Documents needed for Naturalization

You are very much welcome, Careerlady.

Thank you for saying such a kind words. However, you gave me an opportunity to tell you how kind you are. You have a heart of gold.

"A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles."-William Shakespeare

Thank You Johnny Cash

JohnnyCash,
I would like to thank you for your continuing and invaluable support to immigrant/non–immigrant community. I (and I am sure several other members) really appreciate the way you take time out and helps individuals/forum and educate others in immigration matters. It really takes lots of initiative, very high spirit and good heart for such a benevolent help.
I learned a lot from your posts and your in-depth analysis and expertise in the area is really impressive.

Good bless you. Keep up the good spirit !

JohnnyCash said:
You CANNOT register once you turn 26 yrs of age, but if you were in the US at ANY STATUS (even illegal) except valid nonimmigrant visa status between the age of 18-26 then you were required to register with Selective Service, which means you would need to get Status Information Letter from Selective Service regardless of when you got your green card.

The point to understand is-it doesn't matter when you got your green card, the matter is-whether or not you were in the US between the age of 18-26 in ANY STATUS other than valid nonimmigrant status. If so, then you were required to register and would need a letter form Selective Service. Period.

hi johnnycash! can you please clarify your statement. is selective service for male in the US between the age of 18 to 26 or 18 to 25? because you said one cannot register after he turns 26 yrs of age. so did you mean that the selective service age range is from 18 to 25 yrs of age? also, what did you mean by any status except valid nonimmigrant visa? so if a male was here in the US and is between 18 to 25, if he has a tourist or student visa (which are nonimmigrant visas), he is not required to register for selective service? did i understand that correctly? please advise. thanks!

The age requirement is very tricky. It says-if a male who is at least 18 years old but is not yet 26 years old MUST need to register. So when it says-not 26 yrs old then it seems to ME that a male who is 25 yrs + 11 months + 29 days+ 23 hours+?minutes+?seconds+?nano seconds+??? falls within this requirement.

Males on VALID tourist visa, student visa or on any other nonimmigrant visa are not required to register with Selective Service. Anahit has already answered to you what you needed to know anyway.

You can check these links to read EVERYTHING about Selective Service.

http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

http://www.shusterman.com/natz-ss99.html

helper00 said:
JohnnyCash,
I would like to thank you for your continuing and invaluable support to immigrant/non–immigrant community. Good bless you. Keep up the good spirit !

It is so nice of you to say such a nice words. Helping others is my 'die-hard' passion. I've been helping people on 2 more other immigration forums for the last 3 yrs and in a local church in NYC as well which is well known for immigration help. My expertise is not only in immigration laws, but also I advocate on family laws and bankruptcy laws as well. I give also moral and family counseling as well.

An encouragement and appreciation such as from you and others actually motivate me what I’ve always loved to do. I'm glad and happy to know that I've been able to make a difference in this immigrant’s community on all these forums. I don't know how long I would stick around, but I will do my best as long as I could.

I wish you and everyone on this board a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. This a wonderful time of the year. This is the time, not only for sharing, but also for giving. Also, this is a time for miracles as well if only you believe. That said, never give up your hopes as miracles do happen, and dreams do come true, if only you believe on them.

Keep faith. America still remain the beacon for freedom and opportunity.

Good luck to everyone.

Thank you JohnnyCash!!!

I'm visiting this forum after long time and your comments found very helpful and detailed. :) Such comments helps people like us who wanted to become proud USC by filing USC application themselves.

I hope you will continue to help us by providing helpful "CORRECT" information.

You are valuable asset to this forum. This forum has helped me to get my GC smoothly since I was well prepared for my GC interview.

Happy new year and thanks a bunch!!! :)

JohnyCash, I have a speeding ticket from 1997 when I was going at 77mph in a 55mph zone. In Virginia that happens to be a reckless driving charge. I pleaded guilty and paid the fine. My license was never suspended and I was not put on probation. What do you think is my chance at the interview, which is on 3/13, and what documents should I carry? I do not have a copy of the ticket and there is very little evidence available in the court.
Thanks.

DesiCanDo said:
Dear Friends,
Thank you all for your valuable input. I was 27 years 11 months when I came to United States on H1B Visa. (Is H1B a non immigrant Visa? Please advise).

Do I still need to file for Selective Service?

