DIRECT REPORTS - TN

I can list some websites if you like, or you can look some up yourself. Point is, our poster asked HR for some proof of current employment, so for whatever reason, he was concerned, I was merely suggesting some alternatives other than getting HR involved.
I don't doubt websites list this as a recommendation, but lots of websites list lots of baseless concerns. A website author doesn't gain reputation or generate business if they don't purport to have cautionary wisdom. "thank goodness you asked us for advice, you almost made this big mistake!"

It seems no one has first-hand knowledge of border officers actually making this request of a TN permit holder. That's why I think it's an urban myth.

@grant2
Even in the past for people travelling it is recommended to keep an employment letter of ongoing employment. This for sure has been an issue for me when I was on H1, and even for some of my colleagues who are currently on TN. There is no rumor about this, it happens to many people.

H1 visas are not TN visas though; the re-entry requirements are obviously much different.

When you say it was an "issue" for colleagues with a TN visa, what exactly was the "issue"? Were they refused re-entry to the USA because they could not produce proof of current employment with the permitted employer?

If so, why did your colleagues not ask the border officer to look up their employer's contact information on the internet, and call their manager or HR department to confirm the employment status?
Why did they not log into their online HR system or online banking on their cell phone browser to show that they are indeed getting regular payment deposits?

CBP officer is not going to do that grant, even at secondary inspection, he will simply ask that they get proof.
And H1 is not that different from TN: both require current employment/sponsorship in order to gain entry on what is a multiple entry I-94 which can be valid for years. If an offcoer suspects that the TNer or H1 is no longer fulfilling the requirements of his status, he can certainly ask for proof.

i can give first hand experience that I have never been asked for proof of ongoing employment when entering on TN (for 2.5 years) and on H1B (currently). I have gone through pre-clearance at YYZ Toronto, YOW Ottawa, and through customs at LAX after arriving from overseas. I was even asked to go to secondary inspection when driving from Mexico into California, but they never asked for paystubs or company id card or letter from HR. Is it an urban myth or not, i do no know. but I agree with Nelson , that they certainly have the right to ask for proof if they suspect you are no longer working for your employer/sponsor.