Do I have option to choose different eligibility for citizenship if my green card is via marriage?

juliegoten

Registered Users (C)
I have a green card for 8+ years. I got it after I married to a US citizen, then had a kid. I didn't rush to apply for citizenship after 3 years of green card. Now I am ready to get my citizenship.

But my question is whether I should choose option 1: "I have been a lawful permanent resident of the US for at least five years" or option 2: " I have been a lawful permanent resident of the US for at least three years, and I have been married to and living with the same US citizen for last 3 years..."?

Option 1: "I have been a lawful permanent resident of the US for at least five years", it seems to require less document and hassles.

Do I have to choose option 2 if I got my green card via marriage? Or I choose option 1 because I have been a lawful permanent resident of the US for 8+ years?

Anyone can help to clarify this question?

Thanks for help!

You are eligible based on 5-year residency, as well. In fact, I would suggest that you go with the 5-year residency option since it requires less documents and is a smoother interview process.

You are eligible based on 5-year residency, as well. In fact, I would suggest that you go with the 5-year residency option since it requires less documents and is a smoother interview process.

Thanks for answer. That's very helpful.

I am self employed. If I go for option of 5-year residency, approval of citizenship won't depend how much money I make or how stable my job is?