Do I have to quit while waiting for EAD

zima2004

Registered Users (C)
My EAD is going to be expired this week, and my application for the interim EAD was denied since it is still within 90 days from the receipt date of my renewal application.

I don't know what to do now, sicne I have 3 options:

1, quit the job, since company can not keep a people without EAD

2, take non-paid vacation

3, continue towork with the old EAD and renewal receipt

Can anybody give me some suggestions? I am so crazy now.

Thanks

Zima,
I am in the same situation as you are...except that mine expires in two weeks. I don't see my EAD renewal coming within that time. Applied on Jan 10th.
Am planning to visit the ASC office and try some histrionics to get a iEAD!
Do keep us posted on any solution that you can find.
Good luck.

Legally there is no other option than to terminate your employment.So quitting is the best option .Talk to your HR and see if you can join the company once you get the renewal approved or an interim EAD.
Iam in the same situation and Iam quitting tomorrow.

We may not have to quit

Thank everyody.

But I found on the I-9 form, instruction section 2, my intepreation is if we can show the employer the renewal receipt within 3 days to the expiration date, and show them 90 days within the experition date, we are OK to work, it depends on the employer.

we are getting the EAD/interim EAD for sure within about 30 days from now, and it might be valid from the experation date, so why quit?

I read from other posts that it does depend on the employer, but it would be best to consult with an attorney.

I also read quite some people got their IEAD within 90 days of the receipt. In those cases, they told the officer that if they don't get IEAD they will lose their employment. Most cases the officer asked for prove (letter from HR) and in some cases they granted the IEAD.

If your out-of-EAD days are less than 180 days, you can file for 245i.
So times it is more economical than losing the job.

armie said:
If your out-of-EAD days are less than 180 days, you can file for 245i.
So times it is more economical than losing the job.
245k or 245i? Wish you could understand the difference between them.

3EAD Application Transfered from VSC to Atlanta

3EAD Application Transfered from VSC to Atlanta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I paper filed my 3EAD to VSC.
I got the following email 3 times on 2/9. It says my EAD Application transfered from VSC to Atlanta.

Why are they transfering to local office?
Why after 40+ days?
Please share your experiences/thoughts.

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The following is the latest information on your case status

Receipt Number: EAC0606451XXX

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Current Status:

On February 9, 2006, we transferred your I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT
AUTHORIZATION to an office in ATLANTA, GA for processing. Our office in ATLANTA,
GA will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You
should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a
local office. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283
to receive information about local office processing times.

Last edited by a moderator:
compiler said:
245k or 245i? Wish you could understand the difference between them.

245k. Unless you have a priority date before 4/30/01, you are ineligible for 245i. 245i also has a $1,000 penalty fee, whereas 245k does not.

Real Canadian, please advise

Real Canadian,
Can you please tell more about 245i and 245k. I want to find if that can benefit me. My priority date is Oct-03.
--
My EAD expired yesterday and I could not get interim today.
90 days will be on 14th-Nov.
--
My boss does not want to give letter to state they will terminate if i don't have EAD.
I have told my boss that i'll stay home on vacation untill i get interim card. Is this legal?
--
My HR/Legal are not yet aware of this.
--
What options do i have.
--
Thanks in advance.

PD OCT-03
I140 AD MAR-04
I765 RD=14-NOV-05 (Renewal EAD)

TheRealCanadian said:
245k. Unless you have a priority date before 4/30/01, you are ineligible for 245i. 245i also has a $1,000 penalty fee, whereas 245k does not.

Endless_Wait said:
Real Canadian,
Can you please tell more about 245i and 245k. I want to find if that can benefit me. My priority date is Oct-03.
--
My EAD expired yesterday and I could not get interim today.
90 days will be on 14th-Nov.
--
My boss does not want to give letter to state they will terminate if i don't have EAD.
I have told my boss that i'll stay home on vacation untill i get interim card. Is this legal?
--
My HR/Legal are not yet aware of this.
--
What options do i have.
--
Thanks in advance.

