Divorce and spousal alien status question - thanks

JC Penny

Registered Users (C)
My spouse is on an H4 - I am on H1. We are set to be divorced in a few weeks, but she did get her EAD (Good till July 2002) which I had applied for prior to divorce as part of overall adjustment of status process (I-485).

Her I-485 application has now also been cancelled (but she got her EAD prior to cancellation of I-485)

1. Is the EAD any good given that I-485 has been denied?
2. At what point does she become an illegal alien? Is she allready illegal given that the I-485 has been denied, or after the divorce when her H4 may not be valid either?

Thanks for you help

You will repend in your Life!!!!!!!

YOU WILL REPEND FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING NOW IN YOUR LIFE.
TAKE MY WORD AND SET THINGS BACK TO NORMAL.

Divorce

1. The EAD becomes invalid when the I-485 is withdrawn.
2. Your spouse is still in H-4 status until the divorce becomes final. Once the divorce is final, the spouse is out of status.

things normal

If he already cancelled the I-485 menas that the things won\'t be normal. If he is not happy with his spouse, then he don\'t have to stick with her for entire life and be sad. If the problem is related to dowry or ego or something like that, then I also advice him to think twice before taking drastic steps. Because dowry is one satanic act which should never got into our blood of society in India (assuming that the person divorcing is from India).

Any how think twice JCPenny!

well, guess wot!

Hey, if your 485 is approved while she is still ur wife, u stand 2 lose it cos u lied on ur petition. if u divorce her in this country, she can (and IMO should) take u 2 the cleaners by screwing u 4 every penny ur worth in divorce court and alimony !

a question for JC Penny

What\'s the procedure to cancel the ex-spouse\'s I-485?

Thank you.

No principal applicant wants a divorce particularly in U.S otherwise why applied I-485 for her in the first place?

Hey Angry man

Looks like you are more concerned about her status than yours. Divorce is ok. But what made you cancel her 485 processing? Do you know that she can squeeze you of all your money if you divorce her here? But you know what? She will not do it because I am sure thats where the difference between you and her is.

If I were you JC Penny..

If I were you JCPenny, I will try to get her a job, and convert her status to H1 from H4. At least that will make you feel happy forever in your life. Or send her resume to me and I will try some job for her, and rest depends on her luck. But man, don\'t let her go out of status and then she jas to face all relatives and stupid people in her home country (whichever it is), and everybody blames her for the divorce, even though two hands make noise, not single hand. Think KCP. Be a good man, even she is not. God makes you more happeir in your life. God bless you!!!

No Title

Everybody here blaming & advising JC Penny? Who knows the facts? May be the girl after coming from a third world country became a first world girl? Or may be her aim was just to use JC penny to come to this country? But If this is not the case then JC Penny should think 10 times again before divorcing.

just a letter

Just you have to send a 485 receipt copy of yours, your ex\'s and a letter expalining that you got divorce and you do not want her to be part of your dependent application procedure, thats all. If you have divorce papers, send the copies also. Why did you divorce, may I ask? Good luck.

Which P.O.Box to send?

There are 2 P.O.Boxes of NSC, one is
87485 for I-485 additional info,
the other is general correspondence P.O.Box,
which one should I use to send divorce certificate?

I\'d really appreciate if you or somebody else could
have an answer.

Thanks for your sane reply

Thanks. The reasons for divorce our my personal matter. Suffice it to say that I do not feel that a person with whom I am having such a bitter divorce DESERVES the Green Card that took me 10 years to get to! It is wrong for someone to have a nasty relationship and an even nastier divorce with me AND EXPECT the Green Card because she was married to me. BTW, she is taking me to the cleaners, Green Card or no Green Card.

No Title

I simply had my lawyer write to the INS center in general and the officer concerned got what he needed to get the job done.

No Title

The reasons for divorce our my personal matter. Suffice it to say that I do not feel that a person with whom I am having such a bitter divorce DESERVES the Green Card that took me 10 years to get to! It is wrong for someone to have a nasty relationship and an even nastier divorce with me AND EXPECT the Green Card because she was married to me. BTW, she is taking me to the cleaners, Green Card or no Green Card.

Thanks - one more question...

Would her GC/I-485 been cancelled anyhow after the divorce even if I had NOT asked the INS do withdraw the I-485? Or could she have gotten her Green card even though we were divorced BEFORE they issued her the Green Card?

Thanks.