Dilemma, pls help!

vik30000

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have a child born in Nov 2010 in the US. Both of us are indian parents on green card. We are planning to move to india in a few years. What is our best course of action for our child, considering the child will be educated in india.

1. Apply for indian birth certificate?

2. Apply for indian passport?

3. Apply for US passport?

We may travel occasionally to US after moving to india. I am thinking to apply for all, so atleast in the next few yrs, child can travel to US on US passport and when in india, can atleast use indian birth cert to get admission?

Gurus pls guide or anyone who has done this before pls help!

Thanks in advance!

Usually birth certificate will be issued by the local state Human Resources Dept. So I don't know whether you can get an Indian Birth Certificate. Since you (parents) are Indian Citizen, you can apply to Indian Embassy or Consulate for Indian Passport for your kid. If you get the Indian Passport for the kid, then you cannot apply for US passport. Even though you can still apply for US Passport, it is not legal to carry two passports for kids (Indian and US) as per Indian law.
If you think that your kid needs to come to US for future studies, it is better to apply for US passport and PIO card for the kid.
If you (parents) apply for US Citizenship, then you can apply for OCI for you and your kid. If you go back to India with US Citizenship and OCI, and if you change your mind to stay back forever and want your Indian Citizenship back, all you have to do is to stay in India for 5 years with OCI status and apply for Indian Citizenship again. The same thing is true for your kid where he/she can get the Indian Citizenship after staying in India for 5 years (in case if your kid wants to write UPSC [IAS/IPS] or want to join politics).
I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply speaking you are trying to get the best of both worlds and that will not work, you have to pick one option. IMO go for the US Passport option.

Right now you should apply for US passport for child. You have the option in next 20 years to decide what is for good for your child.

Hi,

I have a child born in Nov 2010 in the US. Both of us are indian parents on green card. We are planning to move to india in a few years. What is our best course of action for our child, considering the child will be educated in india.

1. Apply for indian birth certificate?

2. Apply for indian passport?

3. Apply for US passport?

We may travel occasionally to US after moving to india. I am thinking to apply for all, so atleast in the next few yrs, child can travel to US on US passport and when in india, can atleast use indian birth cert to get admission?

Gurus pls guide or anyone who has done this before pls help!

Thanks in advance!

Better to apply US passport for child then apply PIO Card for child.

I have heard of some people complaining that education in india (especially higher education) costs more for NRI children born in the US who have US citizenship. Some people have taken indian passport for kid(can be done from Indian consulate, if you have not yet applied for US passport). These people say that after 18 years (within 6 mos) child can go to US consulate and apply for US passport. In fact kid can apply for US passport anytime. But once US passport is got, he has to surrender Indian passport. So you can get indian passport but once he goes out of the US he cant come back in without getting US passport.

I am not sure of the legality of this.. but i have heard this is possible on various sites...google R2I forum .. you might find some info there... FYI... i have a kid born here, and i have gotten US passport (me and wife have also taken citizenship) and OCI..

One more thing once child gets US citizenship, he cannot get back indian citizenship until he is 18. India will give citizenship to minor OCI after 5 years (1 year in india), but US doesnt allow parents to renounce US citizenship for minors, and to get indian citizenship, US citizenship will have to be unfortunately renounced. So he can only do so when he is 18.

I dont know if this is a legal fact .. just something i have read on forums.. so please research before you make any decision.
But like somebody mentioned ... US citizenship is a great honor and advantage, so research before you make any decision.

Last edited by a moderator: