem with the ones you submitted). Even the passport is not that bad in case you lost it. Anyway, my experience is not recent.

With my N-400 Application Form, I submitted a copy of Permanent Resident Card, 2 photos (with my name at the back), Personal Check for $675.00.

When I went for interview, I brought with me my passports old and latest, Social Security Card, Permanent Resident Card, Driver's License, 3 years tax transcript and Original and copy of Marriage License.

During the actual interview, the IO only asked to see my Permanent Resident Card and asked to see my original Marriage License and kept a copy for my file. That's it!

Trying to understand the criticality of these additonal docs

It might be good to have these additional docs, but I am trying to understand the criticality of these non-asked documents for those of us who doesn't maintain a file on our lives. Thanks for people who report their actual experiences.

It might be good to have these additional docs, but I am trying to understand the criticality of these non-asked documents for those of us who doesn't maintain a file on our lives. Thanks for people who report their actual experiences.

Prior to my interview, I made every effort to collect just about every document listed in the sticky. The only things I was asked for were my GC and driver license. The IO noticed that I had tax transcripts and the Selective Service status letter, so he offered to take those and add them to my file. If I didn't have those documents, it wouldn't have been a problem anyway. Also, I provided my Selective Service registration number in the N-400. The IO mentioned that my registration has already been verified, but it doesn't hurt to add the status letter to my file.

What it all boils down to is it's better to have an overabundance of evidence than to be issued an N-14 (Request for Additional Documents) and have the decision postponed by an indefinite period of time. As they say, better safe than sorry.

When I sent my N-400 application, I included:
copy of Permanent Resident Card - front & back
2 photos (signed on the back),
personal check for $675.00.

For the interview I took:
GreenCard, Drivers Licence & Foreign passport

Despite numerous listed trips, the IO did not ask for my passport.

However, she did request tax transcrips - this looked like it was going to delay my application for a while - but, at the end of the interview she said she didn't need them after all. Based on her comments early in the interview, I think she was mistaken and thought I was applying based on "three" years - when she realised I was a "five year" applicant she dropped the question of tax transcripts.

My interview is coming up next month and I am preparing my documents for the interview. It is good to know that for 5yr LPR they are not asking for any thing more than basic documents. This thread is really useful.

- JS.

Nice to know that this thread is useful - 07/09/09

Nice to know that this thread is useful - 07/09/09

So the consensus is just GC at the time of application and for interview additionally,

DL
Passport
3 Years tax transcipt
Marriage License

When I sent my N-400 application, I included:
copy of Permanent Resident Card - front & back
2 photos (signed on the back),
personal check for $675.00.

For the interview I took:
GreenCard, Drivers Licence & Foreign passport

Despite numerous listed trips, the IO did not ask for my passport.

However, she did request tax transcrips - this looked like it was going to delay my application for a while - but, at the end of the interview she said she didn't need them after all. Based on her comments early in the interview, I think she was mistaken and thought I was applying based on "three" years - when she realised I was a "five year" applicant she dropped the question of tax transcripts.

Auscal, How many trips did you have?

I applied under a 5yr rule and I prepared, just in case, all sorts of documents for the interview (tax transcripts, copies of traffic ticket dispositions, employment letter, W-2s, mortgage statements, etc). The only things the IO asked for during the interview were my green card, driver's license, interview notice and the picture page of my passport. The passport only came up because there was a complicated issue with my patronimic/middle name and the IO was trying to figure out what my legal name was.
I also prepared a printed list of all the foreign trips, including dates and countries visited, since becoming an LPR. I had about 11 trips total, about 4 of which were after I filed N-400. The IO took this list and put it in my folder with the N-400. This spared us some time in terms of updating thravel info on the N-400 itself. The IO did not check the travel stamps in my passport and did not ask me for any other documentation related to the trips (most of which were a few days to a few weeks in length, and a couple of trips of 3-4 months in length).

I applied under a 5yr rule and I prepared, just in case, all sorts of documents for the interview (tax transcripts, copies of traffic ticket dispositions, employment letter, W-2s, mortgage statements, etc). The only things the IO asked for during the interview were my green card, driver's license, interview notice and the picture page of my passport. The passport only came up because there was a complicated issue with my patronimic/middle name and the IO was trying to figure out what my legal name was.
I also prepared a printed list of all the foreign trips, including dates and countries visited, since becoming an LPR. I had about 11 trips total, about 4 of which were after I filed N-400. The IO took this list and put it in my folder with the N-400. This spared us some time in terms of updating thravel info on the N-400 itself. The IO did not check the travel stamps in my passport and did not ask me for any other documentation related to the trips (most of which were a few days to a few weeks in length, and a couple of trips of 3-4 months in length).

We fill the trip details in N-400 application form, did you prepare another list? Did you add more details like reason for the trip etc?
I have made 7 trips totally and two of them are around/above 3 months.

We fill the trip details in N-400 application form, did you prepare another list? Did you add more details like reason for the trip etc?
I have made 7 trips totally and two of them are around/above 3 months.

No, I did not add any more details than what is requested on N-400. The reason I made this list was that my interview was more than 2 years after filing N-400 and I had several new foreign trips since N-400 was submitted. Also, part 7C of N-400 only provides space for 10 trips, and I had at least 11 of them (maybe even 12, I don't remember now), so the full info, by the interview date, would not have fit into N-400 anyway. So I prepared a complete list of all trips, from the time of getting a green card to the time of the interview.

No, I did not add any more details than what is requested on N-400. The reason I made this list was that my interview was more than 2 years after filing N-400 and I had several new foreign trips since N-400 was submitted. Also, part 7C of N-400 only provides space for 10 trips, and I had at least 11 of them (maybe even 12, I don't remember now), so the full info, by the interview date, would not have fit into N-400 anyway. So I prepared a complete list of all trips, from the time of getting a green card to the time of the interview.

Thanks.

Auscal, How many trips did you have?

I had 7 trips listed on my N-400, then had four more trips in the 15 month period between my application and interview.(One of the trips on the application was 176 days, one after application was 135 days, the others were all one-three weeks long.)
I took a list of the four "new" trips to my interview, and just handed this to the IO, who included attached it with my application. She went through each of my trips one by one, to check the number of days of each trip. I was "off" on the exact number of days - she tried to tell me that you include both the day you leave and the day you return as part of the trip - I thought this was NOT the information given on the USCIS website, but saw no point in trying to correct her. She then meticulously added up the total number of "corrected" days - even though I was nowhere near the "physical presence" limit. Her checking of the number of days/trip length took 10-15 minutes - yet, she never bothered to even look at my passport to confirm any dates etc. I just sat calmly while she did her math - I knew I had no problems, so, whatever whe needed to do was just fine with me.