Different I-94 dates for mother and father

creativeum

Hello,

My mother got 3 months and father got 6 months on I-94 when they entered US in Sep. They both have 10-year multiple entry visa.

I am planning to E-file an extension for my mother's B2 so that they both can stay here and go back home together. Will that be a problem for their next visit. This is their first visit. Thanks so much for your help.

Umesh

You may take your mother to deferred inspection office at the airport and explain the situation. I read in an another forum of the similar incident and the lady was also given the same duration of her husband. Good Luck.

I would advise you not to file an extension on a restricted I-94. Who knows, CBP/ICE may be testing your folks to see what they do. Think long term.

I am planning to E-file an extension for my mother's B2 so that they both can stay here and go back home together. Will that be a problem for their next visit. This is their first visit. Thanks so much for your help.

No harm in trying with deffered inspection office at the airport and explaining the situation by showing both I 94 as suggested by me.
But, as suggested by Triple Citizen, please do not extend her stay, if her I 94 is not re validated.

Hi ramabalaji, Triple Citizen,

Thanks for your responses. I was able to get the I-94 corrected at the local office. The problem I have now is that I E-Filed for extension the night before I got it corrected. Since additional 3 months was all we wanted, I now would like to withdraw the I-539 extension. Although I E-filed the extension, I have not sent any documents yet. I will soon be sending a cancellation request in writing.

Will there be complications in this case at this point of time?

Thanks again for your time!!

What was the urgency that you could not have waited 24 hours???
Is there a way for you to stop payment through your CC company?

The problem I have now is that I E-Filed for extension the night before I got it corrected. Since additional 3 months was all we wanted, I now would like to withdraw the I-539 extension.

Well, I read for few hours about the extensions and figured out that there's no way out. I was short on time . So E-filed the extension same day. Then continued reading more and more through the night, browsing many sites and messages and then in the morning, came across just one message that talked about getting it corrected. The replies here also told me the same.

I wouldn't go into canceling the transaction because whether I withdraw the application or not, I still used the online service, so I gotta pay the fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, you should not apply for an extension as this is their first visit to USA. The IO is testing your parents case and he would have made a mention in the computer. Even if you apply for an extension, it will not be granted without any proper reason.
Best thing is to spend some quality time with your parents and take them round part of USA and send them back before the I 94 expiry date of your mother.
This will build confidence with the IO and your parents will get full 6 months' stay when they come back next.

I understand from another forum where you have posted that you got your mother's I 94 expiry date corrected to that of your father's I 94 expiry date. If that being the case, legally both father and mother can stay with you till the last date of the I 94 expiry date.
If they leave before the expiry of the I 94 date, they do not need to worry. What they have to do is to preserve their air ticket and boarding pass and bring with them when then come again to USA to explain at POE that they left USA before the expiry of I 94.
If I were you, I will send them back 10 to 15 days before the expiry of I 94 expiry date.

My mother got restricted stay on B2!

My mother came from India. She has visited YS around 10 times till now.

She came to US in Sept '07 and left in Jan '08 - she got 6 months on her I-94.
She came in May '08 and left in Sept '08 - she got 6 months on her I-94

She came back today Nov 5th - got a restricted stay stamp till Jan 15th - No EOS/COS. Her return ticket is for March 22nd.

Is there any way to extend her stay till March 22nd?

I hear mention of Deffered Inspection Offices in this thread. Can I go there for a reconsideration a day later? Do I need to seek an appointment or is it a walk in?

What can be a good reason to ask for a date change?

Any advice will help.

The IO at POE felt that your mother is coming to USA frequently and gave a restricted stay. I would suggest that she should return back as per I 94 date to avoid any future entry problem. The IO must have made an entry in the computer about her frequent visit though he had not made any mention in the passport. You can not go to deferred inspection office for this issue. Only thing you can do is to apply for an extension. It may be or may not be granted because she is already given a restricted entry. Normally extension is requested and granted for a life and death situation.

In the last 14 months, your mother had already spent 8 months in the US. I am not surprised she got a restricted I-94. It could have been worse. What if she had been refused entry? The admitting officer suspected her intentions. Her travel pattern clearly shows she is using her visitor visa to spend majority of her time in the US. By annotating her I-94 with "No EOS/COS", the officer has closed such options for her. If you do not want to endanger her visa and entry privileges any further, do not apply for an extension. She should depart before Jan 15th and then not seek entry for a good year at least.

She came to US in Sept '07 and left in Jan '08 - she got 6 months on her I-94.
She came in May '08 and left in Sept '08 - she got 6 months on her I-94

She came back today Nov 5th - got a restricted stay stamp till Jan 15th - No EOS/COS. Her return ticket is for March 22nd.

Thanks Guys,

I understand that there is no good point in trying for an extension.

However, I am not getting any return tickets before Jan 15th.

What is this deferred inspection office? How was creativeum been able to "correct" the I-94? Why cannot I go and get it "corrected"?

WR

It looks like that you have not read or understood the posting of creativeum. His issue is different and your issue is different and your issue has got nothing to do with deffered inspection office.
In the interest of your own mother please try any airlines which can accommadate her to leave USA before I 94 due date.

You may take your mother to deferred inspection office at the airport and explain the situation. I read in an another forum of the similar incident and the lady was also given the same duration of her husband. Good Luck.

Thanks for your responses. I was able to get the I-94 corrected at the local office.
Thanks again for your time!!

Can someone please tell how this deferred inspection is achieved? My parents arrived last night. My mother got JUN X 2009 while my father got JAN X 2009. They intend to stay 3 months.

I am in the bay area, CA. Would local office be San Francisco city USICS office (where my address falls under) or is there an office at San Francisco airport, which was their point of entry?

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please take your parent with their I 94 cards to the airport where they made their entry into USA. Please explain to the deferred inspection office about the situation and if luck prevails the I 94 will be corrected.

Please take your parent with their I 94 cards to the airport where they made their entry into USA. Please explain to the deferred inspection office about the situation and if luck prevails the I 94 will be corrected.

Per the following link, in San Francisco Airport, there is no such office. We would have to go to the city

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/contacts/deferred_inspection/deferred_inspection_sites.ctt/deferred_inspection_sites.pdf

I don't know if this becomes more confusing since the POE is SFO where there is no deferred inspection office.

Deferred inspection does not exist so that I-94s may be extended. Totally different beast.

Triple Citizen,
Please read OP post no 1 and 5 again.
We are not discussing about the extension here but the correction in I 94.