Do i need to send form 1099 with W-2

sanj111

Registered Users (C)
hi i m sending I-864 for my parents to nvc , i have last year joint irs return with my wife(1040A). and as per instruction they say i have to send copy of W-2 and form 1099.
i dont have form 1099, i have only W-2 , do i have to send that form 1099???
help out pls

anywhere from two weeks to four months.
$0.
If you don't have 1099, you don't have it. That's that.

A transcript now takes up to 10 business days by regular mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually if you have a fax machine they can fax it to you withn 5 min..just call them and say i would like a copy of my 2006 tax transcript and W2 faxed to me and they will ask you are you near your fax machine and u will say yes and thats it....no need to wait 10 daysss

sanj111, form 1099 are information statements used for passive income such as interest income, dividend income, capital gains from stocks. If you didn't have to report any such passive income (no income on the line for taxable interest or qualified/unqualified dividends, no Schedules C or D) you only need to send W-2 with it. Essentially, they want you to submit a complete tax return including any and all information statements you received about your taxes that you didn't have to file with IRS.

sanj111, form 1099 are information statements used for passive income such as interest income, dividend income, capital gains from stocks. If you didn't have to report any such passive income (no income on the line for taxable interest or qualified/unqualified dividends, no Schedules C or D) you only need to send W-2 with it. Essentially, they want you to submit a complete tax return including any and all information statements you received about your taxes that you didn't have to file with IRS.

1099 is also used to report a contractor's income - which is a very active income :). You as a contractor get to pay the taxes yourself - and it's quite a bit of them.

Thanks LucyMo, I need to add that to my future reply to 1099 questions. You're right it's used for all kinds of income reported as an information return, active and passive income. Just for fun, here's a list of different 1099s (courtesy of wikipedia and IRS.gov):

* 1099-A: Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property
* 1099-B: Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions
* 1099-C: Cancellation of Debt
* 1099-CAP: Changes in Corporate Control and Capital Structure
* 1099-DIV: Dividends and Distributions
* 1099-G: Certain Government Payments
* 1099-H: Health Coverage Tax Credit Advance Payments
* 1099-INT: Interest Income
* 1099-LTC: Long Term Care and Accelerated Death Benefits
* 1099-MISC: Miscellaneous Income
* 1099-OID: Original Issue Discount
* 1099-PATR: Taxable Distributions Received From Cooperatives
* 1099-Q: Payment from Qualified Education Programs
* 1099-R: Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
* 1099-S: Proceeds from Real Estate Transactions
* 1099-SA: Distributions From an HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA

Other common information returns include W-2G (Certain Gambling Winnings), 1098-T (Tuition Statement), and 1042-S (Foreign Person's US Source Income Subject to Withholding).

Last edited by a moderator:
do i need to need notarized my I-864 . i m sending I-864 form to nvc. its consular processing for my parents r in india.????