Do I need to apply Eb1-EA?

vandygc

Registered Users (C)
My company which is a fortune 100, applied for my GC in Eb1-OR category. I'm currently R & D engineer. Here are my credentials. I have a PhD in Mechanical Engineering in US, Masters in Aerospace Engineering in US.

I have total of 4 Journal Publications (all top quality), 5 Conference Publications, 1 patent.

I'm reviewer to 4 Journals. I have totally reviewed 16 papers.

I'm nominated and awarded Associate Fellow for an organization which is considered to me very renowned. Member of different organizations (4).

I have eight recommendation letters. One from the US Air Force, 5 from my professors, 2 from people who cited and benefited from my work and 2 from UK.

I was wondering if I need to apply Eb1-EA to be on safe side, in case anything goes wrong with my application.

Please suggest me!!!!!

Regards
VandyGC

Hi!

EB1-EA is necessarily a safe bet in your case...

- Awards are not likely to work
- Not that many papers
- Review process in journals is often seen as part of the normal job of any researcher.

That being said, it could be that you have everything needed to safely claim three criteria. How many citations for your articles? Is your contribution to an important project essential? ....

Aloha,
Chris

Thanks for your opinion. I do have around 50 citations for different papers.

But I currently have one more patent in the process. So I'm not sure if that helps.

My company does not allow to publish any papers, its only patents for the last 3 years. So there would not be any citations on this work. My work is very critical since i'm in the energy industry.

Regards
Vandy GC

50 citations MIGHT work for EB1-EA. It should be pretty solid for EB1-OR. But if you already applied for EB1-OR, why EB1-EA now?

I spoke to couple of attorneys in regards to Eb1-EA. They all told the same that since I applied through my company for Eb1-OR, that I should not worry about EB1-EA. But you never know how USCSIS works.

So I'm still contemplating whether to apply in EB1-EA and Eb2-NIW.

Do not apply twice. It will not be positively seen by USCIS. One of my friend did that and he was given an elaborate RFE despite good credentials.

Quality

Dear Friend,

My view is: You might meet the QUALITY criteria on top of other good credentials. Evidenc is overwhelming. Do a good job to present well.

Nothingwrong in applying for EA as well as OR. Make sure that you meet and/or exceed the threshold for each category.

I agree with you. Two petitions would be a safe bet. One should not have bearing on the other -positive or negative. Good IOs would take objective and holistic view on each case on its merit.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally my lawyer applied.

I finally applied to EB1-OR after careful review by my the lawyers. I recieved the ND as July 30, 2008. I applied concurrent filing.I think its very important to be on the top of everything that the lawyers put in the petition. I had to do most of the stuff in this preparation. I took every effort to detail the various RFE that were involved with the other candidates. I hope its going to be smooth sailing. I thought my lawyer applied in May, but he was making so many changes and taking care of my application that he finally applied in July.

Here are my credentials

I'm currently R & D engineer. I have a PhD in Mechanical Engineering in US, Masters in Aerospace Engineering in US.

I have total of 4 Journal Publications (all top quality), 5 Conference Publications, 1 patent (Pending).

I'm reviewer to 4 Journals. I have totally reviewed 16 papers.

(Addition - I 'm currently a Session organizer for 2 conferences).

I'm nominated and awarded Associate Fellow for an organization which is considered to me very renowned and Senior Member of IEEE. Member of different organizations (4).

I have eight recommendation letters. One from the US Air Force, 5 from my professors, 2 from people who cited and benefited from my work and 2 from UK (Independent).

Please let me know what kind of RFE can I expect !!!!! Just to be prepared on safe side!!!!

Regards
VandyGC

Last edited by a moderator:
My crendetials are similar to yours and I got approved w/o RFE from NSC very recently, even though my company attorney thought my case would not be very strong, they wanted a 100% sure short. I think your credentials are sufficient for EB1-OR, if the attorney argues the case well, you are fine. The difference I see that I had IEEE conference paper awards that you do not have. However you have great citations that I did not have. In that sence, your credentials are very similar to mine. Because we do not publish our reseach work, my attroney was a little bit skeptical about the requirement of the 'research nature of the job', however USCIS did not issue any RFE.

Wish you a good luck,

NSC, EB1-OR: I-140: RD: 11/14/2007, AD:08/12/2008