Documents needed for H4: consulate experience

skalmari

Registered Users (C)
We got married in May 2005 and i left to India in June. My wife attended visa interview at kolkata consulate on Jun 29 2005 since there were no available dates in Chennai jurisdiction

She was denied visa and asked to go to chennai for the reason that she could not show the original H1B approval notice and my return ticket and itinerary .

I just gave photo copies of my originals to my wife since i thought the customs officer might demand my approval notice at the time i re-enter into United States?

My other friend's wife also got denial at kolkata consulate since her passport did not had her husband's name!

I do not see any any of these requirements on the consulate website. Any such experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:
skalmari said:
We got married in May 2005 and i left to India in June. My wife attended visa interview at kolkata consulate on Jun 29 2005 since there were no available dates in Chennai jurisdiction

She was denied visa and asked to go to chennai for the reason that she could not show the original H1B approval notice and my return ticket and itinerary .

It is obivious the officer wants to see the original documents. Her H4 is purely based on you H1.(The authenticity of the H1 will come through the original H1 approval notice). Did you amend the name in her pp, spouse name etc. If she get the 221 g you can see what are all the other things needed before going to Chennai consulate. It may get delayed but she will definitely get her H4. I know it is very hard after marriage, if you would have planned the interview etc before going to India, it would have been nice for her.
Be patient, do not get panic.
I just gave photo copies of my originals to my wife since i thought the customs officer might demand my approval notice at the time i re-enter into United States?

My other friend's wife also got denial at kolkata consulate since her passport did not had her husband's name!

I do not see any any of these requirements on the consulate website. Any such experiences?

Hi,
I find this happening to many newly weds. The excitement of the marriage is just over, and the new bride (in most cases) has to face the herculean task of confronting the visa officer. In a H4 case the Visa officer is not just looking for the genuinity of the company, the financial capacity of the spouse, but also the authenticity of the marriage. Therefore it is imperative for a newly wedded applicant to be aware of details pertaining to the spouses life / job in the U.S prior to marriage. Pls feel free to revert to me for any queries at raji@karmlaw.com

See Kolkata consulate website

The Kolkata consulate website has clearly mentioned that you should carry i797 original or notorized and your spouse name should be mentioned in the passport. Delhi and Chennai does not have this requirement. Now a days I heard that if any additional doc's required they are kolkota is redirecting to chennai.

skalmari said:

Sorry to hear that.But don't worry.If you did some home work before the appoinment you might aviod this.Atlease browse this forum.Also try to arrage some thing like this for next time chennai.Good Luck man

File 1:

1. I797
2. DS 156 and DS157 forms with photos(50 X 50)
3. Passports
4 DD's 4600 each and 2600 each + DD 441
5. Employers letter to consulate
6. I129 and LCA

File 2 :
1. Original certificates and marksheets
2. Paystubs
3. W2 and 1040Z tax return forms
4. Experience letters
5. company inside outside pictures
6. Old I797
6. Client letter

File 3 :
1. Bank statements
2. Utility bills
3. Coworkers affidavit letters
4. SSN Card
5. Old offer letters
6. Old experience letters
7. Air tickets with Itenary.

skalmari said:

I am in the same situation. We got married in May. I thought getting H4 would not be problem since I have all the papers and letter form the employer. I was so wrong. When she went to apply for the visa, she sent her back saying they will contact her in a week and after a month gone by they have not still contacted her. When she was there they asked all sorta questions ranging from what kind of marriage (arranged/love) and where the party was given and how many ppl attended the party and pics with 2 albums was not enuf for them.

She thinks the problem is that she had applied for student visa (a year ago) and got rejected. Does it has to do anything for her not getting H4 visa? And what shoud I recommend to her? Any help regarding this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

**** One thing i forget to mention was that she didn't change her Passport. Would that have helped her getting the visa?*****

Last edited by a moderator:
221g redirected to Chennai from Kolkata

Hi Friends,

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions and experiences...

I have recently applied for H4 along with my husband's H1B on 7th July 2005 in Kolkata as we did not get slots in Chennai. I was rejected for student visa, i.e; F1 in 2003. We got married in Feb,2005. She asked my husband whether he married me with the intention to take me to US. Then she asked about the US company.....she said that we need to go to Chennai consuate for completing the process and gave us 221g document. She only saw I797 form and did not ask for any other documents. She did not tell us any other documents that we need to take when we reapply in chennai. Plz help us regarding this case. Do we need to get the W2 forms of other employees in US or any oher addiional documents would help us? We are planning to go to chennai consulate soon.

Thanks,
Lucky