PD OCT-03
I140 AD MAR-04
I765 RD=14-NOV-05 (Renewal EAD)

I think RealCanadian is saying that your PD has to be before April 01 to be eligible for 245.

useful info for 245k

http://www.murthy.com/adjsta.html

I also searched Murthy's chats for "245(k)" and found these.

Question: What would happen if a person works after the EAD is expired?

Answer: A person is deemed to be working without valid authorization in the U.S. after the expiration date on the EAD. As long as the total time of working or remaining in the U.S. out of status or working without valid authorization does not exceed an aggregate total of 180 days (since the last entry to the U.S.), one is likely eligible to file the I-485 approval and possibly obtain an approval under Section 245(k) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Otherwise, the individual risks obtaining an I-485 denial for unauthorized employment beyond 180 days. Jan-9-2006.

Question: If in the past I have been out of H1B status for 6 months (I-94 not expired), is this going to hurt my GC (or any new petitions to change / extend / adjust status)?

Answer: A person who fails to maintain status for over 180 days may have a problem obtaining the approval of the I-485, which allows a maximum of 180 days for one to be out of status under Section 245(k) of the INA, unless the person is covered under 245(i) of the INA. Sometimes, though, the fault of the employer in not paying the salary while the person is considered an employee may not pose a problem but at other times it may pose a problem. Not having pay stubs will certainly adversely impact the ability to obtain an extension or change of status from the USCIS. Jun-20-2005.

Question: Hi. Is the W-2 a required document for I-485 or I-140? I do not have the W-2 for one year as I was not paid by my employer and was on personal leave. Please advise.

Answer: Generally, the W-2 is not required for the I-485 filing or, often, even for its approval, but it may be required to establish that a person was in valid legal status in the U.S. In an employment-based (EB) case, a person is required to show that s/he was in valid legal status the entire time, except for a maximum time of up to 180 days, as available under Section 245(k) of the INA. So the W-2 may not be required, but if one is called for an interview, the examiner may ask for evidence of the W-2s and other evidence of having maintained status in the U.S. even though it is not always required. Jun-13-2005.

Question: If you work when your H1B has expired and your EAD application has not been approved yet, how does that affect things? Essentially, for me, it was 20 days between H1B expiry and EAD approval. What is the 180-day rule I keep hearing about?

Answer: If a person worked for 20 days without any USCIS or Department of Labor authorization, then that person is not prevented from, or in other words, is allowed to file and obtain an adjustment-of-status approval, as long as s/he did not live or work without authorization for over 180 days. This is allowed under Section 245(k) of the Immigration and Nationality Act for employment-based applicants. It is likely that the 20 days will not be an issue in obtaining the GC approval. Jan-31-2005.

Question: Congratulations on receiving the prestigious AV Rating! Just one small question. I received an H1B extension approval and I-94 with a 13-day gap between the old one and the extension notice. What will be the implications in stamping and the GC?

Answer: Thank you for your kind congratulations! There should be no implications in the gap in dates. I do not understand why the USCIS has started approving cases with a gap in dates when a person has filed the papers prior to the expiration of the prior status. Hopefully, this fact can be explained by submitting both the approval notice and the USCIS-issued receipt notice to show the date of filing as being while maintaining the prior status. Anyway, worst case scenario, even if the gap is somehow construed as a problem, the bottom line is that one is still able to file the I-485 and get the GC stamping in the PP as long as any gap in legal status does not exceed 180 days or just under 6 months under Section 245(k) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Jul-19-2004.

Question: Why does the USCIS request pay stubs? Is it to verify the salary or to check continuity of employment? The USCIS asked for six months of pay stubs, but I have only five.

Answer: This depends on the purpose of the RFE filing. For a GC case it is different, since under 245(k) a person may only be out of status for up to 180 days. On the other hand, for an H1B the purpose of the RFE is to ensure that the person is maintaining valid legal status. Sending in the 5 months of pay stubs may be sufficient since the USCIS may determine if they will approve the case with the information provided. Generally, it would seem to satisfy most of the evidence in such a case, though there is no guarantee that the USCIS may not deny the case or issue another RFE. Jan-12-2004.

