Documents For H1 Extension . Please sticky if necessary.

Balrog1978

Registered Users (C)
I'm creating this thread for putting up the EXACT documents needed for H1 Extension in Chennai consulate (it differs from Mumbai which needs additional so this is highly specific to Chennai). If this is list incomplete, please help me complete it - the photocopies vs original resolution sort of completes any lingering questions so If I've made a mistake - please correct me.

If someone could help me tally/verify these documents needed for H1 Extension stamping in Chennai , I would really appreciate it. Getting an RFE or 221(g) is VERY annoying because of missed out documents. Hopefully this will consolidate everything one needs to know in once place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Documents : -

Original DS-156
Original DS-157
Passport with Copy of I-94 given by CBP officer on previous port of entry
HDFC VISA FEE Receipt with barcodes
1 Photograph made to US VISA specifications
Original Consulate VISA Appointment letter
Original I797 Approval Notice
Original I-129 for H1 Extension
Original Offer letter from company that EXPLICITELY describes employee position/wages/company details.

Copy of I-129 for *Original* H1 Approval
Copy of W-2/Income Tax Returns
Original Degrees (Bachelors or Masters. Secondary Not needed)
Original Degree mark sheets
Pictures of workplace (showing inside, outside, Logo)
Bank Statements (at least past 6 months)
Paystubs of current employer (better to take all)
All previous passports
Photocopies of ALL the original documents mentioned above.

Some Additional Stuff : -
Dress Code : Wear Formals.

Chennai Consulate Information : You are NOT take anything inside (such as mobiles etc) except for the VISA documentation, your wallet. There is no place to store extras which are not allowed and if you have no one waiting for you ..ur in trouble!!

Documentation folder : This is very important - Ive seen people being turned back because of the folder. The consulate expects all documents to be carried in a translucent folder (you can get these at stationaries). You want to do everything in order to avoid a picky consulate officer so do this final bit right as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm creating this thread for putting up the EXACT documents needed for H1 Extension in Chennai consulate (it differs from Mumbai which needs additional so this is highly specific to Chennai). If this is list incomplete, please help me complete it - the photocopies vs original resolution sort of completes any lingering questions so If I've made a mistake - please correct me.

If someone could help me tally/verify these documents needed for H1 Extension stamping in Chennai , I would really appreciate it. Getting an RFE or 221(g) is VERY annoying because of missed out documents. Hopefully this will consolidate everything one needs to know in once place.

Documents : -

Original DS-156
Original DS-157
Passport with Original I-94 given by CBP officer on previous port of entry

------------------ How you can keep Original I-94 You need to surrender your I-94 when you depart US (you can make copy of I-94 front and back for future records)
HDFC VISA FEE Receipt with barcodes
1 Photograph made to US VISA specifications
Original Consulate VISA Appointment letter
Original I797 Approval Notice
Original I-129 for H1 Extension
Original Offer letter from company that EXPLICITELY describes employee position/wages/company details.

Copy of I-129 for *Original* H1 Approval
Copy of W-2/Income Tax Returns
Original Degrees (Bachelors or Masters. Secondary Not needed)
Original Degree mark sheets
Pictures of workplace (showing inside, outside, Logo)
Bank Statements (at least past 6 months)
Paystubs of current employer (better to take all)
All previous passports
Photocopies of ALL the original documents mentioned above.

Some Additional Stuff : -
Dress Code : Wear Formals.

Chennai Consulate Information : You are NOT take anything inside (such as mobiles etc) except for the VISA documentation, your wallet. There is no place to store extras which are not allowed and if you have no one waiting for you ..ur in trouble!!

Documentation folder : This is very important - Ive seen people being turned back because of the folder. The consulate expects all documents to be carried in a translucent folder (you can get these at stationaries). You want to do everything in order to avoid a picky consulate officer so do this final bit right as well.

--------------