Divorce and L2 based Green card

tail_end

Registered Users (C)
I have an L2 based GC (as of Jan 2008). If my husband and I are to go through a divorce, is my GC open to being revoked?

Some additional background: I was in US on F1 for 3 years, H1 for 2 plus and then my husband moved here on an L1 (on H4 for few months).

Any advise would be appreciated.

So there is no waiting period or conditional clause? What about questioning - that we waited for the i-485 to be approved before filing for divorce?

if the only reason you stayed married was to get YOUR immigration benefits - yes, you could be in trouble. If you stayed married for the sake of marriage and just happened to get your GC in the meanwhile - you are OK.

There is no conditional clause or time period.

Initially, we were in the marrige for marrige sake but towards to end, we were almost just waiting for I-485 to come through.

Thanks

Since this was an employment based GC and you were a dependent of the beneficiary, I really do not see USCIS going after you. Just be prepared to answer this question if (and when) you apply for US citizenship.

What about questioning - that we waited for the i-485 to be approved before filing for divorce?

If you married very shortly before the GC approval, and then get divorced shortly afterwards, that could raise suspicion. But I get the impression you were already married for a couple of years before your GC was approved. Am I correct?

We've been married 4 plus years now. I was on H1B and my husband visited on H4. First year of marrige we were in separate countries. Second year, he moved here on L1A, I still stayed on H1. I moved to L2 in third year and we applied for GC.

Thank you for all the information.