DO in Mt. Laurel, NJ

kdatyeva

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has had any recent Citizenship Intw experience at the Mt. Laurel, NJ DO? My interview is scheduled for Tue, 9/23and any experience that can be shared will be great.
Thanks!

Whats u timeline like and can u tell us about your experiences at ur Interview, i just had my FP done and my case will be forwarded to Mt. Laurel

thanks

Intw @ Mt. Laurel, NJ

Will certainly do. The Big Day is tomorrow :eek:

Application mailed - 7/11/08
Application received - 7/15/08
Priority date - 7/11/08
Notice received - 7/18/08
Fingerprint appt notice - 7/22/08
Fingerprint appt date - 8/6/08 in Philadelphia, PA
Fingerprint completed - 8/6/08
Interview letter received - 8/22/08
Interview scheduled - 9/23/08

Last edited by a moderator:
Will certainly do. The Big Day is tomorrow :eek:

Application mailed - 7/11/08
Application received - 7/15/08
Priority date - 7/11/08
Notice received - 7/18/08
Fingerprint appt notice - 7/22/08
Fingerprint appt date - 8/6/08 in Philadelphia, PA
Fingerprint completed - 8/6/08
Interview letter received - 8/22/08
Interview scheduled - 9/23/08

Good luck. looking forward to hear your experiance. Including the paper work they asked you (courtpapers, tax transcript etc..)

Citizenship Interview - Mt. Laurel, 9/23 - DONE!!

As promised, my interview experience :
Arrived at the Mt. laurel office at 9:15am for the interview that had been scheduled for 9:55am. They let me in, and in fact, there were about 25 people sitting in the waiting room already. I gave the appointment letter to the lady at the check-in desk and she asked me to take a sit. It is a very spacious, brand new office with very nice and pleasant people working there. The officers would come and call the applicants, smile and greet everyone - so I was impressed. All went pretty fast and around 10:30am, the AO came out and called my name. We walked to his office, where he asked me to raise my hand and swear etc, then the interview started. He asked for my GC, DL and a passport. Then he went through the application, just asking whether anything changed between then and now. I have my GC for more than 8 years and had a few trips that were more than 6 months in 2000 and 2001 and was waiting for him to ask about it - no word. I guess it was irrelevant at this point as he looke at the last 5 years only. Then he asked only about my last trip outside of US in 2006 that lasted 6 days. He also asked why my first child was born outside of the US while I was a green card holder - I said that my husband was working over there and my family still resides there, so I felt more comfortable being close to them - he said it makes sense.
Had to write a sentence - "I want to become a US citizen" and answered all 10 questions. He didn't ask for any documents or taxes as he had everything on file already ( Isent everything with the application). Yes, he asked if I pay taxes - I said yes. That was it for the taxes (I brought the transcripts and the actual returns with me, just in case). He only asked for my marriage certificate and I gave him a copy. I asked if he needed my birth certificate as well, he said he had it from my GC file and showed it to me along with the envelope that I sent in 1999 to participate in the Green Card lottery :eek: that was impressive. Then he said, everything looks good but he still needs to check if I have all the requested background clearance papers :confused: My heart stopped for a sec and then he said everything was fine, and even joked that they have nothing negative on me:D He said that I was approved and if I wanted to do the Oath ceremony at 3:15pm, he could schedule me for that. I said yes, of course - and that was it. He was very pleasant, professional and family oriented. He did mention a few times in the beginning that once you are a citizen you can sponsor your family and relatives. Then he repeated it again. I came back at 3pm for the Oath ceremony and it took about an hour for everyone in the room to receive certificates. There was something very exciting about the ceremony, especially when they showed us a movie about the first immigration. I guess all 24 of us sitting there were very excited.
The only "annoying" thing about the process was that he made me change my official signature (the one I have been using all my life) as it was considered not quite readable :confused: and since, I have taken my husband's last name, he said that it has to have something from it:confused: Now I don't know what to do - shall I change it on all legal papers like bank, DL, SSN etc? That will be a major headache..

