DIRECT REPORTS - TN

Kale7334

Hey Nelsona, I am currently on TN in WA. Family on TD. We all drove to Canada and driving back tomorrow in our car .

I requested an employment letter from HR and they mentioned that I have 20 reports, which is true. Just browsing through the forums somewhere someone had written that having direct reports is not approved under TN since I am an engineer (job title is quality manager) I haven't read it on any official documents that this is true, but just wondered if it could be experienced before. This is not a renewal, so they might not dig but this just created some nervous moments today.

Any advice or suggestions from your experience would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Kale

You don't need a letter form HR to re-enter US on TN. You could carry your badge, or a paystub.

That letter with its managerial title and role description could get you in trouble. keep that in mind at renewal time. You may wish to be trying to get H1-B in the meantime.

If you already have an I-94 you should have no problems, print it off the website and keep it in your passport. But recently one of my colleagues came through Washington, had some problems. Blaine is very straightforward, this is what I heard, Sumas may not be that smooth.

You don't need a letter form HR to re-enter US on TN. You could carry your badge, or a paystub.

That letter with its managerial title and role description could get you in trouble. keep that in mind at renewal time. You may wish to be trying to get H1-B in the meantime.

Alright, so I might just push the original letter when I applied for my first TN with this company and if they ask I can show a bank transaction over the phone? I somehow didn't think of a paystub but fantastic idea for the next trip. We are at Eastport Idaho actually. Will let you known in about 3 hours how it went!

What would these be for?
In case the admitting officer is skeptical that the employment is still ongoing?

I have never been asked for any documentation when re-entering the USA on a previously granted TN

Agreed, but for the feint of heart who ask HR for a lousy letter, this is a more plausible solution.

Haha, I know.. But well, I just don't know what would be asked as evidence. Usually HR letter works.. Anyway, a huge snow storm and multiple accidents.. So haven't crossed yet.

If you already have an I-94 you should have no problems, print it off the website and keep it in your passport. But recently one of my colleagues came through Washington, had some problems. Blaine is very straightforward, this is what I heard, Sumas may not be that smooth.
Yes, I 94s are attached to the PP. Will let you folks know tomorrow..

What would these be for?
In case the admitting officer is skeptical that the employment is still ongoing?

I have never been asked for any documentation when re-entering the USA on a previously granted TN
I was never asked before either.. I guess I am a little skeptical with the new rules... And the treatment at the border.. Et. Al.. ....

Are you seriously naming officers at the border?!

no, not officers names, Port of Entry names, Blaine, Washington and Sumas, Washington.
in my opinion the POE location should not matter. the CBP officers at all POEs should treat all applications equally. it is the strength of the application not the location or particular CBP officer.
if you feel a particular CBP officer is not treating your fairly, you can ask to speak to a supervisor.

I was never asked before either.. I guess I am a little skeptical with the new rules... And the treatment at the border.. Et. Al.. ....
Yes, TN applications may be tougher thanks to recent directives coming from higher in government
But there's no change for TN admissions once the I-94 is granted.

Unless we get reports from TN permit holders telling us they were denied because they couldn't prove they still hold the employment they were approved for, this idea seems like a baseless worry.

The longer into the TN validity period the greater -- albeit small -- that the TNer will be asked. H1's are indeed asked.
Many websites have for years suggest carrying an employment letter or pay stub as proof of current status eligibility -- and it has nothing to do with the supposed new toughness, whatever that is. I used my badge.

Many websites have for years suggest carrying an employment letter or pay stub as proof of current status eligibility
Sounds like a typical rumour, where people repeat cautious advice to frequently they start to believe repetition = verification.

I am skeptical because my lawyer's office is right on the border; he visits the POE a few times a day; and his business has MANY TN permit holders. Of the many, many, many cautions he's ever given me, never once did he mention that any of his clients were ever asked to produce proof that their employment was still ongoing.

Were you ever asked to produce such proof when entering USA?

I can list some websites if you like, or you can look some up yourself. Point is, our poster asked HR for some proof of current employment, so for whatever reason, he was concerned, I was merely suggesting some alternatives other than getting HR involved.

Each time I changed the company and crossed the border and came back, the previous company had not reported to the immi folk that I no longer work for them. I had to tell them that. .. I wonder how many illegal TN people are out there if the current employment isn't checked? When I asked this question, I just remembered early days of this administration and the bans and all that..wasn't sure what's new these days..didn't mean to confuse anyone ..it was just a preventive action if someone at the border really questions current conditions vs when TN was issued.

I appreciate all the help from you guys.

@grant2
Even in the past for people travelling it is recommended to keep an employment letter of ongoing employment. This for sure has been an issue for me when I was on H1, and even for some of my colleagues who are currently on TN. There is no rumor about this, it happens to many people.