Question: H1B visa and I-94 expire on a later date than 6 year H1B period. With I-140 already approved, does one have to file for a 7th year extension?

Answer: By law, the CIS cannot grant a person status or additional time beyond that allowed under law. If the time that one may be out of status is less than 180 days, then s/he may be able to take advantage of 245(k) and argue eligibility for the I-485 to be approved. If the I-140 has been approved, then by filing the I-485, one is able to be "in a period of stay authorized by the Attorney General." Although this may help generally, it is difficult to give or rely on any legal advice in a situation like this without understanding the nuances of this issue and the potential risks. Also, maybe one could apply for the H1B extension, in case the I-485 is denied for any reason, but it could result in other problems if the CIS reviews the case carefully now. Oct-13-2003.

Question: Thanks, Ms. Murthy, for your great service. Can one reapply for I-485 or appeal if the I-485 is rejected, without having to leave the country (USA)?

Answer: One may both reapply and also possibly file a new case if one believes the INS denial was in error. If the gap since the denial and the new filing is less than 180 days total of ever being out of status, the person on an employment based case is legally able to obtain an I-485 approval without concern of the 3-year or 10-year bars under Section 245(k) of the INA. Jan-6-2003.

TheRealCanadian said:
You helped him to post it correctly. Why didn't you talk a little more about the 245(k) but 245(i)? He does not need the 245(i) but 245(k).

1moreday said:
http://www.murthy.com/adjsta.html

I also searched Murthy's chats for "245(k)" and found these.

Question: What would happen if a person works after the EAD is expired?

Answer: A person is deemed to be working without valid authorization in the U.S. after the expiration date on the EAD. As long as the total time of working or remaining in the U.S. out of status or working without valid authorization does not exceed an aggregate total of 180 days (since the last entry to the U.S.), one is likely eligible to file the I-485 approval and possibly obtain an approval under Section 245(k) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Otherwise, the individual risks obtaining an I-485 denial for unauthorized employment beyond 180 days. Jan-9-2006.

I am not clear what exactly murthy said if the EAD is expired ?
Are we suppose to file for 245 (k)?
"one is likely eligible to file the I-485 approval " means we have to file
I-485 for ?

Endless_Wait said:
Real Canadian,

That means you are not eligible for 245i. Don't worry.

My EAD expired yesterday and I could not get interim today. 90 days will be on 14th-Nov.

I assume you mean February 14th?

My boss does not want to give letter to state they will terminate if i don't have EAD. I have told my boss that i'll stay home on vacation untill i get interim card. Is this legal?

You can stay home on vacation, or you can conveniently forget that your EAD has expired, and continue working. If your 90 days are up on the 14th then schedule an Infopass appointment at your local office.

245k means that USCIS is not allowed to deny your I-485 based on the fact that you worked for a few days between valid EADs. You don't need to claim anything, and 99% of the time USCIS is smart enough to recognize 245k cases and doesn't raise a fuss.

Thanks RealCanadian.

Thank you RealCanadian .
--
I was relaxed and in the mood to spend few days of vacation but then on this forum i saw somebody comments to not take any chance and have some documentation stating that i was not paid for these dates, et all. I got scared, went to my office and asked my boss to give me a letter stating that "I will not be able be able to work without proper employment authorization". Took this letter to USCIS office and got iEAD.
--
I am back home and will relax for the rest of the day and week end.
--
Thanks for the information you gave. I really appreciate it.

TheRealCanadian said:
That means you are not eligible for 245i. Don't worry.

I assume you mean February 14th?

You can stay home on vacation, or you can conveniently forget that your EAD has expired, and continue working. If your 90 days are up on the 14th then schedule an Infopass appointment at your local office.

245k means that USCIS is not allowed to deny your I-485 based on the fact that you worked for a few days between valid EADs. You don't need to claim anything, and 99% of the time USCIS is smart enough to recognize 245k cases and doesn't raise a fuss.