My timeline
Application mailed – 8/01/08
Application received – 8/05/08
Priority date – 8/07/08
Fingerprint appt notice – 8/12/08
Fingerprint appt date - 9/05/08 in Philadelphia, PA
Fingerprint completed - 9/05/08
Interview letter received - 9/24/08
Interview scheduled - 10/17/08

Hey man,
congrats onf gettinf il letter so fast, i applied on 8/12 so hopefully should also get it soon, which i douth as my first name is Mohammad, an i am sure it will take time to clear :)
Congrats once again

My timeline
Priority date – 8/07/08

Arrived at the Mt. laurel office at 9:15am for the interview that had been scheduled for 9:55am. They let me in, and in fact, there were about 25 people sitting in the waiting room already. I gave the appointment letter to the lady at the check-in desk and she asked me to take a sit. It is a very spacious, brand new office with very nice and pleasant people working there. The officers would come and call the applicants, smile and greet everyone - so I was impressed. All went pretty fast and around 10:30am, the AO came out and called my name. We walked to his office, where he asked me to raise my hand and swear etc, then the interview started. He asked for my GC, DL and a passport. Then he went through the application, just asking whether anything changed between then and now. I have my GC for more than 8 years and had a few trips that were more than 6 months in 2000 and 2001 and was waiting for him to ask about it - no word. I guess it was irrelevant at this point as he looke at the last 5 years only. Then he asked only about my last trip outside of US in 2006 that lasted 6 days. He also asked why my first child was born outside of the US while I was a green card holder - I said that my husband was working over there and my family still resides there, so I felt more comfortable being close to them - he said it makes sense.
Had to write a sentence - "I want to become a US citizen" and answered all 10 questions. He didn't ask for any documents or taxes as he had everything on file already ( Isent everything with the application). Yes, he asked if I pay taxes - I said yes. That was it for the taxes (I brought the transcripts and the actual returns with me, just in case). He only asked for my marriage certificate and I gave him a copy. I asked if he needed my birth certificate as well, he said he had it from my GC file and showed it to me along with the envelope that I sent in 1999 to participate in the Green Card lottery :eek: that was impressive. Then he said, everything looks good but he still needs to check if I have all the requested background clearance papers :confused: My heart stopped for a sec and then he said everything was fine, and even joked that they have nothing negative on me:D He said that I was approved and if I wanted to do the Oath ceremony at 3:15pm, he could schedule me for that. I said yes, of course - and that was it. He was very pleasant, professional and family oriented. He did mention a few times in the beginning that once you are a citizen you can sponsor your family and relatives. Then he repeated it again. I came back at 3pm for the Oath ceremony and it took about an hour for everyone in the room to receive certificates. There was something very exciting about the ceremony, especially when they showed us a movie about the first immigration. I guess all 24 of us sitting there were very excited.
The only "annoying" thing about the process was that he made me change my official signature (the one I have been using all my life) as it was considered not quite readable :confused: and since, I have taken my husband's last name, he said that it has to have something from it:confused: Now I don't know what to do - shall I change it on all legal papers like bank, DL, SSN etc? That will be a major headache..

How did u obtain the tax transcript for federal and stategovernment(NJ)?
How long did it take to get?

Congrats Kdatyeva

Sounds like a nice experience in contrast to some of the other poster's experiences today.

Hi All,
I checked my status online today and got following messege:
"Case Status Retrieval Failed
The status for this Receipt Number is incomplete at this time in this automated system and can not be displayed. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center."

I last check my status on Sunday and my details was available (just info that USCIS recd my application and send me letter etc)

I called USCIS today and talked to customer service, who could not locate my file and after 5 mins transfer me to a officer. The officer after talking all details informed me that there is nothing to worry about. They have dispatched a letter for my interview on 4th Nov and if i don't get the letter in 10 days make a infopass and get copy of letter from Mt Laurel office.
mY time line is as follows:

PD: 8/15/08
FP schedule: 9/19/08
FP done (walk In): 9/13/08
IL: Not recd (but talked to IO at USCIS) 10/07/08
ID: 11/04/08

Mount Laurel, NJ
I got my citizenship today. It was a great experiance. Thanks guys for all the support and guidance. I went there around 10.15AM. The IO called me around 11.AM and goes through the interview process quickly. He asked me 15 questions and he had all the documents that I submitted in (madrass) 6 years ago. I was little bit surprised and he is a philly Fan and we talked a little bit regarding the phillys chances in the world series. He asked me whether i had any traffic tickets and why i checked no in in the
N400 other than that he had nod problems. He asked me whether I paid all my tickets and told me to stay away from trouble. As far as document concerned he asked my GC drivers License and social security card. Everything else went fine. I took the oath around 3.15PM and the whole process is over.

Priority date – 8/07/08
Complete interview and oath 10/17/08

Total days ----75

Hi All,
I had my interview today. Time was 11:10a.m but was called in at 12 noon. Everyting took 20 mins. IO was very professional. Everything as per normal procedure like oath, questions etc. He only asked for prove of my Selective service. NOthing else. In the end he said everything is in order but he cannot give a decision now as in 2006 comming back i was stop at JFK for questioning and he wants to check somthing about it and i should get a decision via mail within 30 days.
So for me its 30 more days wait now ;(

My Time Line:
PD 8/15/08
FP notice: 8/27/08
FP Dated: 9/19/08
FP done (early walk in): 9/13/2008
IL: Never recd mail but got copy from Local USCIS office on 10/27/08
IL Date: 11/4/2008
Interview Done: 11/4/08 and waiting for decision (may take more that 1 month)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
He only asked for prove of my Selective service. NOthing else.

Sorry to hear about your delay. You mentioned above that the officer asked about proof of Selective Service. What document did you provide him to prove it? Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your delay. You mentioned above that the officer asked about proof of Selective Service. What document did you provide him to prove it? Thanks.

Just my luck that it got delayed, but hopefully it should be done soon.
I had registration card with S.S number on it, when i recieved the S.S registration card I filled 1 portion and send it back to Select service andand kept the second one with me.
Also if u are registed u can go online and put u S.S # in and get a copy of prove on line. The office kept the online copy i had for his record and return the card to me

Hi All,
It is just my luck or what I don't know, but since my interview on Nov 4th I heard nothing from USCIS. I called them couple of times and was only able to talk to reps. I was in no hurry. I called today and by mistake gave them my wrong Pirotry number. Not being able to find my case I was transferred to IO. After taking all my info he told me that my # was wrong. He said that Letter dates 12/15/08 is dispatched to me for my oath at on 12/22/08 at 8 a.m. I was surprised and happy. He said if I don't recd my letter by Friday then call back and they can give me all details like places etc.

I have 2 questions.
1. Is it normal that they issue letter so close to oath date?
2. If I don't get my letter by Thursday, then should I schedule info pass and go or call USCIS as my mail comes around 4p.m? I don't want to miss my oath date. Pals suggest.
This same thing happened with me for my IL letter, I guess the phone thing really works for me

My timeline is as under:

PD 8/15/08
FP notice: 8/27/08
FP Dated: 9/19/08 (Philly)
FP done (early walk in): 9/13/2008
IL: Never recd mail but got copy from Local USCIS office on 10/27/08
IL Date: 11/4/2008 (Mt. Laurel, NJ)
Interview Done: 11/4/08 and waiting for decision (may take more that 1 month)
Oath date: Called USCIS on 12/16/08 and was informed my oath dated is 12/22/08

I have 2 questions.
1. Is it normal that they issue letter so close to oath date?
Yes, oath letter one week oath is common.
2. If I don't get my letter by Thursday, then should I schedule info pass and go or call USCIS as my mail comes around 4p.m? I don't want to miss my oath date. Pals suggest.
Mt Laurel may not have Infopass appointments available so soon. Worse case scenario is to show up at oath and tell them you haven't reveived oath letter, You have already received confirmation of your oath date and time so you are good to go.