Documents for travelling abroad with AP

LCSilence

Registered Users (C)
My AP has been approved. And I need to travel to home country fairly soon. What documents I need to bring if I want to enter with AP?

Thanks,

When you depart US submit the I-94 at airline counter
When you take flight for US show AP
At POE show AP and Passport

Keep 3-4 extra copy of AP you may have to give Copy of AP at Airport or to Airlines when you board flight for US

Copy for airline

I dont think we need to show the AP copy to airlines...I dont remeber doing it in my case last year unless the rules have changed.......

It would be a good idea to carry your EAD card with you. You may need to show it as you won’t be able to work without it while you are on AP.

Airlines ask for a copy. Last month I travelled via AP and they took one copy from me.
So have copies incase if you need

AP

I am also planning to travel soon. But i have not recd my AP till now.. I am planning to apply for emergency AP.....

Otherwise I have my approved H1 extension....though my passport visa has expired last year...Can i travel with my H1 extension papers only or do I need to have a AP to travel...Pls advise..

Thanks

Nice guy

I was on my H1-B and am currently working, I am applying for green card through marriage. I have turned in everything needed to local INS. I was told that it will be a long process, so I also turned in the advance parole application the same day, since I want to go to China in Oct/Nov. If the advance parole is granted, do I still need to go to the American embassy in China to get a visa to be able to come back? Or passport and the advance parole will be enough?

I am asking this because I am very confused. The officer at the local INS office told me that even with AP, I need to go apply for a visa from the American Embassy in China; but when I called the 800 number of INS, the information officer told me, I only need AP, since that is the travel permit. When I asked my company lawyer the same question, she only told me that AP is the travel permit, but didn't mention if I still need a visa.

I hope somebody out there who actually had the experience of travelling outside the US with AP could help me with this! I would really appreciate it if somebody could answer my question! Thanks a bunch in advance!

Hello Anne
I myself am on H1-B and will be travelling using AP. I don't have an H1-B stamp on my passport. I am going to just use my passport and AP to travel. (of course I will keep other documents handy, just in case).

Since I am planning to travel and have not travelled already, I would not advice you to go by my words.

Thanks guju for the info you provided. That's actually what I thought, that the AP is a travel permit, which works as a visa when I come back from abroad. I'll ask around to see if I can get more info and will post it if I do get an answer myself.

Is it necessary to have a I-485 receipt ? If so do we need to carry the original or will a photocopy do. Thanks,

BB

Hi Guju
I'm also in similar boat like you.. I don't have H!B stamped. I'm planning to go on AP and apply for H!B so that my family can come on H4. Any idea, if they refuse my H1b stamping, and in the worst case cancel my B1/B2 visa, whether I'll be able to come back on AP or not?
Thanks

I travelled on AP

I came back to US with AP last week. At the port of entry the only documents required where valid passport and advance parole document.

My H1B visa stamp had already expired.

dm

Re: I travelled on AP

dm88md,
Were you asked any questions about employment etc?

I plan to go to India and come back on AP. I485 has been filed for less than 180 days, and I resigned from my sponsoring company.

Do you forsee any problems?
Sdd

Originally posted by dm88md
I came back to US with AP last week. At the port of entry the only documents required where valid passport and advance parole document.

My H1B visa stamp had already expired.

dm

As far as I know the POE officer will not ask you any question about employment.
However, if your sponsoring company notified BCIS and withdrew your I-140, then your 485 may be denied, and that will invalidate your AP. So I don't know how this situation will work out.
You should talk to a lawyer.

How many copies of AP we should receive

Guys,

Please clirify my question

Yesterday I received my Advance Parole documents. But I received only two copies of Advance Parole. My friend told me that I should receive three copies.

Is there any problem with two copies. Sill I able to tralvel out of USA. Please cliarify my doubts.

Thanks in advance

AP

sdd,

Sorry, I could not reply earlier.

No questions were asked at the port of entry. At the POE we were asked to go to the Secondary inspection area. There an officer took the passports, I-94 form and AP. He came back after 15 minutes and gave us back the passports, AP, and I-94 with the stamp paroled until one year from that date.

No questions were asked about employment or anything.

GCNC,

I had only two copies of AP. I guess that is enough. At the port of entry they gave me back both the copies after stamping.

By the way, my port of entry was San Francisco.

dm