Do we need to update Social Security before applying for passport?

siyaram

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Do we need to update the status in social security office before applying for a passport? Can we apply passport first and update the status in social security office next?

Thanks.

You do not need to update the SS before applying for the passport because the Department of State does not match SS with your name or status. It only checks the SS that you put on application for any IRA flags and verifies it against the list of persons prohibited to travel.

Hi All,
Do we need to update the status in social security office before applying for a passport? Can we apply passport first and update the status in social security office next?

Thanks.

It is better to update Social Security Card as soon as you are naturalized. The SS office just want to see the original naturalization certificate before updating. If you apply for passport, you need to wait 3-4 weeks to get your original naturalization certificate back.

I did the passport before updating Social Security because the SSA accepts the passport as proof of citizenship and I wanted to take my naturalization certificate out of circulation as quickly as possible. Either way is fine though.

I did the passport before updating Social Security because the SSA accepts the passport as proof of citizenship and I wanted to take my naturalization certificate out of circulation as quickly as possible. Either way is fine though.

i did the same thing, got my passport first, then i went to the SSA to update my SS record, i gave them my passport, the officer scanned it then he gave it to me back

Passport first. Then go to SSA office with your passport to update your citizenship status. This is the easiest, least troublesome way of updating SSA.

The main benefit of notifying the SSA is to avoid issues with eVerify when you take a new job, or with voter registration where some states cross-check your citizenship status with the SSA before adding you to the voter list (or removing those who are already on the list, if the SSA does not confirm their citizenship status). So there is no need to rush to update the SSA if you are not applying for a job or registering to vote anytime soon.

Some DMV agencies verify that the name matches the SSA records. So, it is advisable to update the status before applying for a new DL or renew an existing DL.

Really this was a no brainer for me. It was a 10 minute affair at the local SSA office for applying to update the SSN and no sending originals around. I put in the application to update my SSN and then send in my passport application right after that. For me it was a matter of getting one more important task completed (and it should be done irrespective of how some may try to justify their "laziness" :)).

Logically I opted for the SSN update before the passport so both processes could proceed in parallel; since the latter required submitting the original for a few weeks. It finally took around 9 weeks and 4 phone calls to get my new SS card (although took only 10 days for my wife); so I suppose it was smart to start that process sooner than later.

Really this was a no brainer for me. It was a 10 minute affair at the local SSA office for applying to update the SSN and no sending originals around.

It finally took around 9 weeks and 4 phone calls to get my new SS

Heavily edited but no words out of original sequence. Now, what do you say?

Some DMV agencies verify that the name matches the SSA records. So, it is advisable to update the status before applying for a new DL or renew an existing DL.

Yes! DMV asks first for Social Security Card update if name changes on the DL.

It doesn't matter which one you do first. But I agree with taking the Naturalization Cert out of circulation as soon as possible. I've applied for my passport and as soon as I get it, my Nat Cert goes into a bank safety locker!

I still haven't bothered notifying SSA of my status.

ditto here - and I got naturalized 8/15/08

My wife naturalized in 1992 :eek: and has not done it either. Her SS card does not have the "not valid for blah blah" verbage as she got it aeons ago. Mine does (I came to the US after her) and while filling out my SS-5 I realized she needs one too...

Social Security Card-New Look

After becoming US citizen, I updated my status with SSA. I got my new social security card with new name but old number. I noticed a change in the new card. At the bottom of my name "USA" printed in gold color. This may be due to new printing version (2007) as compared to my old SS card printing version (2004).