Thanks

Technically you don't need to. But if you're thinking of filing for N-400, the consensus around here seems to be that it is best, at least for 'peace of mind', to get a Status of Information letter for the SSS website : http://www4.sss.gov/instructions.html .

And H1B is a non immigrant visa.

JohnnyCash , this is great! Thank you!

Quick question. Do know if your passport must be valid? What if it is expired and you cant get a new one (scared to go back to the home country to renew it).

Form 1722?

Hey Johnny

In your original post you referenced Form 1722 from the IRS. There is no reference to this form on the IRS website. What is this form?

Thanks

backroady said:
Hey Johnny

In your original post you referenced Form 1722 from the IRS. There is no reference to this form on the IRS website. What is this form?

Thanks

Tax transcripts=Form 1722. When someone requests a tax transcript then the form that is used by IRS to furnish such request, is called Form 1722, which is tax transcript itself.

e17345 said:
JohnnyCash , this is great! Thank you!

Quick question. Do know if your passport must be valid? What if it is expired and you cant get a new one (scared to go back to the home country to renew it).

During naturalization interview, the validity of passport means nothing because USCIS checks passport (if they would like to) just to see applicant's travel outside the country. That is. That means, even if someone has a passport that is expired, yet still it doesn't matter to them. They NEVER check and care the validity of the passport. Period.

DesiCanDo said:
Dear Friends,
Thank you all for your valuable input. I was 27 years 11 months when I came to United States on H1B Visa. (Is H1B a non immigrant Visa? Please advise).

Do I still need to file for Selective Service?

Thanks

No. You were NOT required to register with Selective Service.

Traffic tickets violation :confused:

Johnny, please clarify this issue ASAP. I had one speeding ticket over 8 years back. Do I need to report on the N-400 form (arrests/citations etc.). I can get the copy of driving records etc for the interview but what should be written on the form?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

foreverafter said:
That is new info for me, I didn't know that NYC has daily oath ceremonies, but again how did you know for sure that this is the case , any thing posted in the web ?

Thanks

The district office and sub-offices in NYC area hold Oath Ceremonies 3 times a week (not everyday though). However, the Oath ceremony is conducted/performed only in Brooklyn court wherein up to 1800 people can be accommodated at one time ceremony. So, one can figure it out that there won't be any delay in taking Oath in NYC area.

Good luck.

JohnnyCash said:
The district office and sub-offices in NYC area hold Oath Ceremonies 3 times a week (not everyday though). However, the Oath ceremony is conducted/performed only in Brooklyn court wherein up to 1800 people can be accommodated at one time ceremony. So, one can figure it out that there won't be any delay in taking Oath in NYC area.

Good luck.

Thank you , and good to see you back.

Regards

Arrest effect green card,

When I had my Greencard, a few yrs ago I was arrested under simple assualt and then dismissed after one night in jail - as No papered.

My concern is how will this affect my citizenship app, whats the best course of action, and what do I have to do to provide the appropriate paperwork.
I have a certified copy of the dismissal, it was dismissed as "No-papered" and I was let go.

In fear of loosing my greencard I never challenged any of it.

1. Besides, the N-400 app do I have to submit anything additional in reference to the arrest?
  2. If so what what records do I need to procure, in reference to this arrest?
  3. Do they have to be certified and submitted right up front with N-400 or wait till interview?
  4. I am already guessing this arrest record will damage my chances, but how to minimize this and be cautious?
    Will any immigration attorney know how to handle this?

green card stolen

Hi johnnycash,
my wallet was stolen with my green card in it, what do i do to prepare for the interview after submitting the N400.

If you are married, you have to file as either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. Filing as single, when you are married is against IRS rules.

Talk to a lawyer ASAP. At the interview, they don't always look at your tax returns, but sometime they do.

Do NOT apply as unmarried if you are married -- that is lying and could get you into a world of trouble.

Johnny, This is an amazing post. (I am big Johnny Cash fan myself!!). Had a point of clarification on the marriage issue. I got married after I got my GC to a Canadian citizen. The marriage was in India. She is currently in US with me on a valid student's visa. Should I (a) let the INS know in the interview that I am married but not in the US? or (b) take some preemptive action right now (like filing for her I140 etc) or (c) stay silent and simply apply for her GC after my citizenship is through.
Any advice would be great.
Sal