Do you have to state your citizenship?

jt12

Registered Users (C)
this videos show people refused to state their citizenship and the officers let them go because claims of been detain
I don't try to stereo type but with my accent and nationality, I'm sure I don’t get the same treatment from immigration

this videos show people refused to state their citizenship and the officers let them go because claims of been detain
I don't try to stereo type but with my accent and nationality, I'm sure I don’t get the same treatment from immigration

Honestly - since acquiring US citizenship, I don't answer that question and simply hand over my passport. I think that is answer enough. I've had a few officers act all bothered but I don't acknowledge their response/reaction. Whats the point of answering that question when you now have to provide proof of citizenship - I might as well conserve some energy.

If you're referring to the unmarked DHS check points they have been setting up inside the US, legally they can't detain you unless they suspect you're not a US citizen. The reason the guy in the video keeps getting through the checkpoint is that he's white, English speaking and therefore they end up not suspecting his citizenship. If you have an English accent and refused to provide your citizenship it's cause for them to suspect you're not a citizen and detain you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u6uw7506xMw

I have to drive through an internal border patrol checkpoint twice a week (and in fact cannot leave my home in any direction without doing so at some point - the joy of living near the border!) and often get asked my citizenship. I always used to say English and volunteer my permanent residence status but since becoming a US citizen only once have they asked and they just smiled and said have a nice day. I figure if they don't believe me I'll spend some time in secondary while they look me up.

That’s my point do you have to look American to be American to an officer
My brother in law is from New York he lives in Mexico he does not look American and don’t speak English, would they take his word for it or send him to a second inspection

That’s my point do you have to look American to be American to an officer
My brother in law is from New York he lives in Mexico he does not look American and don’t speak English, would they take his word for it or send him to a second inspection

There is most likely a higher incidence of secondary inspection with non-white, accented people that there are with white English speaking people. Racial profiling is a reality, not a myth.