Do I need to keep my L-1 visa current while I-485 is pending approval?

Grasspoint

Registered Users (C)
Hi there, I am currently on an L-1A visa and going for my Green card. Recently I received EAD and AP for all my family and last month had my Biometrics and Fp taken. (pending I-485) My question(s) are:

1/ Current L-1A due to expire in August 2006, do I need to keep it current while I wait for I-485 approval?

2/ I have AP but if my L-1A expires in August, can I still use my AP after that to travel with no fears of problems in getting back into the Usa?

THanks for your input.
Gary

L1-a Gc

Answers below:

1/ Current L-1A due to expire in August 2006, do I need to keep it current while I wait for I-485 approval?

Ans: Thats the best idea. In case ur 140/485 gets denied, u can still stay in US by maintaining ur L1 status.

2/ I have AP but if my L-1A expires in August, can I still use my AP after that to travel with no fears of problems in getting back into the Usa?

Ans: Yes. U can always use AP without any problem. However, the moment u use AP, u r no more on L1 and is in "AOS pending status". It is not a problem, but as I said before, if ur 140/485 gets denied and u r no more in L1 status, u will have to leave US immediately.

So best idea is to keep extending ur L1 status until u get GC in hand. Also, when u visit India try to come back on L1 and use AP only as a last resort.

======================================================
I AM NO LAWYEAR, I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY OF MY ADVISES HERE AND THIS IS ONLY MY PERSONAL ADVISE WHICH YOU SHOULD USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
======================================================

gc4freedom said:
Ans: Yes. U can always use AP without any problem. However, the moment u use AP, u r no more on L1 and is in "AOS pending status". It is not a problem, but as I said before, if ur 140/485 gets denied and u r no more in L1 status, u will have to leave US immediately.
Pardon me for my objection.
Even though you use AP to enter the US, your L1 is still valid unless the validity of L1 is expired.

From Grasspoint

Thanks guys,
I appreciate your help.
Correct me here if neccessary,
I therefore dont need to have my L-1 valid while I-485 is pending but if my I-485 is turned down, I have to return back to hell!

Grasspoint said:
I therefore dont need to have my L-1 valid while I-485 is pending but if my I-485 is turned down, I have to return back to hell!
you are right.