divorce before 2yrs.

shinkansen

Registered Users (C)
wondering if anyone on here has successfully divorced their spouse after getting the cond. perm. residency, but before the 2yr's are up. i won't go into explaining my situation, but would like to hear from anyone that's done this and still managed to remain in the US / remove conditions without their spouse getting involved.

It won't be easy...

...from what I know from a friend who did exactly the same thing. There has to be a very real and valid reason to do divorce your US spouse before receiving permanent GC.

Valid reasons may include spousal/domestic abuse, or usually death (which does not seem to guarantee a GC even after such an event). In most such cases, USCIS finds it easy to reject perm GC because the basis on which it was applied for (original marriage) is no longer valid.

I must remind you that marriage-based GC's are very closely scrutinised and it's not easy to receive your conditional GC and then quit the marriage.

It is best to hire a lawyer to represent your case.

wondering if anyone on here has successfully divorced their spouse
I don't think you will face any problems with divorce.

after getting the cond. perm. residency, but before the 2yr's are up
Now this will be a problem. Since your permanent residency based on marriage to a US citizen for less than two years, why should you think that you are entitled for continued permanent resident status?

A person who immigrates to the U.S. based on a marriage that is less than two years old at the time of his/her admission will receive conditional permanent residence. The conditional permanent residence status lasts for two years. To attain full permanent resident status, the conditional resident must file a petition with the USCIS prior to the second anniversary of his admission as an immigrant.

Check the rest here for divorce and immigration related issues:
http://www.divorcenet.com/states/ne...ted_immigration_issues_of_an_immigrant_spouse

Hi,
i got married year and a half ago and my green card is about to expire .I know that i have to file to remove conditional green card(90 days before).Can anyone please tell me what papers and forms i have to submmitt to ins and should i include our pictures.Thank you.
Are you facing a divorce in the near future? If not, this thread is not really applicable to you, and you should be able to find your answer by searching the Family Based Green Cards section: http://boards.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Last edited by a moderator: