Do i need to get reentry permit?

SundayE

Hi,
I was so happy to find this site, i think it's very helpful! :p I was reading a lot here, but i'm a little bit confused about information on Reentry Permits and Travel.

I need to go back to my country (Russia) as soon as possible (visit family, some schooling and to change my passport). I decided not to apply for AP, but wait until my AOS is approved. So, if I am approved at the interview, and i'll have stamp, is it enough to travel, or i need to wait until i get GC and only then apply for Reentry Permit?

My questions are:
1) do i need to apply for Reentry Permit to be allowed to come back to the USA after a 2-5 months visit to Russia? Or Green Card would be definitely enough? (if i keep renting appt in the USA, have joint accounts with my husband, file tax returns, my husband USC will stay in the USA)

2) If i do need RP in my case, can i apply for it as soon as I'm stamped?

3) Can i use RP for several travels during those 2 years? For example - 3 months and 4 months?

4) I've changed my last name in the USA (after marriage) and now i need to change my Russian passport (to change name and it's about to expire) during my visit to Russia. Will there be any problem with GC and Passport, if they stamp it, but i'll change it?

Thank you

SundayE said:
do i need to apply for Reentry Permit to be allowed to come back to the USA after a 2-5 months visit to Russia? Or Green Card would be definitely enough? (if i keep renting appt in the USA, have joint accounts with my husband, file tax returns, my husband USC will stay in the USA)

If you have maintained your US residence, the GC should be enough.

Will there be any problem with GC and Passport, if they stamp it, but i'll change it?

Will you have the old passport available when you return to the US? Can you not get a new passport from a Russian consular office in the US?

I would totally wait for the gc to come

not many places are familiar with the stamp and you could have problems getting back if you go on just the stamp.

if you seriously can't wait then apply for advanced parole
and file the app in person.

nowadays, i learned and read somewhere that they don't easily just stamp passports now. i guess their reasoning is that process takes quicker now so there's no need to stamp passports in lieu of the GC. and it is true that some officers are not familiar with the stamping of passports thus might delay when you come back in the US. i suggest that if you really need to go home before getting your GC, if you received your welcome letter in the mail, make an infopass and bring it with you. they should then stamp your passport. and just to be sure, bring your welcome letter with you when you go home so if they'll give you a hard time at the immigration coming back, you can show both the stamp and welcome letter.

Ok, then i'll definitely wait and travel only with Green Card.

In Russia we have 2 passports - 1 is Russian, 2 is Foreign Passport. I need to change the first one definitely (expired). My Foreign Passport is valid untill 2010 (this one i use in the USA for my paperwork), but i need to change my last name.

Last edited by a moderator:
bb_5555 said:
not many places are familiar with the stamp and you could have problems getting back if you go on just the stamp.

This is untrue. The only reason you get the stamp is so you CAN travel. You will be required to undergo secondary inspection, but that's it.

what I was trying to explain was that there are some ports of entry in some exotic countries that give you a hard time about the stamp. Not because they don't accept it but because the people there are not familiar with it. What ends up happening is that they have to call the local US embassy to make sure the stamp really means "permanent resident". It is a hassle that can be easily avoided by simply waiting for the gc.

Is there any chance i could know if Green Card would definitely allow me to come back to the USA? If i will have documental proof of maintaining USA residence, and my trip is only 2-4 months.. Is there any difference (for safety) if i will apply for reentry permit, or only use Green Card, if my trip is going to be short?

In my family situation i just cannot afford to be denied the entry, that's why i need to know exactly.

SundayE said:
Is there any chance i could know if Green Card would definitely allow me to come back to the USA? If i will have documental proof of maintaining USA residence, and my trip is only 2-4 months.. Is there any difference (for safety) if i will apply for reentry permit, or only use Green Card, if my trip is going to be short?

In my family situation i just cannot afford to be denied the entry, that's why i need to know exactly.

There is never a 100% guarantee with entry into the US --- even on a GC.
But that being said, it is extremely unlikely that you would have any problem re-entering with only your GC after 2-4 months. You really do not need a re-entry permit.