Do I need letter from Selective Service?

bhartiya_12

Registered Users (C)
I came to the US when I was 29 on a non-immigrant visa. I got my GC about 5 yrs back and now I have my interview next month for naturalization.

Do I need to get a letter from Selective service saying that I am not required to enroll in selective service? I understand that I did not have to enroll but is a letter from selective service required for the interview?

Thanks

I came to the US when I was 29 on a non-immigrant visa. I got my GC about 5 yrs back and now I have my interview next month for naturalization.

Do I need to get a letter from Selective service saying that I am not required to enroll in selective service? I understand that I did not have to enroll but is a letter from selective service required for the interview?

Thanks

Most IOs should be able to figure out that you weren't required to register. However, in case you get an IO who is a complete idiot (which is quite possible), I'd suggest getting the status letter from SSS.

How long does it take to get a letter from SS? I tried calling their office in IL many many times during different hours but I always get please try your call later as the lines are busy.

I have my interview in 1st week of Feb and I don't know if they can give a letter before that.

On the SS website there is a 'Request for Status Information Letter' which says they will respond within 4-6 weeks.

I don't think you need a letter from Selective Service. Just make sure you know your exact time line (with dates if possible) on when you entered the country, on what visa, when you got your GC, etc.

How long does it take to get a letter from SS? .........
On the SS website there is a 'Request for Status Information Letter' which says they will respond within 4-6 weeks.

My request for a letter is more than 8 weeks old. I have not heard back from SS.

My request for a letter is more than 8 weeks old. I have not heard back from SS.

I applied for this letter (didn't want to take any chances with the USCIS - they are inconsistent with this) in early Feb 2008 and received the status letter about 2.5 weeks later. It was a breeze, thankfully, for me, but other people have had other kinds of experiences.

I did send the SS administration loads of paperwork to prove my case (it was straight with no deviations in status, all the while on F-1 and H-1B visas, getting green card at the age of 35). It took me about a couple of weeks to gather all old I-20s, transcripts from schools etc (had to call my old schools and degree programs to get this info). It was painful but doable.

And as luck would have it, the IO did ask me at the interview about the SS status letter (despite my telling her that I got green card at 35 years, and that I was never out of status while I was here between 18 and 26 years or age). But she was insistent so I produced a copy of the said letter for her. Thankfully, I had it on me.

All depends on the IO interviewing you I guess.

AP

And as luck would have it, the IO did ask me at the interview about the SS status letter (despite my telling her that I got green card at 35 years, and that I was never out of status while I was here between 18 and 26 years or age). But she was insistent so I produced a copy of the said letter for her. Thankfully, I had it on me.

All depends on the IO interviewing you I guess.

AP

That's exactly why I think it's important to get a status letter, regardless of whether or not the applicant had to register. In your case, you were already over the age of 31, so the IO shouldn't have asked you for a status letter to begin with. Even if you were supposed to register, but failed to do so, your age put you well outside of the good moral character window. This just goes to show you how inconsistent their practices are.

I am very nervous now. I did not think I would need a letter so did not get it until now and now I have my interview in 1st week of Feb.

I am sending my papers for a SS status letter but I am not hopeful of getting the letter before my interview date.

I plan to take copy of my request for SS status letter for the interview and show that I have asked for the letter but have not received it yet, of course in case if this comes up.

Can anyone else think of any other way to convince the IO?

I am very nervous now. I did not think I would need a letter so did not get it until now and now I have my interview in 1st week of Feb.

I am sending my papers for a SS status letter but I am not hopeful of getting the letter before my interview date.

I plan to take copy of my request for SS status letter for the interview and show that I have asked for the letter but have not received it yet, of course in case if this comes up.

In most cases the IO is satisfied with the answer that you got your green card was obtained at an age > 31. If this is the case with you, then most likely there would be no problem. If not, then you would be better of compiling documents showing you maintained non-immigrant status throughout your stay in the US between the ages of 18 and 26 (if that applies to you).

I don't expect this to create a problem for you. Hope for the best.

AP

I requested my SS letter a month ago. No reply yet. What if you applied to SS but they dont respond back?

you can get the ss status online by entering your social sec. number, and print it out.
just google selective services and find the website.

I first came to the US when I was 29.
Then just say that if they ask about the Selective Service, and firmly repeat the same if they keep asking. Ask for the supervisor if necessary. If they ask for something unnecessary, you don't have to cave in; they will sometimes back down if you are in the right and you stand your ground. Don't be afraid to assert yourself; naturalization is not like applying for a tourist visa where they can reject you for almost any random reason.

I was in the same situation. It took SS about 9 weeks to provide me with the letter.
They are very fast if you regestered with them if you have not then 6-9 weeks is waht you have to wait.

As far as N-400 interview , I was asked by the IO and I was able to explain that I did not needed to apply for SS and he seemed to know the rules so no issues.

vik_b

I am just a layman not a lawyer. Pleas use my comments at your risk.

PD 7/29/08
FP 8/23/08
IL 10/15/08
ID 11/20/08
OD 11/20/08